Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Rooms

Options
  • 30-10-2004 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

Now I guess I should start off stating that this is not a troll. When a gay man is in a changing room of a gym for example, does he check out the other guys there in the buff? I guess for me it would be like being in the female changing room, as I'm hetro, and being able to see the women naked, something I think I would enjoy. A friend of mine I discussed this with seems to think that they would feel self concious, being a gay man in a room, naked, with mainly hetro men. At least now I won't have to speculate anymore if my questions are answered. I have an ex work colleague who I meet the odd time down at the gym, and while he has not come out except to closer colleagues/friends, most people know he is gay. I have no problem talking to him in the changing rooms as we are getting changed and vice versa, but maybe this is because he knows I have no problem with his sexuality. Maybe he worries about other guys and whether they may think he's gay and not feel comfortable changing in front of him. The gym in question has a number of meat heads who are not very broad minded, as I'm sure a lot of other gyms have too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Twyford

I think your mates probably right. When at the gym, Im not inclined to get cheap jimmys by sneaking peeps at uninterested guys. They'd be right to take offense if they thought i was.

Curiously though, I've seen lesbians in the guys changing rooms a few times. They blent in better then might have in the girls, but if anyone ever suggested I use the girls, they’d get a thorough rodgering.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

I've only once met a gay person who admitted to getting a thrill out of seeing guys flacid willies in the buff when changing and to be honest I found it a little disgusting.

I'm not going to pretend that if an attractive man is next to me in the cahnging rooms I don't notice him :) but I would have a lot more respect for him than to oogle his package.

You know, believe it or not, some gay men aren't thinking about their next shag every waking minute of the day!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

You know, believe it or not, some gay men aren't thinking about their next shag every waking minute of the day!

Wow, gay men really are different from straight men! :)

I wondered about this too. Wonder what happens in changing rooms of gyms with a large gay customer base?
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭HerrLipp

:)

I am :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Syth wrote:
    Wow, gay men really are different from straight men! :)

I wondered about this too. Wonder what happens in changing rooms of gyms with a large gay customer base?
    :rolleyes:

Well do you really think gay men would be trying ot get a hard on in a room full of un known men, who may or may no be willing to throw in afew kicks to a gay guy. Seems stupidity in the heights of stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Boston wrote:
    Well do you really think gay men would be trying ot get a hard on in a room full of un known men, who may or may no be willing to throw in afew kicks to a gay guy. Seems stupidity in the heights of stupidity.
    I think he may have meant that what would the attitude be of a gay guy being in a club that is known to be full of gays. In other words; if you were in a club, and you knew they were al gay, would you try to hide yourself more (as some straight guys may do in front of women), or flaunt what you have, in the hope of picking up some praise?

I'm gonna get flamed for these comments, but f*ck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

the_syco wrote:
    or flaunt what you have, in the hope of picking up some praise?[/SIZE]

Or maybe not give a fck and just get changed and go into the gym and go training. Syco, you really have a low and pretty dumb view of gay men. I cannot see any benefit from your posts in this forum. All you seem to do is bring in your very narrow-minded stereotypes into this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

the_syco wrote:
    I think he may have meant that what would the attitude be of a gay guy being in a club that is known to be full of gays. In other words; if you were in a club, and you knew they were al gay, would you try to hide yourself more (as some straight guys may do in front of women), or flaunt what you have, in the hope of picking up some praise?

I'm gonna get flamed for these comments, but f*ck it.

Hmm, the flaunt what you have thing, just reminds me of all that crap on American TV about males in changing rooms, comparing length. Have you ever actually been to an Irish gym or swimming pool. despite what you've heard most gay men aren't sexual defiant, like most people they don't get to many kicks out of being naked infront of random people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Miss Mann

Unless you're good looking, a gay man is not gonna look at your saggy ass.

xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Boston wrote:
    Hmm, the flaunt what you have thing, just reminds me of all that crap on American TV about males in changing rooms, comparing length.

I find that a lot of the straight guys check themselves out all the time in the mirrors, some as they are walking by but loads just look at themselves and flex and then you get somes dudes who watch themselves in the mirror as they get changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Tidy Trax

Miss Mann wrote:
    Unless you're good looking, a gay man is not gonna look at your saggy ass. xx
    2 right lol

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

damien.m wrote:
    Or maybe not give a fck and just get changed and go into the gym and go training. Syco, you really have a low and pretty dumb view of gay men. I cannot see any benefit from your posts in this forum. All you seem to do is bring in your very narrow-minded stereotypes into this forum.
    Actually, one of the ways I learn is by asking questions.
    By asking, I now know that if there is a gay dude in the changing room as well, I won't be as self concious.

Also, if I bring my "very narrow-minded stereotypes" into the forum, I loose some when I leave. There's no FAQ about gays, so I ask. If the way I ask offends you, I'm sorry, but if I'm to not ask questions again, who else am I to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

I think that any human being of either sex and regardless of sexual preference when in proximity to another human being of either sex who is naked will take at least a quick glance, unless because of socialization a serious effort is made not to look. This is probably an evolutionary habit, related in general to evaluation of threat/comfort/sex and the like. The Syco might ask himself about his own behaviour when naked or when confronted with nakedness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Actually, one of the ways I learn is by asking questions.
    By asking, I now know that if there is a gay dude in the changing room as well, I won't be as self concious.

Also, if I bring my "very narrow-minded stereotypes" into the forum, I loose some when I leave. There's no FAQ about gays, so I ask. If the way I ask offends you, I'm sorry, but if I'm to not ask questions again, who else am I to ask?

You're not offending people, they just need to know that you're curious and not merely being a bigot. It's a bit of a kneejerk reaction, but you can't blame them, they're accustomed to it. So just try being a little more diplomatic and tactful, and you'll get more helpful replies. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Boston wrote:
    Hmm, the flaunt what you have thing, just reminds me of all that crap on American TV about males in changing rooms, comparing length.
    WOW!
    What american tv shows have *I* been missing??? ;)

In a changing room, ud have to be one seriously good lookin guy, to even get a passing glance (mores the pity)! LOL ... seriously tho, most people just wanna get dressed an get out of stinky changing rooms asap! ;)

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Syco, you really have a low and pretty dumb view of gay men.

A bit harsh I think. It's just a question, and if the answer has potential to be informative it doesn't hurt to answer. The only stupid questions are the un-asked ones which leave people with uninformed information in their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think amid all the niceties and wound healing that this tread has lost focus of the questions raised by the FX Meister.

FX asked whether gay men sexual objectify other men by checking them out when they're getting changed.
    The answer to this is obvious, and has been confirmed by most of the gay posters. He may now be on note. Gay men are "sneaking peaks", "ogling", "getting cheap jimmies", and (herrlip) lusting after the next shag they can get etc.

Then he asked whether his gay colleague was self-conscious getting changed with people who are aware of this, and averse to it. This seems to be the right place to ask, and yet nobodies answered it.

He went on to say that, in his experience, gay men are narcissistic hedonists, absorbed in their physical appearance. Do readers think that this is the case and, if so, what is the cause?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭HerrLipp

and (herrlip) lusting after the next shag they can get etc.

Wow, quoting a joke in order to back up your argument, you must have everyone in this forum convinced :)
    Then he asked whether his gay colleague was self-conscious getting changed with people who are aware of this, and averse to it. This seems to be the right place to ask, and yet nobodies answered it.

We're still trying to get his gay colleague on the phone.
    He went on to say that, in his experience, gay men are narcissistic hedonists, absorbed in their physical appearance. Do readers think that this is the case and, if so, what is the cause?

Civil liberties for women and other such stuff on the bleeding heart liberal agenda I'd presume?

Really, do you think there's not a section of the straight community that engages in the same behaviour? Gays only get attention for this kind of thing because it's those particular gays that get the most visibility, and normal gay people tend to slip into invisibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

FX asked whether gay men sexual objectify other men by checking them out when they're getting changed.
    The answer to this is obvious, and has been confirmed by most of the gay posters.

Uhm, what thread are you reading? Because the gay posters in this thread didn't confirm it.

Even your alter-ego denied it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭boomdogman

Hey syco I'd always cop a look. I work on the assumption that gay until proven str8. Ok I would be polite but I would look. Most str8 guys notice so little anyway its fine, the one that do are either flattered or interested.

As to asking questions, keep on asking, Damian can bark but the moderators usually stop him biting
    Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

boomdogman wrote:
    Ok I would be polite but I would look. Most str8 guys notice so little anyway its fine, the one that do are either flattered or interested.

Ah fantastic - so you get your cheap thrills and then just mumble a sorry when you're caught out? Sounds a bit pervy to me...
    boomdogman wrote:
    Most str8 guys notice so little anyway its fine,

Just out of interest - are you one of these people who takes pictures up womens skirts when they're asleep? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

NoelRock wrote:
    Just out of interest - are you one of these people who takes pictures up womens skirts when they're asleep? :rolleyes:
    All the time hehehe.....oh wait....*Offler runs away very quickly

;)

Cheap thrilss? No noel but I do get to look and no I NEVER mumble or mutter. Last time I got caught looking I just said "Fantastic ass man"2 which seemed fair to me.
    Whats your problem with having eyes Noel? Prefer people did not see each other?

don't we all look really? regardless of sexual orientation I think that we are engineered to take a quick glance and see how we "measure" up as such..

I wouldn't be offended at this, unless it was really blatant or involved some unasked for phsyical attention, can't see it ever coming to that tbh...I'm an ugly fcuker :D

No body is ugly honest, least not after I have 3 pints!

I always take a peak at guys. I am a 15 year old gay male. Yes so it may be controverial but I KNOW who and what I am. I go to the swimming pool just to get a thrill looking at guys.

Advertisement