Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a p45

• 30-10-2004 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

I was working part-time while I was in college and I tried to get a p45 off my last employer but they seem to be completely ignoring me. Its being 3 months now since I left the job and they had a month notice so we can say four months altogether.

Can I do anything about this or do I have to wait. I would like to know legally do they have time frame or not and if so what do I do now.

By the way I'm not the only one. Everyone that leaves the place have to wait about six months to get it.

Oh its UCI Coolock

Thanks for the advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I think once you leave your job, your employer must issue a P45 and send it off to the Revenue. However, I dont think there's an actual law or rather a law that is enforce as I did payroll before and its quite common that previous employer issues the P45, if they issued it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭samo

I was told by someone (Not someone that works in a tax office I'm afraid but that has had a lot of dealings with them!) that once the tax office request the P45 off employer they have a certain timeframe to comply (3 days or something) and then if that havent issued they can be hit with a massive fine.

I dont know how accurate that is but would def contact tax office again if havent already as this happened to me twice, 1st time as soon as tax office rang was issued and 2nd time required me sitting in the companies reception with my 2 kids and letting them destroy the place and they did it 10 mins to get rid of me! (not an option for everyone!!)

Other than that you can get a P45 issued by the tax office itself, I think this is the case where you dont want new employer to see earnings or something, it just has tax band on it or prsi paid, check it out with the tax office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

ciasto wrote:
    Its being 3 months now since I left the job and they had a month notice so we can say four months altogether.

Can I do anything about this or do I have to wait. I would like to know legally do they have time frame or not and if so what do I do now.

Thanks for the advice.

Contact the tax office as they say here
    You are entitled to a P45 form when you leave work. If you experience any difficulty in obtaining a form P45 from your employer, you should notify the tax office.

Really the Revenue are your friends here, as they want to make sure that they get the tax and PRSI that you paid, and someone late with a P45 is very dodgy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you are having trouble with a new employer and emergency tax, then your best bet (if it's dragged on for longer than a month) is to contact the tax office and have them reissue your certificate of tax credits to your new employer.

Just make sure that you do get the P45 off the old employer and give it to the new employer, or you may end up paying less tax than you should. Not that I've ever done it *cough* ;)

Advertisement