Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amd Pci-express Motherboards Are Just Here

Options
  • 30-10-2004 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭

i see all of you AMD users out there wont have to wait to long for for pci-express to come your way .VIA have produced the first pci-e motherboards for the .AMD Opteron / Athlon FX / Athlon 64 / Sempron (939, 940 & 754 pin)
    ....i know there chipsets ain't as good as the nivida chipset which runs two pci express cards together ...the closest youll get to that at the moment is this ...the new scan 3xs sli cobra which is reviewed in this months custom-pc mag which BTW is a great mag best around for modding ,,,,,anyhow it one kick ass system ...without overclocking it got 7500 in 3dmark05 but the price of this rig is nearly 4 grand in GBP so get saving......

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/k8-series/k8t890/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Going to wait for the NForce boards myself. Don't mind the wait too much as hopefully the chips and cards will have come down in price a bit by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

get yourself a copy of custom-pc mag in easons and have a look at the SCAN 3XS-SLI COBRA....only downfall is the no1 "the price...no2 the second pci-e only has 8 pipeline unlike the frist which has 16x....id say it will be a long long wait before inel will even consider placing 2x pci-e 16x on there motherboards .seems its nvidea's baby :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

im gonna wait for the nForces too, my plan is im gonna build something smaller for lans and stuff, put my s754 stuff in it then get a pci-e s939 set up for my main rig...gonna be expensive but all my money goes on my pcs anyways :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You do realise that the Nvidea chipset reduces a 16x Pci Express slots speed from 16x to 8x when you enable SLI mode. So you get two 8x speed Pci Express slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You do realise that the Nvidea chipset reduces a 16x Pci Express slots speed from 16x to 8x when you enable SLI mode. So you get two 8x speed Pci Express slots.

Dosn't matter at this point in time, no card needs anywhere near 16x pci-e atm.

BloodBath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

BloodBath wrote:
    Dosn't matter at this point in time, no card needs anywhere near 16x pci-e atm.

BloodBath

I was soon going to follow that up with that once i got a smart arse reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

anyone know if there's going to be PCI-4x slots ? I remember seeing them mentioned a few places, but its only 1x and 16x so far.

I mean an ideal system would want to have near 36-42 pci-express lanes available. 2 x 16, and either 4 x 1, or 2x1 and 2x4. Then have integrated giga-ethernet in the northbridge (nvidia/intel style), and a 1x or 4x sound card. Of course along with sata cd/dvd drives. And a power supply with all sata power(maybe an old floppy) and 2 pci-e power connectors.

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

Maybe an after christmas purchase for me me thinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Azza wrote:
    Maybe an after christmas purchase for me me thinks!

Im seriosly thinking the same tho Ill probley wait 3-4 months for the mobo market to settle down.

yeh im doing the same...are these sli then..i dont know much about pci-e boards..whether only a few have sli or if they all do :(

but since its going in to my main rig im gonna hunt down a couple of GT's i think...or will i have to wait?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

If it's a SLI capable motherboard, you'll know straight away because it will have SLI capable listed in it's spec sheet somewhere, on the front of the box and on the manufacturers website. If you take a look at the two slots you'll be using for the gfx cards, SLI capable motherboards have a bigger gap between the two PCI-E slots used for the gfx cards than other boards that don't support it being the biggest giveaway. Due to some of the cards having dual slot cooling solutions I believe.

you could find a couple GT's to get working in SLI now if you wanted to..

yeh now..but id have to switch to intel?...nevvverrr! :p

ill wait for the amd ones to settle ..and anyways im completely utterly...broke im gonna be putting my current motherboard..vid card and cpu in new smaller machine for lans..then i need to purchase some more ram..optical drive..hdd....and a psu AND case..juse to get him up and a running, THEN a nice brand new spanking pci-e board....another cpu..and 2 6800gt's...good god i think im gonna go buy about 20 scratch cards tomorrow...my student loan just isnt up to my addiction :(

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

good god i think im gonna go buy about 20 scratch cards tomorrow...my student loan just isnt up to my addiction

Least you have a student load I don't get squat.

yeh but..mines gone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Im gonna wait till the amd ones are out too and buy the cpu kit for the vapochill and see how much the socket 939's go up to, if i start saving now i will have it be nex november, hahahaahah. I'd love to get the fx-55 and phaschange it and watch those oc's go up, :D

Advertisement