Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When your side is not in the Premiership?

• 30-10-2004 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

This year has been extremely tough as a Leeds supporter.
    Certainly not the same interest in Match of the day, sky sports MNF & todayfm's premiership live for example.
    Instead you use web links to Radio Aire or your local sides home station to keep updated on goings on & God knows this is daily at Elland Road.
    I never thought I would be as uninterested in premiership happenings this time last year.
    Anybody else have this experience since the thing started in 2002-2003 season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Sky Sports cover the lower leagues very well , especially the first division(The Championship) .

I was talking to some Leeds fans today and all of them are excited by the signing of David Healy (Northern Ireland's record goalscorer and still fairly young) , I don't know how a Premiership side never signed him .(how the hell do Preston get such good strikers , Cresswell , Macken , Fuller , Healy) .

anyway , an optimist among the group(that I was talking to) suggested they will get promoted , but I think the other two would be happy finishing in the top ten , which would in no doubt be a good achivement considering how bad things were last year .

Leeds have also seemed to sort out the finnicial side of things and although getting promotion to the Premiership is though , I beleive Leeds will achieve this in 3 or 4 years .

As for me my side is flying high under Graham Souness , so I can't imagine the toon being out of the top division , but remember people , your club could be......another Leeds !!! :eek: :eek: :eek: .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Big Ears wrote:
    your club could be......another Leeds !!! :eek: :eek: :eek: .

we were close to that before under dalglish and gullit. :eek:

I would have to agree with big ears, i believe this season leeds arent playing to their ability, but give them at least one year to settle into the championship, then you'll see them fighting for promotion, or even to win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I know it sounds fickle, but you could always take an interest in some other Premiership team, purely for the purposes of entertainment, until Leeds return. I know I'm an Arsenal fan, so I haven't a clue what it feels like (we've never ever been relegated), but I have a soft spot for Crystal Palace, so I always keep an eye out for their results. It can really pick you up on a day like this!

A few years ago, myself and a friend of mine who is a United supporter decided we were sick of high-quality football and trophies and stuff, and we were going to take up supporting somebody really crap to get the proper football experience. So, we decided to start supporting the mighty Halifax Town who were in Division 3 at the time. I would have bought a jersey off their website, if only they'd discovered e-commerce in Halifax. We were going to go to a match at one stage too, but couldn't get tickets very easily!

Sadly, Halifax were then relegated, and nearly lost their place in the Conference last year. This year they're going pretty well though - 4th place, although they're a good 10 points off promotion. They have a young kid called Mallon who is scoring them plenty of goals. We must be the only 2 people who religiously play with Halifax Town in Championship Manager too! I think my mate won the Premiership with them one time, but didn't quite manage to crack the Champions League!

Be a REAL football supporter - support Halifax!

mr_angry wrote:
    I know it sounds fickle, but you could always take an interest in some other Premiership team, purely for the purposes of entertainment, until Leeds return. I know I'm an Arsenal fan, so I haven't a clue what it feels like (we've never ever been relegated), but I have a soft spot for Crystal Palace, so I always keep an eye out for their results. It can really pick you up on a day like this!

I just can't find words to explain my anger at this idea .
    :(:( :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Not a Crystal Palace fan then, huh? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't follow any particular team in the Premiership but always pick one of the newly promoted sides and back them to avoid the drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Big Ears wrote:

i bets hes only been an arsenal fan since 1998.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Lot of Arsenal fans like that (j/k)

To Big Ears:

I think Preston have some sort of connection with Man United and tend to take on guys who dont quite make the grade at OT. Both Macken and Healy were originally at United as trainees anyway.

i bets hes only been an arsenal fan since 1998.
    1988 actually. Believe me, I remember the dark days of the George Graham era, finishing behind Southampton in the league, not scoring for the whole month of November, and the infamous loss to Wrexham in the cup.

I'm just big enough to admit that supporting teams in the lower leagues can be enjoyable too, without the success. Lots of United and Arsenal fans not like that. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

mr_angry wrote:

A few years ago, myself and a friend of mine who is a United supporter decided we were sick of high-quality football and trophies and stuff, and we were going to take up supporting somebody really crap to get the proper football experience. So, we decided to start supporting the mighty Halifax Town who were in Division 3 at the time. I would have bought a jersey off their website, if only they'd discovered e-commerce in Halifax. We were going to go to a match at one stage too, but couldn't get tickets very easily!

Sadly, Halifax were then relegated, and nearly lost their place in the Conference last year. This year they're going pretty well though - 4th place, although they're a good 10 points off promotion. They have a young kid called Mallon who is scoring them plenty of goals. We must be the only 2 people who religiously play with Halifax Town in Championship Manager too! I think my mate won the Premiership with them one time, but didn't quite manage to crack the Champions League!

You could have spent your time and money supporting a local team

• Advertisement

When your team is not in the Premiership you look down your nose at it, complain that its corrupt and controlled my money grabbing agents, chairmen and players. Repeatedly state that it is a 3 team league and the Coca Cola Championship is far more competitive.

Then when you get promoted all that goes out the window.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Big Ears wrote:

whats wrong with that idea? I personally 'like' a few other teams apart from the team i support (everton) and like to see them do well... whats wrong with that???

whats wrong with that idea? I personally 'like' a few other teams apart from the team i support (everton) and like to see them do well... whats wrong with that???

its the bit that says take an interest in another club higher up in league standings until you're own team gets back up there .

You support your team through the good and the bad , and although you may like to see certain sides do well while your club is in a lower divisions , you don't start supporting that team , as one of the main reasons your supporting this other team is because what division they are in : supporting a team based on how well they do .

note: there is nothing wrong with wishing teams well (you would do that while your side is in the top div too ) , im talking about supporting a Prem club while your's is away , It seems I was in a not really reading what people write mood(as mr_angry was just talking about wishing teams well ) when I first posted , maybe I have been looking at the slydice special thread to much , as that thread requires little reading :p .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

mr_angry wrote:

Be a REAL football supporter- Support DUNDALK

They could do with it.... being sixth in the 1st division! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

mr_angry wrote:

that is quite bizarre - i used to always watch out for halifax and that legend goal scorer David Norris - they got relegated but he scored about 30 goals.

back to the topic i actually support Sheffield Wednesday.it can be quite difficult to get results for them if you dont have access to the internet.the first year they got relegated was ok cus aertel still cover the championship but the next year they went down to the 1st division (2nd division,technically 3rd division!!!!who decides these things!)has proved more difficult.

i really dont care about the premier league while wednesday arent in it.i watch it cus i will watch any football.another team i used to watch the result of would be southampton and was because of matt le tissier.
    he should have had his own goal of the month competiton.the genius who couldnt be arsed

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I know exactly what kilkennycat means. I'm a Leeds fan too and TBH I really couldn't give a crap about the Premiership this season. Admittedly the last couple of years have been tough for Leeds fans so it's a wonder that any of us are still interested in football at all. :rolleyes:

As for the suggestion of taking an interest in another team, being the proper Leeds fan I am I hate everyone else, with the exception of West Ham for some strange reason. I think it might go back to the Brooking/Lampard/Devonshire days when they were always a good team to watch. Unfortunately they're in the same division as Leeds now so I have to hate them too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

that is quite bizarre - i used to always watch out for halifax and that legend goal scorer David Norris - they got relegated but he scored about 30 goals.

back to the topic i actually support Sheffield Wednesday.it can be quite difficult to get results for them if you dont have access to the internet.the first year they got relegated was ok cus aertel still cover the championship but the next year they went down to the 1st division (2nd division,technically 3rd division!!!!who decides these things!)has proved more difficult.

i really dont care about the premier league while wednesday arent in it.i watch it cus i will watch any football.another team i used to watch the result of would be southampton and was because of matt le tissier.
    he should have had his own goal of the month competiton.the genius who couldnt be arsed

A fellow Wednesday supporter! so there is a few of us about! I usually can get all the results on BBC1! then watch highlights on Sky on Sunay mornings or just read the match report on the web! usually very indept :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

There is a bit of romance with supporting a club in the lower divisions, when they get promoted people look out for them to see how they're getting on. When Norwich were in the 1st Division I didn't get to see them much on tv and subscribed to CanariesWorld. That was my main way of getting to know what was happening. Now we're in the Premiership I've been to 6 games already and just back from the Man City game. Also went to Bolton vs Newcastle on Sunday which was good.

Advertisement