Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Flashing Orange Lights

Options
  • 30-10-2004 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

We all know that flashing blue lights are reserved for official vehicles, Gardai, Ambulance, Fire etc. and the Road Traffic Acts (or similar SI's) limit their use to such.

But flashing orange lights seem to be overused
    County County Council Trucks, Bin Trucks, Tractors, Road Surfacing Trucks ok, but I've even seen tow trucks (not towing anything) with their lights on, I've even seen cars in normal traffic, with a single flashing orange light on the roof, maybe some police wannabe? Flashing orange is meant to signal a warning, like an indicator.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

AFAIK the use of flashing orange lights is technically illegal but tolerated. It is much over used - some guys just love the opportunity to switch them on!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Lots of vans and the like are equipped with them for safety reasons for when they are on industrial sites etc (the kind of places with a lot of truck/forklift/foot traffic), rather than on the open road. I don't think they're illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I always move out of the way to let cars with these orange flashing lights on the roof. Its obviously a council engineer on the way to yet another life or death emergency and I wouldn't want to be delaying them . :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The point of the orange lights is not generally to get people to make way, its to warn of a hazard (wide load, slow moving vehicle, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They aren't flashing, they are rotating. Legal difference ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

the lighthouse argument

Advertisement