Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME overcharging on budget games

Options
  • 30-10-2004 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else noticed this recently? They've been selling both Gradius V and now Midway Arcade Treasures 2 for €44.99, instead of €29.99. Ended up ordering them both from Play.com for €20, but it's a pain in the arse when you want to get something on release day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Did you ask them about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I didn't bother arguing the toss over MAT2 because the place was packed with people looking for GTASA. But with Gradius V, they insisted they had the right price and it wasn't a budget game. The funny thing was, it was €44.99 in one GAME and €59.99 in another.

It's strange because they seem to be the only places that had both of Gradius and MAT2 on release day. I've since seen Gradius for €29.99 nearly everywhere, but nowhere else has MAT2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They are ripping people off. Gradius V is definitely a budget game. The rrp from Konami is 29.99 euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Khalim

i also saw Wario Ware: Mega Party Games at GAME Henry Street for 59.99Euros.

I thought that game was supposed to be budget as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That's 29.99 in Tallaght...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Whats so unusual about GAME overcharging? Been doing it for years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

smiaras wrote:

I bought midway arcade 2 for €30 outta xtra-vision today. Gamestop are usually the same

smiaras wrote:

Translation, we'll rip you off if you're too lazy to shop around, and if you do realise this and complain to us the best we'll do is match the price. So you might as well buy it where you find it cheaper.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

So you might as well buy it where you find it cheaper.

Well, you could ring around and find out prices in other stores, then go into Game if it's handier. Plus, you get to use your Game club card (which is probably worth bugger all actually...)

smiaras wrote:

These days I find few games that are worth the sticker price that I am less and less willing to pay sticker price for them. Theres still a few that I would, Rome Total War, Pacfic Fighters, etc. But I won't pay much for a title like Doom3 which for me personally has so little replay value. Other games like Far Cry etc., I'll wait to get 2nd hand or in the budget bin. Theres lots of great older games, like HomeWorld2 in the budget bins these days. But like the title of the thread you still have to shop around as its price even on budget varies enormously.

Well, you could ring around and find out prices in other stores, then go into Game if it's handier. Plus, you get to use your Game club card (which is probably worth bugger all actually...)

Why reward them with your business? Thats just lazy and self defeating.

Game club card - give them free market research you mean....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Ah no xtra-vision are a bit of a joke these days, I saw them selling GTA3 and GTAVC seperately, even though they were supposed to be in the GTA Double Pack- oh yeah, they were retailing for €50 EACH!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

smiaras wrote:

The old shop around nonsense. Find a retailer that does their best to get you the lowest price; if that means go online, then go online…

And, yeah, shop around... :rolleyes:

http://www.play.com/
    http://www.cdwow.ie/
    http://www2.cd-wow.com.hk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Whats so unusual about Irish retailers overcharging? Been doing it for years...
    Fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Why reward them with your business? Thats just lazy and self defeating.

Self-defeating? Explain how.
    It is indeed lazy, and I have no problem with that. If I live five minutes from a Game store, why would I trek over to some other shop just to 'stick it to the man'?

There's no need to be so negative.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

people still buy games in shops these days? :-|

Wertz wrote:
    Fixed.

What is that meant to mean?
    smiaras wrote:

..and they'd prefer to pay MORE for a game?
    Self-defeating? Explain how.
    It is indeed lazy, and I have no problem with that. If I live five minutes from a Game store, why would I trek over to some other shop just to 'stick it to the man'? There's no need to be so negative.

Your sustaining high prices, by not shopping around.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

smiaras wrote:
    Well there are sites out there where you can find pre-owned games too, including the for sale part of boards.

smiaras wrote:

I don't get the logic, where someone who can't get a credit card, can afford to throw money away by buying overpriced goods.

Trading in saves a pittance and then only on console games. You still won't make back the difference of being overcharged in the first place.

Ultimately it means you can afford less games. Where the smarts in that?

• Advertisement

By buying in Game you are over spending even without using a credit card. If you have to start buying and selling games between shops, then that kinda suggests that your watching the pennies doesn't it. So buying in Game doesn't make any sense.

Advertisement