Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buses & Queues.

• 30-10-2004 4:17pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What the hell is with people queueing for buses on the northside? I mean from O Connell street onwards people queue, in a nice neat straight line right down the middle. It's so ... annoying, esp being a south sider.

See on the south side, everyone stands around the busstop, and when a bus DOES appear, there is a slight surge, and whoevers nearest gets on first. Simple.

And then there is the obvious south sider on the northside, ie, me. I just stood there, lookin at the queue. And when the bus came, I walked on. To which an old man litreally, grabbed me and pulled me back saying "we were here queueing missy". I wouldn't mind, but I'd been there the same amount of time as him. I just didn't QUEUE!

I don't wanna queue either, cuz people always gather round the top and get on first anyway.

I don't even care WHEN I get on the bus, I jsut wanna go home eventually.

What's with that??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Yes this is a pickle...

I hate queing for things... and letting old ladies have my seat. Grr...

Busses should just be a free for all and we should all just mill to get on...

No i jape.
    Yes it is annoying when you're at the back of the que and youve been waiting 20 minutes and some jerk hops on thats just walked up!

And by the way JesJes, ever gotten the bus outside DCU heading towards the city centre? No queing left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

I always do it myself, but when i see someone else do it, it drives me mad.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Sometimes there is queues outside DCU. But that doesnt really count cuz there is a bus every five mins, so people generally shift quite easy.

But in town, waiting for any bus on Oconnell street. AGH!

Who started that silly trend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Jesjes wrote:
    Who started that silly trend?

Todd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Jesus, some one end this. It's called manners. You Queue because it's orderly and polite.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Never queued for a bus in my life. Actually, I don't think I've ever even seen a queue for a bus, just pile-ons.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Yea I noticed this aswell lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

If there is no noticable queue, you will have to know your place.

It is basically called manners and unfortunately there are a lot of folk who are really lacking in that department. They always get an earful from me to wait their turn if they try and skip my position in the queue (unless they look as if they are packing a knife!).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

My question was not one of manners, but merely I wanted to point out how it differed on each side of the city.

Yes it is mannerly, if there is a queue to join it.

But why does one side bother, and the other not.

Surely, south siders have manners too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

See black guys, they drive a car like this...

But white guys, they drive a car like this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Jesjes wrote:

Surely, south siders have manners too...

Ah yes, but the thin veil of civility is cast aside double quick when there's a seat on public transport up for grabs...it's like Lord of the Flies on the 46A...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

I don't queue 'cause if I did I'd get pissed off with people like you skipping me. It's a "if you can't beat them, join them" kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ah yes, but the thin veil of civility is cast aside double quick when there's a seat on public transport up for grabs...it's like Lord of the Flies on the 46A...
    Or when Dublin Bus decide to be absolute ****wits and put a single decker on the 49 route during rush hour, and some fat bitch doesn't fold up her buggy (taking up the 3 folding seats) and sits just far enough out from the window that nobody can take the other half of the seat.
    *shakes fist*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

The queues for buses are a real pain. Why do people think there is a need to queue. Its alot more relaxed when people just stand near the bus stop and then when(if) a bus turns up, anyone waiting just gets on. What difference does it really make in the end!
    I noticed queueing alot for the DCU buses, maybe its cus they can be full and so only the first few can get on??

It happens alot with the enterprise (train that is ) - someone starts queueing about an hour before the train is due to leave and once people see a queue its rude not to queue - drives me nuts anyway.

btw i dont think manners are involved at all when queues start, its just some fool decides to queue and then everyone follows suit - then everyone gets pissed off when someone skips the queue.
    If there were no queues, noone would skip them, so noone would get pissed off, so everyone would be happy and so there would be no wars and world peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

If there were no queues, noone would skip them, so noone would get pissed off, so everyone would be happy and so there would be no wars and world peace.

Obviously never had to wait on the 52 at Sydney Parade then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The queues for buses are a real pain. Why do people think there is a need to queue. Its alot more relaxed when people just stand near the bus stop and then when(if) a bus turns up, anyone waiting just gets on. What difference does it really make in the end!
    I noticed queueing alot for the DCU buses, maybe its cus they can be full and so only the first few can get on??

It happens alot with the enterprise (train that is ) - someone starts queueing about an hour before the train is due to leave and once people see a queue its rude not to queue - drives me nuts anyway.

btw i dont think manners are involved at all when queues start, its just some fool decides to queue and then everyone follows suit - then everyone gets pissed off when someone skips the queue.

You seem to have missed the point of a queue. Try waiting an hour for a bus (first one waiting) then let everyone else on and the bus is then packed. You will then have to wait for the next one. Are you the type that causes havoc in taxi rank queues? What do you do at the cash machine? Just barge in and throw the person using the machine to the side? At the checkout in the shop, you just waltz to the top and pay and out you go. It has everything to do with manners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

i have a theory! The Dublin bus office is in O'Connell street so i would think there are plenty of inspectors there and maybe they get people in a Q sometimes so that regular people there just Q and then humans being nothing more than cattle simply follow suit and do the same. I guess that means We southsiders are not cattle but predators waiting for an opening to make the kill :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Or when Dublin Bus decide to be absolute ****wits and put a single decker on the 49 route during rush hour, and some fat bitch doesn't fold up her buggy (taking up the 3 folding seats) and sits just far enough out from the window that nobody can take the other half of the seat.
    *shakes fist*

Yep that pisses me off too....but i'm the sort of arsehole who will insist on sitting on that seat even if its uncomfortable for me just to make it uncomfortable for them (and i'm quite big...19st :eek: ).

I have never seen a bus queue on the southside i have to admit...strange! :)

i do believe in queing and i will make a point of telling people off if they try to barge in or are rude....but without sounding hypocritical there is one queue that i will barge in on and that's the RYANAIR queue at the airport. I detest the way people start lining up to board when the steward/ess tells everyone to sit down or let children/wheelchairs to come up first. as soon as she makes this announcement every gets up and blocks the gate :mad: So then people in need of assitance have to battle there way thru these idiots.

I have absolutely no qualms walking agrsively thru/over these people when i have the priority boarding pass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Sarn

There are rudimentary queues on the southside. Take for example the bus stops on nassau street.

1. A simplistic queue begins i.e. queues radiate out on both sides from the actual stop along the wall.
    2. As people come along they join either end.
    3. The queues become too long, new people walk right up to the stop effectively skipping those who were waiting.
    4. Once this happens and a bus comes along, those people who have been waiting longer than the t*sser who walked to the top surge forward.
    5. Chaos ensues.

Queues only work when there are small numbers of people, when you exceed about 10 people it ain't going to work.

Note, the above example does not apply to queueing for concert tickets, atms, shopping etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 gibbie

I've decided that queues are for suckers. I was lining up for the Enterprise one afternoon and the queue went all around Connelly station. The train was delayed so I was standing there for 1.5 hours. Then when they let us board, they opened up all the doors and people started running for them, jumping out of the queue. It was a total free-for-all. Of course, I picked up my bags and ran too, I wasn't going to miss out on getting a seat. However, if I had known that it was going to be a free-for-all, I would have gone to the bar until the train arrived instead of queuing up.

I can't stand the queues for the busses on O'Connell street because if it's raining and you decide to loiter at Centra, it automatically means that you're at the back of the line.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Sarky wrote:
    See black guys, they drive a car like this...

But white guys, they drive a car like this...

See black guys, they Queue for a bus like this...

But white guys, they Queue for a bus like this...

i have too much time on my hands

Advertisement