Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looks like Cisse's broken his leg (scores inside)

• 30-10-2004 6:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭

Had his ankle taken and fell very awkwardly - the bone was sticking through his sock according to the Liverpoolfc.tv commentary. Leaves us right in the **** with strikers now - just Baros and Pongolle until January.

What the **** is it with Ewood Park and broken Liverpool legs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ouch poor bastard !!! Looks like Raifa will be shopping in Jan!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Listening to the Blackburn - Liverpool game its something of a disaster for Pool, we are now 2-1 down but more important it looks like Cisse has broken a leg. He's been rushed off to hospital. Pool are at sixes and sevens. :(

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

as soon as you saw it you knew it was broken, screaming in pain aswell. looks like the pool players have lost the bottle.

i dunno where josemi is, but he aint at edwood park. probaly sunning himself on some spainish beach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Bad luck on the injury front for Liverpool and it will be a few months before they can bring anyone in . Baros will have to be given a chance now but he has never produced his euro 2004 in the liverpool shirt to date.

• Advertisement

Just Baros and Pongolle until January.

Not even that, Pongolle is also injured (in the Millwall game), so Mellor may have to fill in. I'd bet Rafa would sooner play Baros up front off Luis Garcia.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

In fairness, I think that's the way he likes to play football but for whatever reason, hasn't done so at Anfield thus far. Shame we've been forced into it though. Just saw the replay there and is truly horrific, I dare say his season's over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

good news for baros u suppose. i never really rated him anyway so i dont think it is as big a blow as it sounds.

Yes! 2-2 Baros with a love breakaway goal. Kewell on for Finnan - we're going for it.

Gah! So many chances to win dispite the upset earlier. Oh well we did'nt loose.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Well at least Liverpool arent boring anymore :) Couyld have so easily won it at the end as well as lost it. 2-2 was a fair result. Hyppia had a very poor game and so did Didi. Garcia looked lively despite his long travel he last 2 days with his wife giving birth. Have to admit when Blackburn had the header off the line by Garcia I nearly gave birth!

Shame about Cisse, he will be out for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Just watched the whole match there..

The game started at a crazy pace with Liverpool gaining the lead in the first ten minutes that they pretty much dominated. The Blackburn seemed to step it up a level for the rest of the game and matched, if not out played Liverpool for large periods.

Statistically, Liverpool had more oppurtunities on goal, both attempts and on target, but Blackburn probably had the better chances.

Overall it was a very exciting game but you gotta wonder what is the story with Blackburn and broken legs? It was a pretty harmless foul (that was not given incidently) but you could see as Cisse fell, the bottom portion of his leg was not falling in the same direction.. The expression on his face said it all, extremely painful looking.

Think you have to point the finger at Josemi for both of the goals - he just went missing. Think it's time to drop him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

some ott tackles went unpunished but hey, bit of a regular occurance in this fixture.

poor result really. the 2 goals we gave away where very poor. Josemi was woeful, he should of been brought of instead on finnan. kewell was poor when he came on aswell. he seems really unfir or disinterested whenever hes playing. Hyppia was showing his age aswell, dont think hes quick enough anymore

draw was a fair enough result over the 90 minutes, but really should be beating those teams if we want a top 4 place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

Haven't seen the highlights yet but it looks pretty nasty in THIS picture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

*not for the faint hearted* :eek:
    here is other picture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

poor bollox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Dear that looks very very nasty. Liverpool have been very unlucky with serious injuries I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery unlikely as that may seem looking at those images..

apperantly his broken his broken in more than one place. really doesnt look good for him or his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Comminuted fracture: A fracture in which bone is broken, splintered or crushed into a number of pieces.

Sounds very nasty. Going for surgery to put a pin in.

Looks like we will be buying a striker in janurary. With the smallest squad in the Priemership and now only 3 reconginsed strikers (Baros, Pongolle , Mellor) Pongolle is injuried at present also put its only a few weeks.

Whatever about strikers and one was needed anyways, we need a couple of defenders!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Think you have to point the finger at Josemi for both of the goals - he just went missing. Think it's time to drop him.
    I'd be more inclined to blame Hyppia for both. Especially the second.

Poor aul Cisse. I almost had tears in my eyes when I saw the pictures on MotD. Nasty business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Really gruesome stuff, my heart goes out to the guy. Hope he can make a fast recovery, he may never be the same player after this injury though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

As an evertonian i thought we had the smallest squad.. but there you go... i can use this against all my liverpool mates now... thanks for the info..

but seriously all rivalry aside, the poor man cisse.. that was one nasty break. I was watching it on MOTD and i was nearly sick... :eek: hopefully its not the end of his career...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Feel so sorry for him. Missing nearly a whole season out of maybe 13-15 you'll play in your career is bad. The possibility of him never being able to play to the same standard again is just heartbreaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Urghg, hate seeing those events, I shudder to think what kind of pain he was in. It was nearly as bad as Beano McDonald's one for Laois during the summer.

Presumably Liverpool would have their investment in him insured for occasions such as this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Before everyone get's too down about Cisses nasty accident I seem to remember Henrik Larsson getting the same type of injury in a match several years ago and he came back just as good (if not better?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

MotD were reporting last night that he has a double break — both tibia and fibula.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

From the official LFC site:

Djibril Cisse is unlikely to play again this season after suffering a broken leg during Saturday's 2-2 draw at Blackburn.
    The French striker was taken to hospital in Blackburn where X-Rays revealed the extent of the injury.

Liverpool FC Head of Press Ian Cotton said: "Our club doctor Mark Waller has confirmed that Djibril Cisse suffered a comminuted fracture of the tibia and fracture of the fibula in his left leg.

"Djibril will undergo surgery on Sunday morning to insert a pin in the tibia. Unfortunately he is unlikely to play again this season and everybody at the club wishes him the speediest of recoveries."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Pigman II wrote:
    Before everyone get's too down about Cisses nasty accident I seem to remember Henrik Larsson getting the same type of injury in a match several years ago and he came back just as good (if not better?).

I remeber seeing a video clip of that Larrson injury about a year ago and as soon as I saw what happened to Cisse (on MOTD) , I thought to Larrsons injury .

When I think about it Larrson wasn't that special until after the injury and he only improved as a player .

Hopefully it will be the same for Cisse .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Big Ears wrote:
    I remeber seeing a video clip of that Larrson injury about a year ago and as soon as I saw what happened to Cisse (on MOTD) , I thought to Larrsons injury .

:eek: Yeah, I think I have Henrik's on video here somewhere & Cisse's was just as nasty, poor fella. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Yeah it was horrible to see the leg breaking , He was in serious pain ... Hope he has a speedy recovery ... Think the whole team were affected after it happened... Did you see when Luis Garcia came on , he asked Baros what happened and baros must have said he thought the leg was broken , Luis face dropped , he really looked shocked ...

They got a point from the game but missed out on a good chance to pick up more points on arsenal ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Being Halloween and whatever I might be imagining things, but didn't another Liverpool player suffer very a serious injury in the very same area of the Ewood Park pitch in the exact same fixture last season?

Pigman II wrote:
    Being Halloween and whatever I might be imagining things, but didn't another Liverpool player suffer very a serious injury in the very same area of the Ewood Park pitch in the exact same fixture last season?

dunno if it was the same area. But carragher broke his leg and baros broke his ankle in the fixture last season. I really aint looking forward to next years fixture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I think it was close enough to that corner of the pitch alright - maybe a bit nearer the touchline? Just bad luck - unless it's happening to other teams I'm happy to put it down as freak occurences.

Cisse could indeed come back a better player like Larrson but I wouldn't put it down to the type of injury if he does. I'd imagine it's more a mental thing, becoming more determined from sitting on the sidelines - also lots of time to reflect on his own game and where improvements can be made, same happened with Stevie Gerrard.

For now I just wish him a speedy recovery - obviously alternative players will need to be found and hopefully that goes well too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

While its never good to see something like this happen to anyone,

This potentially could be a blessing in disguise for Liverpool. Its going to mean that a new striker is a definate in January. And Liverpool need one. I dont like the look of Cisse and Baros together one bit.

Also it will make Cisse have a look at his performances a bit. Lets face it 3 goals in 15 games isnt good enough for a striker, yet alone one that cost £14M. He came with a big billing, and was even one of his own advocates, but he hasnt been cutting the mustard and has been pushed out to the wing "Diouf-esque". Its just not good enough.

It will also mean that Baros will be guaranteed to be one of the first names on the team sheet for every game between now and January. I think every Liverpool fan wants that. But this is a test for Baros. He has the opportunity to make that position his own. And if he wants to be a star here is his chance. Because again lets face it, he has blown hot and cold for Liverpool. However I think this will be the making of him and he will go on to score 25+ this year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Pigman II wrote:

yeah baros got hid ankle broken in the fixture on the left hand side of the pitch though i think. and later in the match carragher had his leg broken.

Advertisement