Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compustore guarantee

Options
  • 30-10-2004 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

I just bought a nice new laptop from Compustore and went off to the UK on business, I quickly realised that the battery was knackered, I'm getting about 30 minutes on battery life, needless to say that it was quite embarrasing going in to meetings and heading straight for the nearest socket.. Came home and went to complain and wouldn't you know it, they've gone bust! Anyone know what the story is with my guarantee? Can I go to whoever Compustores supplier is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

go to the manufacturer they should sort you out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

if you bought it on credit card, the credit card company is responsibe for faulty goods if the company you bought from goes into liquidation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

djk1000 wrote:
    I just bought a nice new laptop from Compustore and went off to the UK on business, I quickly realised that the battery was knackered, I'm getting about 30 minutes on battery life,
    Um, ever heard of setting the memory on a battery?

Most laptops, when u buy them, have batteries that only last 30-60 mins *UNTIL* you set the battery.
    You do this by completely charging then completely DIScharging the battery over about 4 days, eventually, with a new laptop, the average you will get is 2 to 2.5 hours max.

Maybe check it before you go back to them.
    Its a pain and they never seem to TELL people before they buy lappies.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Um, ever heard of setting the memory on a battery?

Most laptops, when u buy them, have batteries that only last 30-60 mins *UNTIL* you set the battery.
    You do this by completely charging then completely DIScharging the battery over about 4 days, eventually, with a new laptop, the average you will get is 2 to 2.5 hours max.
    Perhaps this was the case 5 years ago but it is not now. Batteries sold with laptops now tend to be Lithium-Ion, these are completly "memoryless" and do not need to be "set." They also work best when trickle charged unlike older batteries, ie. you don't need to fully discharge them. If he is getting such a short battery life with a new laptop then his battery is most likely fcuked.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Compustore/soundstore... did they all close, or was it a franchise where all were independent, cos the one in Cork on Oliver Plunkett St looked like it was open when I passed today.

(This is very relevant to your question)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

AFAIK Compustore and Soundstore are two different companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

leahcim wrote:
    AFAIK Compustore and Soundstore are two different companies.

ok, but my mention of soundstore was just a sidebar, lets not mention the word "soundstore" again lest keyword posters latch onto it and hijack the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Not all the compustores shut down. A few were franchises and might still be trading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

I phoned the manufacturers tech support, spent about 2 hours on hold, got transfered to french tech support a few times (lots of fun trying to figure out what the automated menu was saying!) eventually got through, I was told to bring it back to point of purchase for the fastest replacement/repair I said they had gone bust and the guy on the phone said he'd do a collect and return on the battery. He also said I'm not the first Compustore customer calling him in the last few weeks. Don't want to imply anything but if I was a compu(ter)store owner and I had run out of credit with suppliers, I'd be selling ex-display stock with knackered batteries too! Having said all that, the laptop itself is great, the price was good and the staff were helpful. Where can I go now to pick up a mouse/cable/wireless router or whatever iin 20minutes? the internet is great but I hate waiting for stuff to arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Beyond 2000* on Chantam street (off Grafton street) you can get mouse, cables, wireless routers etc

*I am not an employee of beyond 2000 just recomending them as a satisfied customer

• Advertisement
Advertisement