Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Section23/27 property for first time buyer..

Options
  • 30-10-2004 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here bought a section 23/27 property as a first time buyer?

Is there any real advantage for a FTB in purchasing such a property?
    Whats the difference between section 23 & section 27.
    I understand that there are restrictions - one of them being that you have to hold on to the property for at least ten years. Are there any other hoops to jump in order to qualify?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You are talking about living in the house? There is no benefit in Section 23/27 for an owner-occupier as far as I know, but I could be wrong.

Section 27 is the section of the 1989 (?) Finance Act which instituted the current tax incentive. It was modelled after Section 23 of an earlier Finance Act. Both the same thing bascially.

You don't have to hold the house for ten years.

Really, the estate agent should be able to fill you in on this stuff.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

S.23/27 is only of use to you if you're an investor, you can save tax on the rental income. If you're a FTB, bear in mind that this relief may be factored into the price, so you may be paying a premium for a tax relief that is of no benefit to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Aren't there some schemes for owner occupiers to write of 100% against all income?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

Victor wrote:
    Aren't there some schemes for owner occupiers to write of 100% against all income?
    I'm not sure what percentage but it is against against all incomes for owner occupiers. So there definitely is a tax advantage for ftb or any owner occupier. You do have to keep it for 10 years or you will have to repay the taxes saved. But you are then selling the right to claim these allowances to the neww owner.

I'm not sure which S's apply to owner occupiers tho. The estate agent will let you know. You will also get FTB interest relief too

On the downside.
    You are paying an inflated price for the property.
    You are buying off the plans and will be waiting for a while (usually)
    If the development is sold mainly to investors then the population will be transient and may not exert power on the management

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Thanks for the info folks...and yes, it does seem that prices are inflated in these areas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement