Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amplifiers

Options
  • 30-10-2004 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

I have an old Dolby Digital 5.1 SS system that im looking to upgrade (well, replace..) I know almost nothing about amplifiers, but have seen a few for decent money. Take this for example: http://www.yamaha-audio.co.uk/homecinema/amplifiers/dsp-ax750se/

Whats the difference between an amplifier and say, the Dolby decoder i have on my current system? Are they worth the 500-ish asking price alone, seeing as how speakers must be purchased seperatly?

Thanks

Gary

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

A home cinema amplifier and receiver are basically the same except that a receiver also has a built in AM/FM radio tuner. Does your current system use your hifi-amp as the front two channels? That's what i understand as a decoder.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Basically the 5 channels and the sub connect to the decoder, and the decoder then connect to a DVD player or such via a PS2 -type cable (not sure the exact name) The system is a Cambridge DTT2500, really more for PC than home theathre, so looking to get something better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Home cinema is all about how much you are willing to spend, the size of your room, how you use the kit and believe it or not, how snobbish you are to certain brands. You do not have to pay £500 sterling to get a very good home cinema amp/receiver or system.

I have the Panasonic SCHT900 all in one system which a beautiful piece of kit. It has a 5 disc tray and it plays MP3s/CDs very well as well has a DD5.1 and DTS. I got this multiregion for £310 sterling (reconditioned from Panasonic).

Have a look at this thread and let us know your real budget.

Advertisement