Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

!!!!!!buying a new car!!!!!!!

Options
  • 30-10-2004 8:39pm
    Site Banned Posts: 105 ✭✭

I'm buying a new car in the New year. My mind is set on an all black Mini Cooper with the chilly pack (Sweeeeeeeeeeeet baby) *Drool*

Now here is the thing i want other guys thoughts on the mini cooper. Let me know what you think of it compaired to other cars i could spend 27K on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

;) Are you male or female because its not a very macho car ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Buy a `96`97/98 celica/prelude or something, before them ould classics die out completely.
    You`ll tire of the mini after a yr. The novelty will wear off, i reckon.

Or you could even get a snazzy 306 1.9Turbo diesel Gt6. 130Hp???????

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Two words: Marc Bolan

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

grand car but in reply to the last post Marc Bolan????????????? hows he got anything to do with a mini :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

He was killed in a Mini crash

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 105 ✭✭dark_knight_ire

A lot of people have different views on the mini. I think for the size and weight its a flyer of a car. The one i was looking to buy is black and cromed with the spot lamps on the front. I mean i could go for a golf Tdi for nearly the same price as what i'd be looking to pay but why be the same. Outside Dublin you don't see many coopers. Oh and for what you would pay for a golf Tdi you would get a one series BMW (but lets face it the car is ugly, way to long and big arse on it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

If your young, no kids, not intending to drive the family around then go for it! I personally love them, they are small, stylish and nice and nippy.

Dark Knight - you would not get a new TDI golf for 27k euro, they start at 30ish - the BMW TDI version starts at 38k euro...but your dead right, its just ugly!!

DirtyDog wrote:
    If your young, no kids, not intending to drive the family around then go for it! I personally love them, they are small, stylish and nice and nippy.

Dark Knight - you would not get a new TDI golf for 27k euro, they start at 30ish - the BMW TDI version starts at 38k euro...but your dead right, its just ugly!!

Well i bet if you went to pay in cash you would get a few grand off the 30K golf price :) To anyone who owns anygolf they are a great car i mean you can't go better really when you look for a car with good resale. My only beef is that everyone has them lol.

A car a saw today and hey its damn nice is the new astra. Looks sweet don't know what its like to drive but i'm sure it good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

A car a saw today and hey its damn nice is the new astra. Looks sweet don't know what its like to drive but i'm sure it good

I have one as a replacement car while my own gets work done on it - its as nasty a heap as I've ever driven. There might as well be someone else driving it, because theres absolutely no feedback, the driving position has my back sore every time I get out, and most of the controls are actually facing downwards to the point where its uncomfortable to turn the temp up, or turn on the demister.... and its ugly imho

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

A mate of mine in NAAS has a red/white stripe '04 Cooper S ! An absolute f**king rocket !!! It's fully loaded and cost nearly 35K but what a car ! I have a Prelude Si and an Alfa 156 both 2 litre and I'm seriously thinking of selling both to get a CooperS !!

When he got it we took it for a "spin", At 100MPH this twit in a 2.5 Ford Cougar did everything he could to try to stop us from overtaking him bar push us off the road but we passed him with ease and the Mini was solid on the road !! OK I know this was a stoopid thing to do but this car makes you want to!

My only gripe is the Flash Gordon Styling in the cabin and around the steering wheel, especially the flimsy feeling indicator and wiper stalks.

ZEN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Well i bet if you went to pay in cash you would get a few grand off the 30K golf price :) To anyone who owns anygolf they are a great car i mean you can't go better really when you look for a car with good resale. My only beef is that everyone has them lol.

I've got a 130bhp golf and its chipped so a real flyer, The astra does look nice, but its still an Astra.....it just doesnt do it for me.

What ever you decide, make sure to post what you get! :cool:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

To anyone who owns anygolf they are a great car i mean you can't go better really when you look for a car with good resale. My only beef is that everyone has them lol.
    Would completlt disagree with ya there. Mk 1,2,4 are class the mk3 is alright but the new mk5 nah!!!!!!!!

Buddy got a new mk5 tdi and its given him trouble from day one,pulse electronics(killer),he says the windows go down for no reason?
    His last mk4 golf was sweet,lowered all crap in it and it was whippit fast.

On the mini,got the cash and no attachments-buy an old BMW 318is
    Build square to go round iv heard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Outside Dublin you don't see many coopers.

probably becuase the roads are crap and the mini is low on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

You would get a 01-02 jap import T-Sport celica (190 BHP) for that money

ZENER wrote:
    A mate of mine in NAAS has a red/white stripe '04 Cooper S ! An absolute f**king rocket !!! It's fully loaded and cost nearly 35K but what a car ! I have a Prelude Si and an Alfa 156 both 2 litre and I'm seriously thinking of selling both to get a CooperS !!

When he got it we took it for a "spin", At 100MPH this twit in a 2.5 Ford Cougar did everything he could to try to stop us from overtaking him bar push us off the road but we passed him with ease and the Mini was solid on the road !! OK I know this was a stoopid thing to do but this car makes you want to!

My only gripe is the Flash Gordon Styling in the cabin and around the steering wheel, especially the flimsy feeling indicator and wiper stalks.

ZEN

The inside you can design yourself :cool: I'm looking at bring a the mini in from england i'll be sorting things out tomorrow and doing the math on it. From what i heard from a friend who brings all his cars in there is a lot of money can be saved.

If it works out at a good saving i'll be getting the copper S with sports suspension after all We all feel the need to drive down steps at some point in our lives ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Just a word of warning. There is practically no boot in the new mini, so don't plan on buying anything and putting it in the boot, ever!

lol fook boot space man. Once its big enough to hold a body its ok for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Go for it mate, get the Cooper S. You'll just love it :D

unkel wrote:
    Go for it mate, get the Cooper S. You'll just love it :D

Comment noted lol, My only concern is say if i went the extra mile (in rocket fast time) and bought the Cooper S would i still be ok resale i mean its a lot of money i dont care spending it once i know i'll get most of it back lol

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Was driving at a track day in Mondello recently and a Cooper S was knocking spots off so many other cars there. Very quick and stable in the right hands!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

He said it wouldn't hold a bag of tayto's, never mind a body. Should check on there being space too for a 9 iron and a spade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Just check it out when you go to look at the thing. Personally I wouldn't be happy lumping out a load of cash for a car with now boot space (except for those that shouldnt have boots anyway like coupes and cabriolets).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

bp_me wrote:
    Just check it out when you go to look at the thing. Personally I wouldn't be happy lumping out a load of cash for a car with now boot space (except for those that shouldnt have boots anyway like coupes and cabriolets).

Yeah, coupes/ cabriolets/ and "mini`s"!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

rander00 wrote:
    Yeah, coupes/ cabriolets/ and "mini`s"!
    <pedant>it is actually MINI not mini</pedant>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

SEAT Leon TDI 150, the only car your ever need, 75 MPH in second gear, and not even close to the redline. Bye Bye mini cooper S, BMW 325i, Golf GTI etc etc.

would i still be ok resale i mean its a lot of money i dont care spending it once i know i'll get most of it back lol

Depreciation should be low. It's a very well built car with lots of people aspiring to buy it. Make sure you maintain it well though!
    SEAT Leon TDI 150, the only car your ever need, 75 MPH in second gear, and not even close to the redline. Bye Bye mini cooper S, BMW 325i, Golf GTI etc etc.

Very good car with the benefits of modern diesel technology like lots of torque at low revs, but to leave a 325i behind?

325i 0-60 7s, top 150mph
    Leon TDI 150 0-60 9s, top 130mph

Over 70mph, the BMW would leave the Leon behind very far very quickly ;)

The Leon might come close or even beat the 325i on the 30-70mph through the gears**. I'd like to see those figures. Anyone?

** this is a more important measure for many drivers than the other 3 measures mentioned and should not be underestimated

I agree the 0 - 60 speeds and top speed the BMW would win, but 0 - 100 its very much even. You'd be surpirsed just how fast it gets back, 3rd gear is amazing. the leon gives up at 138 it pulls all the way to about 125, then slumps a little bit. Chipped and a 330i would get a scare.

for 28,500 you cant really go wrong.

but 0 - 100 its very much even
    :eek: That's where I thought the difference would be biggest (in favour of 325i)

I was recently made aware that a '99 528i is a full 8 seconds faster to 100 than a '99 530d. I was shocked but the figures seemed reliable. This has put me right off diesel atm, but obviously when I'm back in the market for a new car I will do my homework properly

Have you any 0 - 100 (mph) figures? Link would be great :)

TDI does about 0 - 100 in 10-11 secs, who cares really, I just enjoy the motor without trying to race and possibly endanger other road users trying to prove a point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Get a Celica GT4, thats a fast cool looking car! :D

Advertisement