Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Solution At Last!

Options
  • 30-10-2004 9:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

And so simple!
    Setting Fire To The Cell-Phone Market

Softbank's Son sues to open the cellular spectrum to outsiders -- such as himself

Three years ago, Masayoshi Son walked into Japan's communications ministry and threatened to set himself on fire. A stunt of course, but he was deadly serious about one thing: He felt regulators were dragging their feet in forcing Japan's Nippon Telegraph & Telephone Corp. (NTT ), the former monopoly operator, to fulfill its legal obligation to connect residential customers to the broadband lines of Yahoo! BB, a mainstay of Son's Softbank Corp.

The theatrical gesture worked. The ministry bore down on NTT, and it soon started linking its lines to Softbank's, setting the cozy world of Japanese telecom ablaze. Today, some 4.5 million Japanese pay about $35 monthly for Yahoo! BB, and NTT itself has introduced a rival high-speed plan that 6 million have signed up for.

[...]
    I'll lash some matches in the post to Bill Murphy and Scott Taunton.

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Simple yes, but chances are that the comreg folk would probably just whip out some marshmallows rather than actually do anything useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Three years ago, Masayoshi Son walked into Japan's communications ministry and threatened to set himself on fire.
    LOL, I don't think people here would bother with that sort of thing. We know how to keep things in perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

SkepticOne wrote:
    I don't think people here would bother with that sort of thing. We know how to keep things in perspective.

The Irish Tradition is that we would walk in and give them five minutes to get out :)

M

Advertisement