Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Before Trick or treating came to Ireland

• 30-10-2004 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭

I hate the expression "Trick or treating" cos it is so Americanised...and well I remember years ago Ireland had it's own expressions for this act! Can anyone else remember them?

I just remember the expression "Going out with the Pookah"!

Any thoughts on this people?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I once went trick-or-treating to my local old folks' home dressed as the Grim Reaper. Thirteen years on and I still haven't stopped laughing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin_apache

As kids we used to say "Help the halloween party" when knocking at doors ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

As kids we used to say "Help the halloween party" when knocking at doors ,

And did people sing a song or say a poem?

lol - grim reaper! That was evil Sarky ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

In Scotland we went "Guising". We could do anything from sing a song to tell a joke (I always told a really **** joke and always f*cked up the punchline).

Earlier on in the 80's there would be really cool stuff like toffee apples, dooking for apples and other RAD stuff in everyones houses. Dat sh*t was da bomb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My ma still makes all the kids that come to a door sing a song or do some other such ****e before giving them anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The true horror of Halloween is being forced to listen to some ham-fisted child produce a banshee wail from his/her tin whistle. The mere mention of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star at this time of year can send me into near-fatal flashbacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

I never heard of a pookah
    In Galway they were mummers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

we used to say "Penny for Halloween" we obviously got more though lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

'any fruit or nuts' is used as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Sarky wrote:
    The true horror of Halloween is being forced to listen to some ham-fisted child produce a banshee wail from his/her tin whistle. The mere mention of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star at this time of year can send me into near-fatal flashbacks.

OH YOU ****ING BASTARD!
    You just sent my head crashing into my desk in one huge spaz-attack at the mere thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

We used always sing a song or say a poem.... life as a kid was such a task. Now I have money and can buy stuff.... the whole affair is a lot easier. And I did look like a bit of a twat standing in Tesco singing.

John

Advertisement