Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to start.

Options
  • 31-10-2004 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I'm about to get back into cycling .

I'm not sure whether to do short spins on the heavy mountain bike ,or long spins on the superlight hybrid.

I had to stop using the hybrid 6 months ago because i was getting very light headed after 30 miles or so ,my problem being i don't get tired on the thing.

What would be best ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Your light-headedness might be down to running out of fuel. Do you eat or drink on those spins? I guess they might be 2 hrs or so. Anything longer than 1:30 and you need to bring along a source of fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Titan_soul

I went up the royal canal in 4 inches of mud tis morn,
    Heart rate got up to 191 Bpm
    So i'd say the light headedness is my heart

average heart rate was 169

When i'm on the hybrid it's very hard to get my heart rate anywhere near that.

I nearly broke my teeth aswell ,went down a set of steps that turned out to be about 60° and about 25ft long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

30 miles - mtb - should definitely be taking fuel on board,

although as you say those heart rates are high, if you're just getting back into it your average should be circa 20 bpm lower over that period for the next while at least. That could defo be a cause

Titan_soul wrote:
    average heart rate was 169

If you're wearing a HRM why not use it properly. 169 is too high for a 2 hr ride. When I restart after a break my average HR is about 150, dropping to 140 after a few rides. You should try to keep your HR less than about 75% of your max. Most of your riding should be under 70%. Your HR range is your max HR less your resting pulse.

e.g. 190-60=130

70% of 130 is 91

91+60 = 151 (70% of max)

But remember, you have to work out your own MaxHR and resting HR.

P.S. 169-55 (say) = 114

191-55=136

114 is 84% of 136 (way too high for everyday commuting or training)

I have a polar 710 that does all that for me.

I'm 5'8'' and curretly 16 and a half stone

I stopped smoking on new years day and put on weight ,lots of it.
    I have an awful habit of not stopping once i start something.When i get the cycle kick ,it really sends me flying .
    I find it very very hard to stay below 60-70% MHR
    I just keep going and going ,it's like the adrenaline doesn't have a shut off valve.
    So what can i do.

• Advertisement

Titan_soul wrote:
    So what can i do.

Be careful! With all that extra weight, you're putting extra strain on your heart. Try to take it a little bit easier.

talking about it has made my mind up,
    I'm on the hybrid until i lose a stone or two.

Cheers slow coach for the feedback.

Advertisement