Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please suggest an alternative ISP for me

• 31-10-2004 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

I've had it with eircom, they just suck. 54.99 a month for 512k/128k/8GB is bloody outrageous. I can do nothing, my download cap just shoots up then I have to limit my usage. Does eircom have a contract? I've been with them about 6 months, when can I cancel?
    I live in lucan, just past the spa hotel.

TIA :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Eircom have a 12 month contract, as for isp's the other options for dsl are UTV, UTV require you to sign up to their telephony service but their service is nicely priced at 30 euro p/m with an 8 gig cap and 45 euro per month with a 16 gig cap. A regards installation i can't comment as i've no experience of it.
    This is a good option if you have no interest in gaming / anything which benefits from low ping times.

The alternative is iol broadband (which i am on) which has slightly higher pings then eircom though not nearly high as utv. THeir pricing can be found here[/urll]. The offering is similar to utv pricewise/packagewise when you use the esat telephone service so they would be my recommendation. Their only downfall is their incompetent billing system and it takes ages to actually get broadband installed.

Also tis worth seeing if ntl cable is available where you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

The alternative is iol broadband (which i am on) which has slightly higher pings then eircom though not nearly high as utv.

UTV ping as well as IOL (high 30s) to non-Irish servers. Their ping problems were fixed months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Well, I am not able to get NTL. I was looking here http://www.irishbroadband.ie/
    They are charging 48.40 for 1mb down 1mb up, which personally, I see as incredible. I could do a lot with that 100k up. Although I've checked their coverage maps, and im just outside their coverage area... I will ring them up tomorrow and see. But I am very intrested in game, but also in downloading, with eircom I get exceptional ping rates, what would wireless be like?
    Also, they have this "Ripwave™" product, which I think is DSL, and it has no download limit. Which would be brilliant.
    But what kind of ping times have they? anyone have any experience with them?

I doublt my 12 month contract would be up with eircom... that sucks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

mang87 wrote:
    Also, they have this "Ripwave™" product, which I think is DSL, and it has no download limit. Which would be brilliant.
    But what kind of ping times have they? anyone have any experience with them?
    Ripwave is Wireless - "It utilises wireless technology in order to provide a faster, "always-on, unlimited usage " Internet service. It does not use your phone line and therefore allows you and your family to make and receive phone calls even while you are surfing the Internet. Unlike DSL, it does not involve the hassle of connecting splitters or filters to your existing phone line".

Ping not suitable for fast-reaction gaming, at two to 3 times higher than DSL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭daymobrew

mang87 wrote:
    I've had it with eircom, they just suck. 54.99 a month for 512k/128k/8GB is bloody outrageous. I can do nothing, my download cap just shoots up then I have to limit my usage. Does eircom have a contract? I've been with them about 6 months, when can I cancel?
    I live in lucan, just past the spa hotel.

TIA :)

You don't list the issues you have with eircom so it's had to say what you can do.
    I suggest reading the contract carefully. I know my ntl broadband contract has a clause which could be used as a get-out one, AFAIK something about service failure which would allow either side to terminate it. I know eircom are very careful with their contracts to give customers zero recourse but it's worth looking.
    Think about contacting ComReg to ask their advice.

• Advertisement

daymobrew wrote:
    You don't list the issues you have with eircom so it's had to say what you can do.
    I suggest reading the contract carefully. I know my ntl broadband contract has a clause which could be used as a get-out one, AFAIK something about service failure which would allow either side to terminate it. I know eircom are very careful with their contracts to give customers zero recourse but it's worth looking.
    Think about contacting ComReg to ask their advice.

My problems with eircom:
    They suck
    They overcharge
    Not enough download allowence
    I don't like them

And yes, I've exceeded my download cap for the past 5 months, wonder when they're going to start charging me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

If they are not currently charging for exceeding caps then there isn't really a cap, until they start charging and catch you by surprise of course.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

mang87 wrote:
    My problems with eircom:
    They suck
    They overcharge
    Not enough download allowence
    I don't like them

And yes, I've exceeded my download cap for the past 5 months, wonder when they're going to start charging me..

But didn't you know all that when you signed up?

dub45 wrote:
    But didn't you know all that when you signed up?

Nope, and my father signed up, not me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

its not eircom thats bad, its broadband in Ireland thats bad. In UK u can get like blueyonder and all + in france they have with "Free", 5mbit line with phone and tv free(40 channels or so) for like 30euros a month!!!!! and no dload cap

make that 6mbit----> http://adsl.free.fr/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Eircom Muppa's messed up all the lines and exchanges.
    They are the reason were so far behind.

Also Esat are currently upgrading their major pipes to major cities in ireland and the UK. Most internal ones are upgrading to 2.5 - 3 Gig Pipes.
    There are 2 major 5 Gigs Pipes entering Ireland from the UK at Dublin and Wexford.

All is moving along :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

mang87 wrote:
    Nope, and my father signed up, not me.

Well presumably he knew then? Its not as if Eircom keep either their charges or their cap a secret!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

mabey for his dad it doesn't matter if he has 4gigs, 8gigs 16 or no cap.
    Yes well i dunno i sure hope in a year we get much faster speeds, i wanna dload at 500kb, 1mb or 2, and not for insane prices, which is faster then 55kb :(
    O and also I'm getting 160+ pings right now, cool

Advertisement