Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restarting problem

• 31-10-2004 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Im having trouble again :/

Well i keep getting problems somtime when i restart my pc
    my computer freezes on the first screen (the screen with Del goes too setup bios and shows ur drive) dunno why

could it be windows or pc ??? :(

It only happens a few times and when it does u cant click restart button u have to turn the pc off and restart it with main power switch.

My Pc is
    Celeron 2.4ghz :(
    Windows xp pro
    80gig hard
    Geforce4 Ti 4600

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

At that stage of the boot process (if I'm interpreting your post properly), it definitely wouldn't be windows.
    Sounds more like it's struggling to detect your harddrive, which may or may not be failing and about to die. :)
    Listen for any unusual clicking/stalling noises from your harddrive.
    Or it could be something more innocent like a long memory check.
    Did you change anything in the BIOS recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

its the very first screen that comes up ? and lately i have been hearing noices from my slave drive alright clicking but i doubt that could be it ? or could it ? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I've had harddrives fail on me a few times.
    Certain clicking sounds from the drive are normal, but when you've owned a harddrive for a long time, you get to know what's normal clicking, and what sounds unhealthy.
    Generally I find borked harddrives sound like "Spinup-click-clunk-clunk-stop..." << repeat.
    You should try removing the slave drive temporarily to see if this behaviour stops.
    If everything is fine and groovey when the slave drive is removed, I'd seriously consider backing up all your data off that drive.

Advertisement