Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL digital TV has arrived! (but wheres me cable internet?)

• 29-08-2001 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Well it looks like it's something to celebrate anyway smile.gif

NTL goes digital
    http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/press/pr123.htm

Details about services
    http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/flash/index_dtv.html

LLooooooooooonnnnnnnnngggg overdue but actually doesn't seem to bad according to the site. 35 more channels for an extra tenner a month including some good stuff like comedy channel, history channel, loadsa discovery channels e.g. wings, sci-trek and travel&adventure, extreme tv, sci-fi channel (yaa) etc. etc.

Movies on demand for £3 a pop (saves running down the video shop wink.gif )

Plus premium channels like (cough) Playboy for an extra £8 a month.

Some mention of a 'cable interactive tv internet' service but nowt about proper cable-internet that I could find.

It's a start though smile.gif (esp with those long winter months approaching) smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

there is no more cable internet, you have to buy the modem and request to be connected.

NTL sux, Sky digi rulez and any1 can tell you that.
    wink.gif

Ashley Lyn

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:
    there is no more cable internet, you have to buy the modem and request to be connected.
    </font>

Eh? "no more cable internet".
    I was under the impression it has been available to NTL subscribers in Tallaght for some time (no jokes please wink.gif ) Surely they are going to extend the service now the hardware is in place?

"you have to buy the modem and request to be connected"
    I'm a bit confused here. Are you contradicting yourself? i.e. there is a cable internet service you have to buy the TA (not a modem btw) and subscribe. I took the latter for granted.

Sky digi seems cool but screw it if i can get the lot in one go (tv + broadband internet) i reckon that's where my moneys going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bluehair:

Sky digi seems cool but screw it if i can get the lot in one go (tv + broadband internet) i reckon that's where my moneys going.
    </font>

You can't unfortunately. Their 'new' digital netowrk doesn't currently support cable Internet

Yea so I just found out... rang the Fcukers this morning and after waiting the obligatory 15 minutes eventually got throught to someone.

'Brian' happily explained that I was not in the launch area for Go Digital but would be 'any day now'. Asked if that would be 'any day now' 2001 he laughed and said to be honest he didn't know.

Regarding cable internet he reckoned we could kiss that goodbye until next year too since NTL were too busy working on the Go Digital service first.

Ah well... not the first time I've gotton excited about the prospect of broadband only to have it ripped from my clutches. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson by now wink.gif

Anyone know whats the status of DSL then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

er....you should really look at the Ireland Off line board if you want anything about ADSL.....should be the end of september....only in Dublin...and only on some exchangers....the link is somewhere on the boards there......hehe....Leixlip gets it so....I'm not moving out biggrin.gif

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

[This message has been edited by sutty (edited 30-08-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

and you should look at the ICDG boards if you want info on Digi, NTL, Sky...etc wink.gif

Thanks for the links folks, hadn't gone *exploring* that far in boards.ie yet wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

MMMMMMMM..cable definitley the best connection bi big downloads in a matter of minutes lovely no more lag oh when i sky digital the gaming community is no longer a chug.Premium eh???sounds good to me but they dont list the "naughty" channels on the pamhlet i have but yeah any digiatl is a sweet deal.

dont open ... that door- resident evil 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭[-Morpheus-]

NTL ain't NTL without Cable :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Jessica

hi guys,

cable modem internet is still available as far as i am aware as long as you are in the upgraded part of the ntl network !

from what i can tell bluehair - if you are not compatible for go digital on the network and are in the tallaght area then you will not be able to get a cable modem!

Sorry - although think you knew this already! just confirming for you !!

smile.gif

Jessica

jessica@brain-box.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

I've heard ntl digi sux compared to Sky digi and i suppose that proves it. NTL is nothing without cable and im pretty sure im not in one of the special areas!

The Millenium Bug, You mean Han Solo's ship is coming here in the year 2000?

Advertisement