Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubliners, Who are we?

Options
  • 31-10-2004 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hiya,

I'm researching a documentary on 'Dubliners' and how they have changed. Do you think dubliners still share a common identity or have we become a segmented city?

I'm looking for opinions but I'll also be looking for people to interview at some stage in the future.

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Hmm.. a very interesting question... not sure how to answer this properly, so here goes with a quick brain dump. Might be total dribble, but hopefully you can get something of value from it.

There have always been several "types" of Dubliners down through the years, but these "types" have fractioned / expanded in recent times due to various influences I belive.

You start with the usual inner city vs suburbs divide from ages old, the division usually being caused by money (those that have it, and those that dont). Totally different expectations, perspectives and lives on either side.

Then things progress and then you have dubliners on either sides of a civil war. Those that follow dev, and those that dont (collins ppl). I know from interviewing my grandparents years ago that that war split their family (like many others) right down the middle, and the rift never healed to the day they died. My grandfather - a collins man, my grandmother, a staunch supported of dev. They were proud dubliners, very proud irish people, but they were totally divided on the subject of the civil war. They remained intense and proud dubliners till they passed away, but always divided by loyalties from the civil war.

Then you progress a bit closer to more recent history and you have the north south divide, those who live south of the river, and those that live north. More recently it has expanded into a 'westie' culture aswell (out in nappy land where the big housing push kicked back in the 80s). Again, - very seperate cultures evolved on different sides of the river and handed down generation to generation.

Then the 80s hit, emigration turned around and by the 90s the boom had kicked in. Celtic tiger brought with it yet another divide, Dubliners at the head of the boom (e.g. tech sector, h/w and s/w industry etc.) and those who werent (public sector and smes etc.) but wanted to reap at least some rewards along the way (legacy of this now hitting with all the Industrial activity and union issues in public sector and semi state). Again - cultural differences between yuppies/dinkies and whatever other slangs were in use then, and the rest of the ppl.

Ultimately its always been about the same thing, although sometimes slightly disguised by 'north vs south' or 'inner city vs suburb'... that thing which has always divided us (like most of the world) is money. Those that have it, have more choices. More choices = more fractions in traditional Dublin roles/communities/traditions etc.

I myself was a child of the 60s, finished school in the early 80s, didn't emigrate, caught the start of the boom in the tech sector (by pure luck) and have been there ever since. I was born on the northside, have moved several times but always remained on the north side. Some things never change I guess:)

c0y0te

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Very comprehensive description c0y0te!

Me... Born on the Southside (Coombe), lived in Ballyfermot for 1 year then in 1971 our whole family moved to a flat in Ballymun. Stayed in the flats for 5 years, then got a house in Poppintree, Ballymun where I stayed until I moved to Waterford when I was 18. 3 years in Waterford (got my Diploma there), I then moved to Bolton in England. 2 years in Bolton (got my Degree there), I then moved to Glasgow and I have been in Glasgow for 11 years now. I have wanted to move back to Dublin but I would have to take a huge drop in standard of living so I have decided to stay put. All my family and my wifes family are still in Dublin.

For me, Dublin has shaped my outlook, my politics, my taste in music, my whole life. I see big similarities with Glasgow which is one of the reasons I think Glasgow is excellent. The weirdest thing I can remember is in the late 80s and living in Waterford and there were not many Dub accents around. At that time, Dubs were very insular, not sure if that is still the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

suggest merge with this one

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=197514

snaggs i know you are only new but should just pick one most appropriate forum and post once...

Advertisement