Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When can we see affordable 1meg+ outside dublin?

• 31-10-2004 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Has anybody heard of any isp's supplying 1meg

In.
    The near future (new year?)

For.
    A reasonable price.

Outside.
    Dublin.

I'm in Waterford and although I have the option of going to digiweb to avail of their wireless 1meg service, I don't think that the price tag is appropiate, much like any other irish ISP.

Does anyone have anything concrete on when prices will be dropping?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

You should have 4 Wireless carriers in Waterford by early 2005 . Lets see.

M

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Esat Business* offer 1MB for €110 (512K for €45) a month unfortunately for you it would be a 2 year contract
    fortunately for me I'm only in a one year contract ;)

As for other providers you might want to look at them as per Mucks reply.

* Both central and Tycor are enabled for Esat Business DSL in Waterford
    Esat Business is not capped or throttled in any way at all compared to other providers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

what about us general bb users who live out in the country and are restricted to 512k dsl from eircom, esat, utv etc.... is their any word on these companys offering us something more than just 512k any time soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

dlofnep wrote:
    When can we see affordable 1meg+ outside dublin?

Probably a long time after affordable 1meg+ is available inside Dublin ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Sputnik1

Nova networks in cork do a 1mbit wireless line for €50 which isn't to bad. I'll be ordering it in a week or two. I'll let you know if it's any good or not, you never know they might expand outside cork.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Casey Cable in Dungarven, Waterford do 9MB for €45 per month :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Does anybody know anything about broadband in Co. Roscommon?
    I think it would have to be wireless as I'm not in a town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Cabaal wrote:
    Man thats cool, wats it like???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Cabaal wrote:

It's a pity Casey doesn't supply his cable service inside Waterford, Barry. Also, Esat's prices are far too high. When I say cheap - What I really mean is somewhat reasonable - €50 or less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Cabaal wrote:
    Esat Business* offer 1MB for €110 (512K for €45) a month unfortunately for you it would be a 2 year contract
    fortunately for me I'm only in a one year contract ;)

As for other providers you might want to look at them as per Mucks reply.

* Both central and Tycor are enabled for Esat Business DSL in Waterford
    Esat Business is not capped or throttled in any way at all compared to other providers.

EUR110 plus VAT right? Any cheaper 1Mb plus DSL providers?

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Marlboro_Man

I'm in Waterford also and have phoned "Irish Broadband". They are currently seeting up the waterford network and wil be live at christmas!!
    1 MBit up and down and NO cap for €48.40 a month including VAT. Sod Digiweb ;) wait for these guys. They are taking orders for Waterford customers now. Best to phone them, thats what i did.
    www.irishbroadband.ie

dlofnep wrote:
    It's a pity Casey doesn't supply his cable service inside Waterford, Also, Esat's prices are far too high. When I say cheap - What I really mean is somewhat reasonable - €50 or less.

Yeah dam shame alright about Casey,
    ok €45 for 512K uncapped,static IP from Esat Business
    ;)
    bad point is, it has a 2 year contract
    [ED] whoops, you only wanted 1MB suggestions, sorry mate,
    I'm in Waterford also and have phoned "Irish Broadband". They are currently seeting up the waterford network and wil be live at christmas!!

ah but do they throttle?
    Esat don't in anyway
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

Hagar wrote:
    Does anybody know anything about broadband in Co. Roscommon?
    I think it would have to be wireless as I'm not in a town.

Try Lastmile wireless. They cover Roscommon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Marlboro_Man

Cabaal wrote:

ah but do they throttle?
    Esat don't in anyway
    :D

Not according to their sales Rep. Nor do they block known P2P ports or packet shape... Reason i chose this ISP over Digiweb broadband (Other wireless in Waterford) is that even their Business line 1MBit package with a static IP is cheaper than the standard 512kb home package with all it's limitations that Digiweb are offering. :)
    So providing i don't have to erect a massive radio mast on the top of the house, it sounds promising. I'll post about it when i get it. ;)
    And if it doesn't work i'm moving to Dungarvan *Grin*

Not according to their sales Rep. Nor do they block known P2P ports or packet shape... Reason i chose this ISP over Digiweb broadband (Other wireless in Waterford) is that even their Business line 1MBit package with a static IP is cheaper than the standard 512kb home package with all it's limitations that Digiweb are offering. :)
    So providing i don't have to erect a massive radio mast on the top of the house, it sounds promising. I'll post about it when i get it. ;)
    And if it doesn't work i'm moving to Dungarvan *Grin*

This sounds promising. I've sent them an e-mail to see what they say. Thanks for the heads up.

While we aren't currently live in Waterford, Irish Broadband are delighted to have been awarded seven prime broadband licences which will make Broadband access possible in your area - this will be in a few months' time. We are currently commissioning a highsite in your area. You would need to be 5-6kms from our transmitter in Waterford City.

This is what the rep told me via e-mail. It doesn't look like we will have it for christmas but it does look like they are rolling out in our area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I'm in Waterford also and have phoned "Irish Broadband". They are currently setting up the waterford network and wil be live at christmas!!Best to phone them, thats what i did.

There is One born every week .

If you add up all the promises made to all the people on this Board by IBB in the past 2 years you could get 5Mbits on the MOON .......yesterday :D

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Try Lastmile wireless. They cover Roscommon.

Many thanks. I contacted them this morning and it's looking promising. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Muck wrote:
    There is One born every week .

If you add up all the promises made to all the people on this Board by IBB in the past 2 years you could get 5Mbits on the MOON .......yesterday :D

M
    SO true IBB promise the sun moon and stars to their would-be customers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Matt Simis wrote:
    EUR110 plus VAT right? Any cheaper 1Mb plus DSL providers?

€89+VAT ~ 110
    Digiweb also do the same deal and you're not hooked onto a 2 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'd just like to say IBB are incompetent pathetic liars.:D

Advertisement