Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a specific Religion Forum or can I post religious topics here?

Options
  • 31-10-2004 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

Is there a specific Religion Forum or can I post religious topics here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

It probably depends on the topic. :)

There's a Christianity forum and a Buddhism forum if that's any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

DadaKopf wrote:
    It probably depends on the topic. :)

It does. What kind of stuff were you going to post about, Omni?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭omnicorp

General Theology.
    I'm as interested in that as I am in Politics.
    People just don't like my Politics ideas and I fear for myself if I wander into a Christianity forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

omnicorp wrote:
    General Theology.
    I'm as interested in that as I am in Politics.
    People just don't like my Politics ideas and I fear for myself if I wander into a Christianity forum.

Theology and philosophy aren't the same although they may deal with the same things. Your questions may be suitable for this forum or they may not. I usually decide on a case by case basis.

I'm sure there have been quite a few threads calling for a religion/theology forum but they always seem to get embroilled in controversy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭omnicorp

I put up a request thread and I got shot down. really, shot down, there were calls for bans and every thing, people are afraid of religion thanks to an immoral society.
    We have a Harry Potter forum for God's sake!
    Yet no religion forum.
    Where is the sense of heritage, religion is an important part of every one's life, or it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

omnicorp wrote:
    I put up a request thread and I got shot down. really, shot down, there were calls for bans and every thing, people are afraid of religion thanks to an immoral society.

That part in bold right there is probably why there were calls for bans. Plenty of people, myself included, believe it is very possible to live one's life in an extremely ethical and moral manner without bringing religion or God into it. Making such statements at the same time as asking for somewhere to ostensibly "discuss" religion merely makes people assume that you're actually going to use it as a place to preach that your religion alone is the only way to solve all the world's problems. Hence getting shot down, I imagine.
    omnicorp wrote:
    Where is the sense of heritage, religion is an important part of every one's life, or it should be.

Again, I disagree utterly. People should be free to make a choice about having religion as a part of their day to day life, certainly, but I see no reason why you should be able to decide what is or is not an important part of my life. And frankly, with the legacy that the Catholic church has in Ireland, I don't see the heritage argument changing anyone's mind. A history of protecting perverts and child molesters is not going to endear an institution to the public.

I'm personally moving further and further away from having any interest in seeing what you were going to post as a question, but it's up to simu - why not post it anyway and see what happens?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement