Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the first lady

Options
  • 31-10-2004 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

About the US election coming up, just wondering if you had a vote for the first Lady which one would you choose, plus i heard Laura Bush is on anti Depressants, which fingures since she always seems to look/act like a stepford wife. Plus do you think Hilary will go for the election in 2008?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Well keeping up appearances can cause stress, anorexia nervosa being one such condition which can result in such things.

as for Hillary Clinton. She would be in with a good chance of becoming president maybe not in 2008, American politics is very conservative, I doubt you will be seeing any black or woman presidents for at least another two presidential terms.

I could be proven wrong though, what's that line "the hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."

Female president might be a good thing for america who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭BattleBoar

magick wrote:
    About the US election coming up, just wondering if you had a vote for the first Lady which one would you choose, plus i heard Laura Bush is on anti Depressants, which fingures since she always seems to look/act like a stepford wife. Plus do you think Hilary will go for the election in 2008?

Hillary is the only candidate the Dems could have run that would actually have made me vote FOR Bush. I hope to god the Democrats have more sense than to nominate her in '08. Of course, I hope it isn't an issue at all since I voted for Kerry and I do think he has a good chance to win it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

BattleBoar wrote:
    Hillary is the only candidate the Dems could have run that would actually have made me vote FOR Bush. I hope to god the Democrats have more sense than to nominate her in '08. Of course, I hope it isn't an issue at all since I voted for Kerry and I do think he has a good chance to win it.

tbh I think that if the Dems put her forward next time (be it 08 or please god '12) she'd win. Women would vote for her because she's a woman, dems would vote for her cos she's a dem and undecideds would vote for her because she's a clinton.

Obviously I'm generalising here, but she's certainly the most likely female candidate bar none at the moment

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

have you already voted battleboar, here or there?

what ya think are the chances for schwarcanegger(sp?)

i can defo see him going for it in 2016 or some such, and winning, he's the perfect republican with liberal influences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭BattleBoar

I've already voted (absentee) and I voted for Kerry. I don't know about Schwartzeneggar. Personally I like the guy but I'd like to see if he does a good job as governor before I'd vote for him. But hey, the last time a former governor of California became president he turned out to be the best President we've had in a very long time.

I'd like to see a Libertarian party victory but that will never happen. So being realistic, I'd like to see Kerry win this election, do a good job for either 4 or 8 years, then I'd like to see Giuliani or McCain as president, as long as the Republican leadership isn't too hardcore to elect a moderate as their nominee.

To Flogen, yes the dems will vote for Hillary, and she may pull more women voters, but probably no more than the usual women voting democrat anyway. Bottom line is 45% or so will always vote for each side in a two way race, so only 10% of the voters make the difference, and those people are very likely to be turned off by the prospect of president Mrs. Clinton if the people I know are any indication. Undecideds didn't vote for Clinton because he was a Clinton, they voted for him because he was personable, had very reasonable economic policies, and he was up against a terrible candidate (Dole) in '96, and Perot took a lot of votes away from Bush Sr. in '92.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Who cares about first lady?

McCain is already too old ([strike]he's in his mid 70s[/strike] ooops he's 68) - the trend is towards younger heads of state. Hillary, Arnie & Guiliani (all in their mid to late 50s) will need to go in 2008 or never. Arnie will also need the constitution changed (president must be native born American, Arnie was born is Austria).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

actaully now that i think of i was going off topic a bit mentioning arnie but if Hillary went Bill would be first lady :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

I think Hilary Clinton would probably run for president in 2008 if Kerry wins the presidency in the coming term and doesn't do well in office.

I seriously doubt Laura Bush is on anti-depressants. Can you pinpoint where you heard that old rumour?

As a point of interest Senator John McCain turned 68 in August and wouldn't be too old to run for president in 2008, in my opinion. Former president Ronald Reagan was sworn into office in January 1981 at age 69, just 17 days shy of his 70th birthday, and was also elected to a second term. The younger ones don't usually get the US presidential job - that job is for "older" people. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I think Bill Clinton would make a very nice First Lady if Hilary wins in 2008. But seriously, a woman President of the USA, she could nuke Russia in a hissy fit if she messed up the housecleaning, or she could menstruate all over some important legislation, then where would we be??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

then where would we be??

About the same place as we'd be if we viewed men with the same manner of trying-to-be-funny-and-failing* stereotypes, would be my guess.

jc

* I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here and assuming this is how you meant it, as its about the most charitable interpretation I can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Arnie can't be voted in, he's not American, it isn't technically possible unless that law was changed. Would be interesting though.

Hillary Clinton would make an interesting candidate for president. Laura Bush, I can believe her being on anti-d's. She probably still has issues what will having killed someone and all (I hear that type of thing is hard to get over).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

But seriously, a woman President of the USA, she could nuke Russia in a hissy fit if she messed up the housecleaning, or she could menstruate all over some important legislation
    TheOnion doesn't need to try to be funny. It just is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

koneko wrote:
    Arnie can't be voted in, he's not American, it isn't technically possible unless that law was changed.
    Which I've already heard rumblings about...

my guess is that win, lose or draw, the Republicans will start campaigning to change this Discriminatory and Unamerican Law* just as soon as they feel its to their advantage
    Hillary Clinton would make an interesting candidate for president.
    Yes she would. However, while she may garner an increase in chances through "the female vote", she will also suffer through the "male-chauvinist vote". Which outweighs the other....I dunno....

jc

* this is how I expect it to be termed once they decide it needs to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I think overall Laura Bush has a positive image, she pretty much keeps her trap shut and smiles when she is supposed to. Remember, she wasnt elected or appointed to any office so it's good that she is kept doing stuff like hosting parties at the White House etc. Unlike Hilary who tried to f-up the health care system after Clinton took office way back when.
    Hilary will try for President in 2008 but she won't get the nom. If Kerry is elected she won't get it and if Bush wins, I would say that Edwards will be the front runner in '08. She is too much a polarizing figure and no way she will win in 08. I voted for Kerry because I wanted to vote against Bush. I would definetely vote against Hilary.
    As said before, Arnie cannot run for president but there is rumblings that a constitutional change may be forth coming. For the repubs, I expect Guiliani will make a run but he is a little too liberal for the hard nose right wing religious nut jobs down south. Maybe McCain but he is in the same boat as Guiliani.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Advertisement