Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Searching 4 PHDs

• 31-10-2004 6:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if I've posted this to the right forum but here goes

I am currently looking out for PHD positions in Ireland & Britain. Searching for PHDs seems to be an awful headache as it usually means trawling through a maze of individual university websites for the various research positions going. The navigational qualities of such sites varies greatly, and can drive one up the wall.

What I'm wondering is whether there is any PHD searching website (something similar to a recruitment website) where institutions submit their positions? It seems to make sense that such a site would exist but I can't find any such thing..

jAH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

there's a list here - http://www.heanet.ie/resources/vacancies.php.
    it's won't be that exhaustive though, you'll still have to check each colleges website, and even contact people individually so see if they've positions available. I found that people are usually very helpful, they'll point you to someone in the dept who's offering places if they're not themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

www.findaphd.com

Its for the UK only though I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

thanks a million, those sites seem quite useful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

If you're looking for a PhD in a college you haven't been to, or even in the college you were in, be very, very careful picking your supervisor. Make sure you and they see eye to eye on the number of hours they expect to see you around each week, if they tend to catch up with you regularly or just when you run into a problem etc (try to find someone that you can work with) and whatever else you do find out the average time it takes their students to finish and write up (and don't rely on them for this, talk to other postgrads). Check out their publications list and find out their policies on authorship.

The last thing you need is a supervisor who doesn't give a rats ass about you or your topic and you find yourself in a position that you've nothing to write up in 4 years - happens a lot more ofthen than it should. Too many people in my year ended up still trying to finish off a PhD 6 or 7 years later.

HTH

Advertisement