Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Bad are the Fireworks?

• 31-10-2004 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

At 6 pm it started in earnest and right now it's like Stalingrad 1943 out by the main road (Ballytruckle area).

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

I think Ballybeg(waterford) is going to blow itself up.... hopefully, sounds crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I dont know I have to go up to weston in Limerick later iI'm expecting falujah to be honest.

they have been going off for weeks but we got a little respite when the storm went through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Some little scum bags where letting off bangers beside the exit from the m50 to tallaght at about 8 o'clock last night, i think they were hiding in the bushes......scared the crap out of me :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

They've been going for hours in Dublin... since I woke up at around 6pm... I shouldn't expect them to wind down until about 3am. :rolleyes:
    It's like a war-zone out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

_sheep wrote:
    I think Ballybeg(waterford) is going to blow itself up.... hopefully, sounds crazy
    in work tonight, and was out for a smoke. ballybeg sounds like kosovo. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Bang bang bang BOOM BOOM bang BOOM BOOM bang BOOOOOOM

- IFSC, currently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Parts of Portlaoise look like Baghdad during the height of the war last year!

I'm just waiting for the UN (let alone the guards!) to come shortly to start confiscating some of these things. I mean, some of the ones I've seen go off (and some of the ones I've seen in person before being let off ;) ) look like fecking Patriot SAMs or RPGs. The size of some of them. Is it just me or do rockets, bangers and fireworks seem to be getting bigger and more explosive every year? The certainly weren't like these when I was growing up.

Is it just me or do rockets, bangers and fireworks seem to be getting bigger and more explosive every year?
    Yeah some of the explosions going off around here send vibrations along the floor of where I'm sitting.
    I think I'm quite brave to be leaving my window open actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

just looking out from my roof.... dublin city centre sounds a bit like beirut at the moment.. as long as it stops when i go to bed... ;)

i somehow doubt it though!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

strange so many fireworks,
    there was a huge garda crackdown on them this year
    not even in the markets you could buy them,
    must be coming from the north

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

Ennis, Co Clare

Sanncoo our intrepid reporter is currently holed up in a house on the outskirts of the town. She cannot venture out for fear of her life. The deafening sound of fireworks boom through out the town. The townsfolk have aparently gone mad, and have taken to dressing up as Barney and Snow white........ :eek:

It's mad, as far as I can remember it wasn't this bad last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Its kind of quitened down here in Leixlip, Co. Kildare, buit by "quitened down", I mean they're not as loud. Still one every 5 seconds, but I think the loud ones are all wasted, or they're keeping them till later.

As much as I hate them, I hope no-one gets hurt.

I was once one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Here I am in Ballinteera just outside Baghdad where open warfare has broken out again. The US 1st Garda division has been forced back to barracks and are currently hiding behind a pile of doughnuts and "cups of tae".

The Insurgents of the infamous Skanger 69th Cider division are running amoke on the streets targeting known collaborators other wise known as the local cats and dogs.

INCOMING !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

lol gandalf. that was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Merview, Galway.

They just won't stop. I pity any refugees who came here to avoid explosions. Also, there's a bonfire the size of a bus fifty yards from the factory.

Ah, Halloween, the one day of the year when my faith in humanity is completely and utterly shattered. Well,that and RAG week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Dundalk- Centre of the cross border trade in recreational ordinance devices, and after a lull due to bad weather mid week, the flagrant burning of gunpowder in a ritual to ward off the evil euro has reached full instensity.
    Always amazed me how the people in this council estate have enough to feed their kids AND have a 3 hour garden display .

Oh wait...that's why the kids are banging my front door asking for fruit and nuts...

Ooh nearly 9 o'clock, might check out the news, see what's going on out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

Ye should all be in the West. I've just been wondering why there are no fireworks tonight! A few bangers earlier and now dead quiet. A few groups of kids out for sweets - some of them even using their manners!!!! Weirdest Halloween in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Its like Desert storm here. There'll be a few less pianists in the world after tonight. For some reason its suddenly mini skirt season out there aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Sydney's Millennium celebrations are not a patch on Cabra tonight...

• Advertisement

There'll be a few less pianists in the world after tonight.

If it's the only way they'll learn, then frankly go Team Mutilation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Some stupid little geebag blew a hole in his leg this evening from a firework. There was much blood and gore.

It seems the little dude in question (he was about 10) put the firework/banger into a plastic bottle and lit it. Then STOOD THERE LOOKING AT IT. Bottle exploded, plastic neck of bottle tore a lump out of his calf muscle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Clonsilla, Blanchartstown, Dublin 15. It's been very quiet here not much going on at all. I envy all you lucky people who have something to watch it's been disappointing here :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

offlercrocgod im down in carpenterstown beside clonsilla and its pretty bad here atm

the maze of estates around are being lit up every few seconds,wish i had went to the pub at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

has everybody run out of wars to associate their own area with? nobody went with the world wars, everyone wants to be unique :D well its like the battle of hastings here at the moment so there ya go, put that in yer pipe an smoke it! :p

Gileadi wrote:
    offlercrocgod im down in carpenterstown beside clonsilla and its pretty bad here atm

the maze of estates around are being lit up every few seconds,wish i had went to the pub at this stage
    Well I may have higher expectations from my firework displays because of the amount and size of them in Italy during New Years Eve. They are legal in Italy so you can get them in shops....and you can get the bigger ones elsewhere ;) Lots of carnage on Capodanno ( N Y Eve ) in Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

I thought most of the explosives in my area had been used up last night because there were huge bangs until about 1am. I was wrong, it's like the bloody Falklands here in Kildare :cool:

A lot more callers at the door this year too. I had to go and buy more dental rotting sweets after only a half hour of callers.

well its like the battle of hastings here at the moment
    Of 1066? Like no gunpowder, guns, cannons. Only a bunch of Normans on horseback? Must be pretty primitive were you live :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

In the middle of the country, looks like sheet lightning all over the place....lots of bangers. nothing big!

• Advertisement

You've hit the nail right on the head there offler, i'm as confused as you are! :eek:
    Meh, I don't have to understand the show to enjoy the show :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Pretty dissapointing at the moment, lots of distant bangers, but little else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

From a small town north west of portlaoise

We are holed up inside this abandend out-building i dont no how long we can last , wait the firing has stoped get 2 50 shot repeters ...... fire , the enemy has fallen back , Now we have them , i hear something ohh wait its only the dog having a heart attack . They return fire 5 misiles are flying right for us , take cover , return fire 2 75 shot repeters and 4 rockets should do th job

Thats pretty much the story :p

"Trick-or-treat-trick-or-treat-give-us-something-nice-to-eat".

The horror.

I gave the three of them a fiver, because they'd put some effort into dressing, and they didn't torture me with a song and dance. What can I say, I'm a teddy bear.

you better hope you dont get any of their friends round to ya, kids spread the word about the houses that give ya money! your in for an expensive night :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You lot think you have it bad, we had one single solitary banger go off next door earlier. Thing is, idiots threw it at the oil tank... Lucky the whole thing didn't go up, it was no small banger, and no recent tank...

• Advertisement

They caught me on the way to work. Hopefully nobody will egg or rob the house. Not that there's much to steal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

well its like the battle of hastings here at the moment
    Of 1066? Like no gunpowder, guns, cannons. Only a bunch of Normans on horseback? Must be pretty primitive were you live Of 1066? Like no gunpowder, guns, cannons. Only a bunch of Normans on horseback? Must be pretty primitive were you live :D

Well, that joke fairly blew up in his face...

Geddit!? Blew up? Ah, nuts to you..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

My dsog scared off trick-or-treaters earlier and I found it funny. My brother ran out and give them €2 each to keep them quiet.

kiunda puts the kids in a halloweens mood, dosen't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The all-clear siren sounded about 10 mins back, at the height of battle the air was thick with pink and green smoke trials hanging in the still night sky. Some of the bangs were earth-shaking.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

out here in glasnevin at the moment, pinned in By the Battle of Cabra West and Finglas South. Its like a competition. Of course, our local adidas tracksuit brigade have amassed a considerable array of furniture, pallets (which Im informed are the dearest variety of pallet by someone who knows his pallet) and of course, the obligatory 10 year old moped with absolutely no casings or the like.

What none of these clever little chaps thought of before tossing said "motorised vehicle" engine et al onto the bonfire, was that there was likely to be a certain amount of trace petrol and oil involved. Thankfully, there were no younger kids close enough to witness the horror (Horror my arse it was funny) of two 16 year old muppets almost kill themselves when the moped went pop. After a lot of them ****ting themselves, they were fine.

It was a bit disappointing because I turned to my mate just before they threw it on and we both reckoned it was gonna go kablammo, but it kinda just went pfffft, lotsa sparks though which were cool.

Suffice to say, I brought my younger sister home from the bonfire then. To the relative safety of our bomb shelter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

SantaHoe wrote:
    Pretty dissapointing at the moment, lots of distant bangers, but little else.

here's a mp3 sound file from what its like here in Dublin's north side :D

http://homepage.eircom.net/~anderson2002/video/31october.mp3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:D I love modern technology! Right who's got the mpeg?

Mike.

good job there ando :D where exactly is that?

good job there ando :D where exactly is that?

Raheny ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

I was hit with a 12 shot repeater today, it burnt my arm. It's killing me now, I might need to bring it to a doctor or something, dunno. I'll see in the morning. But needless to say, the fireworks here started about 3, and are still going. The bonfire is lit 40 foot from my house, I can see it out my window ATM with all the drunks still around it...

If I wasn't broke I'd be one of those drunks. :(

But yeah, I hate fireworks. The little knackers the light fireworks and lob them on the ground, without telling anyone. At least I got the little f**ker that did it. :mad:

did ya get him? did ya did ya? excellent..... :D rep. just for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

ando wrote:

Crikey! And I thought Portlaoise was bad earlier on. That sounds like just constant, non-stop BANG BANG POP CRACKLE BANG up in Dublin from the sounds of things. I pity anyone trying to get some sleep there. Sounds like a bloody firefight in the middle of Fallujah! :eek:

NEWSFLASH FROM PORTLAOISE: The fighting appears to have finally stopped here after an evening of intense artillery bombardment and the constant flash of surface-to-air missiles streaking into the sky, then exploding on impact with their targets in spectacular showers of sparks. Reports have come in, though, of several cars still burning in the Knockmay and St. Brigid's estate areas........... however, that's nothing new in those parts!* ;)

*No offence to any residents of Knockmay or St. Brigid's intended! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

ando wrote:

Isnt Roslyn House in Raheeney, there goes a couple of good guide dogs into early retirement.

good clip you should send that into joe duffy as he was covering this subject during the week of bangers and the havoc they cause to family pets and old people +rep for the clip

By the way, for some reason Limerick went quiet earlier than expected this year. No way near as bad as that clip probably one every five or six seconds could be heard from the City centre at about 8pm.

I've sent it to Joe :D lets see what comes of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Some little BAZTARD let off the loudest bangers I've ever heard in my life at about 4am last night. Stillorgan had been lit up and deafened from about 6 o' clock through to 2am when I finally thought I'd have a chance at getting some sleep for the morning... I was only asleep an hour when ten of these things were let go one after the other...

I hope the little scumbag lost his hand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement