Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Bad are the Fireworks?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

lying on my couch yesterday i heard one huge bang, the vibrations from the thing went through the sitting room floor, since that moment Waterford was under siege, pretty cool to look at them tbh, reminded me of pictures the news had went the american were bombing the **** out of Iraq

well pld all who set off the fireworks in waterford, finished before i went to bed too :)
    (the dog down the way from my house didnt like it all though!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

Was walking to my digs in Galwaya group of youngsters let off a firework, but didn't set it properly. It rocketted horizontally around 2 ft from the ground and nearly killed two fellas [ it landed beside them, they got covered in the sparks]. the two ran over and and gave the lads an unmerciful beating.

My friends cousins live in north Dublin. They once tied a kitten to a firework. I won't describe the consequences. ****ers! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

It's now the afternoon after the night before... Tallaght lies strewn with burned out cars and smouldering bonfires.
    The little feckers emerged about noon, bleary eyed from their retreat, to start bombarding the place where I work with another arsenal of bangers, fireworks and various other missiles... waterbombs included :eek:
    Where on earth do they get the money to buy all this stuff?
    And why don't more of them blow their hands off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Y'know if fireworks were legal I'm sure we would'nt have half this sh1te going on.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Went out to look at the bonfire around 7:30 but they hadn't lit it yet and it was surrounded by a group of skangers who were enjoying trying to take out cars and people with fireworks. They threw one at us when we weren't looking and then totally ignored us when we looked over.

Other then that it was like Iraq invasion with chinese sky candy going off every 2-3 seconds. The ones we could see out by howth looked really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

mike65 wrote:
    Y'know if fireworks were legal I'm sure we would'nt have half this sh1te going on.

Mike.

Did the gardai arrest anyone last night for fireworks possession ? ! :)

Driving out of Tallaght at approx. 5pm after work... and the little monsters had the bonfires in full flamage again!!! :eek:
    I mean for heaven's sake... there must be something more interesting to do than burning random furniture, pallets, pets, cars, bicycles, syblings in the green area outside your house?
    There's a bonfire every 50 houses or so... is one not enough?? :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

<Dioxin> Indeed UK studies (20,21,22) also suggest that as much as 14% of the total UK annual emissions can be attributed to "Bonfire Night" celebrations on 5th November.
    http://www.bpfwindowsgroup.com/Windows_-_A_Transparent_Case_for_PVC_5.cfm

Fireworks and Heavy Metals

The explosion of fireworks has been discovered to be a source of intense heavy metal release that is being addressed in Sweden and other countries. The fireworks that are displayed in the skies to celebrate events such as Independence Day and New Years Eve, etc. contain carcinogenic sulphur-coal compounds. Fireworks spread an odor of black gunpowder and spreads radioactive barium, which makes the green sparkling color and considerable amounts of strontium, along with arsenic, mercury, cadmium, lead, copper, zinc and chromium. These toxic metals have been measured and found to be four to five times elevated in the air after the fireworks displays. In the United States alone, it is estimated that 90 tons of lead alone, are released in an hour or two of fireworks displays. The increased heavy metal exposure constitutes a direct risk for people with asthma, metal allergies and chemical sensitivities. Infants and children are particularly vulnerable and may suffer permanent damage. Many pet owners and farmers are concerned and wild life remains completely unprotected. Many displays are over lakes and other bodies of water, used for drinking water and recreational swimming. This is discouraging and demoralizing to learn that such a vast pollution release on one single occasion is permitted.
    http://tuberose.com/Heavy_Metal_Toxicity.html

http://www.pyro-pages.com/Info/Chemistry/chemical.htm - list of colours & metals
    http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/#MSDS- MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) Information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Update from Ballinteera !!!!

Tonight all is quite and the US Garda 1st Division have taken control of the locality (ie they are still scratching their bollox in the station!).

However spokesman for the Skanger 69th Cider Division Sheik Anto el Shiny Trackkie has promised in a quite chilling threat that "When de lads gez some more of de bangers and rockez we willz get dat cat we missed lazt night like, roite!"

Will this country ever be safe for law abiding cats and dogs !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

This **** used to always finish on Halloween. Now it seems to me that guy falkes night will be celebrated with bangers - etc. I reckon fireworks should be made legal to authorized bodies. I.e. local community big-wheels. Organize local firework displays etc..

Parents whose kids let off bangers etc ad-hoc - have to face fines (okay maybe after warning first). This **** has to stop. I feel nervous smoking in my car with the window open wtf could fly in and blind/incinerate me :eek:

Oh yeah, I nearly forgot... the security guard where I work told me the son of a neighbour of his thought it would be "cool" to put two fireworks into his mouth, light them and see what happened.
    Needless to say he's in hospital in a critical condition :eek:
    WTF goes on in some people's heads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

WTF goes on in some people's heads?

Well in his case a couple of rockets :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

got bus from city centre out to Liffey Valley at about 3pm.. all was quiet.. ish.. apart from huge building efforts ;) By 6.30 the place was like Baghdad!! the most amazing thing I've ever been on a bus for anyway, non-stop from all angles! the bonfires were class too, nothin like we'd have at home ;) must admit they don't do things by halves out that way :D

gandalf wrote:
    Well in his case a couple of rockets :rolleyes:

Oh dear! I can't believe I didn't see that one coming! hehe! :D

Advertisement