Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

probably a silly question re: networking and USB

Options
  • 31-10-2004 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Just a quick q, I have a USB cable for a crappy little digital camera. The cable has 2 USB heads on it. Is it possible to connect my laptop (w2k) to my desktop (xp) using this cable? they dont pick eachother up automatically.

all the best,
    darren

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Q_Ball wrote:
    Just a quick q, I have a USB cable for a crappy little digital camera. The cable has 2 USB heads on it. Is it possible to connect my laptop (w2k) to my desktop (xp) using this cable? they dont pick eachother up automatically.
    No. You'll need something like the USB 2 Link cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Just to clarify there are two types of USB heads, the rectangular flat one and the smaller square one. Each of these heads are supposed to mean different things in the USB standard the square one means this connections to a slave device (e.g. a scanner, etc) and the flat one means it connections to a master device (e.g. a PC). While not striclty adhered to by all manufactuers these are general rules of thumb.

So in your case I assume that you've a flat-to-flat USB style header (i.e. PC to PC). Well unless you can get your hands on specifc USB networking software this cable won't work with a vanilla install of Windows XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

yeah kinda figured it was a long shot. guess i'll have to buy a router or something.

cheers guys

Q_Ball wrote:
    yeah kinda figured it was a long shot. guess i'll have to buy a router or something.
    A router won't help if you don't have an etherent interace on each machine (they don't make USB routers :) ). If you've got ethernet, abd all you want to do is connect the two machines, then a cross over ethernet cable will do. If you have your broadband connected to one machine by ethernet, and you want the other machine to be able to share it, then you should be able to plug it into the USB port on the DSL router (IOL/ESAT and Eircom both provide dual port devices).

And a USB device that will allow you to connect the two machines directly to one another is only €25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

32.99 Euro in Maplin. You'd swear I was getting paid or something.. that's my 3rd reference to Maplin in about 10 posts :|

• Advertisement

ciaranfo wrote:
    32.99 Euro in Maplin.
    €25 at the link I posted earlier (Marx Computers in Fairview)

Ripwave wrote:
    €25 at the link I posted earlier (Marx Computers in Fairview)
    I was just offering an alternative... I don't know where he lives or how far he wants to travel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

ciaranfo wrote:
    I was just offering an alternative... I don't know where he lives or how far he wants to travel :)

You just wanted more of that cash off Maplin's :mad:

lol, I'll just go sit in the corner :(

Advertisement