Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A short rant about... Jokes

• 31-10-2004 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

This is from the Sunday Tribune today by Paddy Murray. Funniest bit of journalism I read this week...

Do you remember jokes? Great craic they were. "Man walked into a bar..", "Did you hear about the dog with two mickeys...?" That kind of thing. Someone would tell a joke at the end of which, everyone else, hopefully, would laugh.

Well as the lousy novelist once said: Dead. That's what they are. Jokes have been killed off by technology. You can't tell a joke nowadays without some gob****e telling you he got it by email last week or by text yesterday. If you hear a joke these days, you have to run into the street and shout about it before someone puts it up on the web or texts it to everyone they know. Almost as bad is the fact that the art of telling the joke is all but dead too. "Great gag", someone will tell you these days, handing you a phone and inviting you to strain your eyes peering at a two-inch screen. As you look, you will invariably be told: "Now, scroll down". Or worse, someone will pull from their pocket a list of gags downloaded from the internet, and begin reading. It's all too sad. Which is why when the two words "Scroll down" are said to me, I always reply. Also with two words.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Pfff, I read that in IRC two months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

dahamsta wrote:
    Pfff, I read that in IRC two months ago.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

It's true... it's an age since I've heard a good joke well told in the pub or work or something. Maybe that's why I like Stand up so much :/

John

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I hate the way lazy stand-up comedians insist on telling the jokes I already know from pirating their DVDs.

Advertisement