Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest Intel CPU with 1066Mhz FSB Review

Options
  • 31-10-2004 10:51pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭

Just seen anandtechs review of intels lastest CPU 3.46EE P4. Looks like another bad day at the office for Intel. They really have to get there act together soon. Still compared to the AMD 64 3800 could be argued its better value.

Here is the link.
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2261

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

AMD need to get a clue they are lying back and letting Intel fix up their mistakes and letting them catch up. This EE is just a distraction and means nothing once the Pentium M desktop machines and dual core machines start coming out it's likely Intel will again gain parity. That means they win - parity between AMD and Intel means AMD lose. AMD being the underdog means they need to release the better product to be able to compete with the incumbent. What they should be releasing is the 4200+/4400+ and FX-57 they should be really hurting Intel by cutting the prices of their CPUs and pressuring them by picking up new technologies like PCI-e and DDR2 as soon as Intel do. Intel is in pain right now and AMD should be really hammering them, instead all they are doing is letting them catch their breath. AMD is repeating the same mistake it made when it was ahead with the Athlon, Intel went on to catch up and eventually trash AMD with the newer Pentium 4. They need to build such a huge advantage over Intel that everyone except Dell ( Cash Inside is too big a draw for Dell ) end up selling their CPUs and sell them by the bucketload*. Also they are nearly non-existant in the laptop market which is nearly 50% of computer sales worldwide, they are in desperate need of improvement in that market and really need to counter the Centrino juggernaut. Things aren't so bleak in Intel HQ Azza, I wish they were :confused:

*in other words equaling or exceding the number of Pentiums shifted by the OEM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Yeah but I think the basic root of this lies in the fact that AMD just doesn't have the ability to produce chips at that rate, they are the smaller company, they have fewer fabs worldwide than Intel, and even the biggest ones like in Dresden can't pump 'em out as fast as Chipzilla's mid-sized plants.

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

Was not mean't as an Intel bash and even if AMD where to take full advantage there production speed would allow them to only capture at the moment a max of 30% of the market. Well aware of the fact that AMD are not well known trying to change that as much as I can. If intel produces better performance I would swap over. But every time I buy a computer AMD at the time had the superior processor.

However if you combine they had to copy AMD's 64bit extensions with the fact they embarrasingly cancelled the 4.0Ghz the bad press originally generated by the prescott. There failed attempt to enter digital tv market in America (or something like it) and the fact there maybe quater 2 before we see new intel cpu's next year just looks pretty bad. There is other stuff. Lot of own goals. ITs just very suprising. You would expect them to get a good product out with the size. AMD have been left off the hook several times. You know its bad for intel when even toms hardware is giving AMD the thumbs up.

The P4 went on to trash the old athlon alright but the athlon had the lead at first and could be argued its regained it slightly with the AMD 64 chips but you expect that the 2 companys would move in and out of the lead when they release new chips. If Intel have nothing coming above 3.8Ghz on a single processor and the new AMD 64 are expected to go over 3Ghz in the next 6 months then AMD will have a considerable lead in a single core enviroment. The dual cores will be like the 64bit OS are now going be no benefit for quite a considerable time except in the server market which AMD is heading to first. I don't think AMD is making mistakes just can't get newer cpu's quick enough. Wish they would change there naming system of there cpu's and advertise more though.

http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44504

Sorry just had to post that link. :) Just saw it had to post it :)

What you reckon thats worth in Intel terms of clock speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

AMD should get a good amount of new customers thanks to the nForce4 chipset and SLI pci-e cards. I just wish they would sort out a less confusing naming scheme for there chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Even as intel are not producing the best chips, they still have Dell buying them regardless. As long as Dell only use Intel chips in their PC's, Intel wont be worried. Sales will remain the same]because AMD arent advertising their chips at all

Good point Dempsey.

Hopefully though AMD can make some inroads into the market though. They do deserve to catch up abit. However I can't see them making significant gains. There not far enough ahead performance wise to break the mindset of people to stick with stick with what they know mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

Why do you guy's want AMD to do better than Intel. Just curious is all. Is this like a Windows vs Linux type situation.

This competition can only benefit us right?

I just want to see rough parity. Keeps one side from dmoinating the market. Keeps cost down and push technology foward.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

Can't argue with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

A weak offering from intel to fight back the competition but more competition please and more cheaper chips for me when I finally take the plunge to upgrade :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

dent wrote:
    Why do you guy's want AMD to do better than Intel. Just curious is all. Is this like a Windows vs Linux type situation.

This competition can only benefit us right?

Its a geek hippy thing. For some reason people hate the incumbant and want the ****ty alternative to win. If roles were reversed, they would be dissing AMD.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Intel seem to be really strugling though..

Its a geek hippy thing. For some reason people hate the incumbant and want the ****ty alternative to win. If roles were reversed, they would be dissing AMD.

Come on John Kerry!

When Intel produce a better CPU I would consider buying it. But that does not look likely any time soon. I would not consider AMD a ****ty altunative when I have seen and heard such postive things. Here is one of many reviews I have seen.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2249&p=4

Overall I see AMD with the advantage but not a huge amount to break the mindset of the average Joe Blogs who are more than likely unaware of the alturnative anyway. and the P4 puts up a good show in some area's. But I think for gamers the AMD is the no brainer at the moment.

Advertisement