Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peace Banshees Arrested at Shannon Airport

Options
  • 01-11-2004 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Spent Up To Four Hours Undetected Beside Runway Reciting Names of US and Iraqi Dead

Four hours and fifty minutes to react! Well done the "security services"

http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=67254

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I suppose Judge whatshisname will take the usual step of banning them from county Clare. Inventive chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

What was the charge? Trespass with intent to pray?

Or just Tresspassing?

They may not have had any harmful intent, but they still tresspassed in an off-limits area. <shrugs>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭unme

These folk might want to consider the wisdom of their publicity stunts aimed at portraying this country as a major player in the American-led war in Iraq.

In reality, Ireland has little choice in the matter of the use of Shannon . Even much larger countries who also bitterly oppose the war in Iraq cannot be 100% free from some co-operation with the western superpower that is the USA.

The insistance of a small number of people in drawing attention to the country in a self-serving and one-sided manner is dangerous and irresponsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

lets bury our heads in the sand and hide the fact that 2/3 of the troops coming to and from Iraq aren't going through shannon?

you may have a point about our ability to act individualy against this sorta thing but thats the very reason we should do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

unme wrote:
    In reality, Ireland has little choice in the matter of the use of Shannon . Even much larger countries who also bitterly oppose the war in Iraq cannot be 100% free from some co-operation with the western superpower that is the USA.

Rot. Check the Swiss policy and explain to me why Ireland couldn't do the same.
    The insistance of a small number of people in drawing attention to the country in a self-serving and one-sided manner is dangerous and irresponsible.
    That has to be one of the first times I've heard the truth described as self-serving (in a bad way), one-sided and irresponsible.

But you know...you're probably right. What is freedom of speech when compared to keeping the Americans happy...

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

chewy wrote:
    lets bury our heads in the sand and hide the fact that 2/3 of the troops coming to and from Iraq aren't going through shannon?

you may have a point about our ability to act individualy against this sorta thing but thats the very reason we should do it.

So what? They could stop at Pestwick. It would only add about 20 minutes to the journey time. The decision has been made to allow the yanks to stop and bring in some vital revenue for shannon, stunts like this arent going to change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

bonkey wrote:
    Rot. Check the Swiss policy and explain to me why Ireland couldn't do the same.
    Because, Ireland is Neutral on the side of the UN (and the US).
    Switzerland has only become part of the UN since 2002. I'm sure there will be pressure from within the country to change this policy if they're going to become an active member of the UN.
    JC, you're there - what fall-out has there been to the Swiss joining the UN?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

chewy wrote:
    Undetected Beside Runway Reciting Names of US and Iraqi Dead
    To abuse the zen question: If a name is recited by a runway and no one hears it, does anyone care?

PH01 wrote:
    Because, Ireland is Neutral on the side of the UN (and the US).
    Good way of putting it :)

Of course, thats a polite way of saying Ireland couldn't remain neutral because we just aren't neutral....its not because we were somehow co-erced into abandoning our neutrality or anything like the post I was responding to seemed to suggest with its "little choice" line of reasoning.
    JC, you're there - what fall-out has there been to the Swiss joining the UN?
    Well, there's not been much to be honest.

There's probably a few more politicios than previously extolling the notion that the Swiss need to take a more active role in the goings on out in the world but only in a manner which doesn't compromise neutrality or independance.

Other than that, I haven't seen a hell of a lot of change at all...

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Sure isn't it "good for business"?
    What else d'ya want?

2/3? Hardly. Do u have anything that backs amount this assumption? Cause the last time I checked Shannon is a small(ish) Irish airport, and the type of traffic you're suggesting would require something much much larger.

As for burying their heads abt Shannon, i don't think most people in Ireland actually care. But I don't have any links to support that assumption. ;)

He said that 2/3 aren't klaz....

Although that still leaves 1/3 which are....which is still big numbers.

err. sorry guys. Totally misread post. <buries head in sand>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

unme wrote:
    You are presumably talking about Ireland becoming a potential terror target. Surely that should have been considered before the decision was made? In any case, what some lunatic fanatic terrorist might do should not be a consideration in respect of people's freedom of expression.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

About 140,000 will pass through this year. 125,000 US troops passed through shannon last year. About 100,000 went through shannon in 2002. (link)

There are about 142,000 US troops in Iraq at the moment. (link)

Considering all of that, I think it's reasonable to say that a considerable amount of US troops that are or were in Iraq passed through Shannon either going to or coming back from there.

Advertisement