Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Grudge Halloween Preview Audience @ UGC

• 01-11-2004 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭

I went to see 'The Grudge' @ 7.30pm in UGC tonight.
    Never have I EVER been to see a movie with a more annoying audience in my entire life!! :mad:
    At least half the audience never stopped talking,shouting or laughing throughout the entire movie. Now I understand: horror movie @ Halloween, what do you expect and all that-- but there's still a certain level of acceptable behaviour, and this was a whole other level. I was @ a Halloween midnight screening of 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' last year, and yeah there was a kinda-jokey atmosphere, but not all time and not close to the rowdiness of tonight's crowd, and certainly not enough to ruin the experience.

In 'The Grudge' people sitting beside me didn't actually understand the movie (God help them trying to watch the original), and their friends proceeded to explain the movie (during the climax) at normal speaking volume. I would've told them to be quiet, but the audience as a whole was so noisy that it made little difference if it was people near you, or rows behind/in front making the noise.
    The worst thing about it was that ushers were present the whole time & just didn't care. Again, making a complaint against practically the whole audience would be difficult to handle, but they didn't even try and keep the noise down. Of course, this also is by far, the QUIETEST movie I've seen in UGC-- usually it's plenty loud, regardless of the movie, action/drama etc, but for some reason they had the movie playing at well below their normal volume.
    I was really looking forward to seeing the movie, but it was ruined by the sheer ignorance of the audience.

I must be getting old, complaining about the youth of today's lack of respect...

Oh, and as for the movie-- I'm mostly undecided until I see it again, but first impression-- the original is better.
    Even though it was directed by the same guy as the original, 'The Grudge' comes across as more wannabe 'The Ring' (US), than a remake of a great horror movie that, imo, is superior to 'The Ring'/'Ringu'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Yeah, I was at that one too. 7:30 and all. Maybe it was worse where you were siting (I was 2nd row, 4th from the right isle) but it wasn't too bad for me. That said, I was right behind the biggest laugher in the whole screen.

Impression: *Sister of dead guy jumps into bed scared* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What really pissed me off was the person who, like, planned to scream really loudly.

It ruined the atmosphere.
    TCamen wrote:
    In 'The Grudge' people sitting beside me didn't actually understand the movie (God help them trying to watch the original), and their friends proceeded to explain the movie (during the climax) at normal speaking volume.

I HATE THAT!!!! :mad: :mad:
    TCamen wrote:
    I must be getting old, complaining about the youth of today's lack of respect...

I'm only 15 (just) adn I wasn't being a eejit. We're not all bad. *Puts on puppy dog eyes* :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Totally agree Hugh re: ppl who PLANNED to shout/laugh BEFORE anything happened. So very very annoying. I was up towards the back so there was much noise all the way through. The atmosphere was ruined. Makes me glad I make a point to watch horror movies late @ night on DVD @ home for the proper effect hehe. Tonight, Suspiria or House on Sorority Row :D

Some of the laughter utterly mystified me-- I really don't know what they were laughing!! :mad: :mad:
    I'll just conclude that they're morons ;)

Also, meant to say-- when we booked tickets over the phone during the week-- the girl said it was assigned seating, but we couldn't choose our seats, nor could she tell us where they were because the computer randomly assigns them, and wouldn't let her see where it was selecting? Sounded like total bullsh1t or The. Most. Retarded. Booking. System. Ever. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

ps-- didn't meant to imply that all young people are noisy! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I saw it in UCI Blanch and there was none of that silliness, the audience was fairly quiet except for them laughing at all the scarier parts.

Really enjoyed the film though, I must say. It was about a million times better (imho) than The Ring (US), though still nowhere near as good as Ringu. Very very creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

koneko wrote:
    I saw it in UCI Blanch and there was none of that silliness, the audience was fairly quiet except for them laughing at all the scarier parts.

Really enjoyed the film though, I must say. It was about a million times better (imho) than The Ring (US), though still nowhere near as good as Ringu. Very very creepy.

Also good experience (audience-wise anyway) at Ster Century at 9.20pm. Expected relieved giggles from audience after a scary moment had passed, but otherwise very respectful and quiet.

I'm with TC on this one - if you're going to pay good money to go see something the very least you can do is keep quiet and pay attention! If you want to talk or laugh or make stupid remarks, GO OUTSIDE! A 'rest of the audience was talking too' argument holds no water, because if even ONE person wanted to see it in peace, everyone should have respected that.

I understand that if the majority of the crowd was acting like prats, there wasn't much you could do, but I have asked for money back before when a couple of juvenile sh1ts have acted up when I've been trying to watch something in peace.

Ah, for my local cinema at home - there may be a crappier sound system and a somewhat smaller screen size, but it's the only place I know where we always get private screenings! (They put on so many showings, you can kind of pick which ones will have no one in them!)

Advertisement