Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get rid of a private address?

Options
  • 01-11-2004 1:44am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Trying to connect to the internet via a wireless modem (windows xp) the pc sees the modem no problem but wont connect to the internet. It appears that the pc has a permanent 'private' address which stays no matter whether the pc is restarted or the modem restarted.

Is there any way of getting rid of this address? XP help says that the address is given when a dhcp server is not found within sixty seconds but the other pc on the network has no such problems. I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

dub45 wrote:
    Trying to connect to the internet via a wireless modem (windows xp) the pc sees the modem no problem but wont connect to the internet. It appears that the pc has a permanent 'private' address which stays no matter whether the pc is restarted or the modem restarted.

Is there any way of getting rid of this address? XP help says that the address is given when a dhcp server is not found within sixty seconds but the other pc on the network has no such problems. I would be grateful for any suggestions.
    It sounds like you're trying to solve the wrong problem. I presume this "private address" you are talking about is a 169.254.x.y address, that's assigned when DHCP fails?

That address isn't preventing you from connecting to the Internet - the way to "get rid of it" is to get your wireless network working, because if you're not getting a DHCP repsonse, then that machine isn't taking to the wireless modem. The fact that the other PC is working suggests that the problem isn't
    with the "wireless modem" (assuming the other PC is connected wirelessly?) so you need to double check the wireless setup on the machine that isn't working.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ripwave wrote:
    It sounds like you're trying to solve the wrong problem. I presume this "private address" you are talking about is a 169.254.x.y address, that's assigned when DHCP fails?

That address isn't preventing you from connecting to the Internet - the way to "get rid of it" is to get your wireless network working, because if you're not getting a DHCP repsonse, then that machine isn't taking to the wireless modem. The fact that the other PC is working suggests that the problem isn't
    with the "wireless modem" (assuming the other PC is connected wirelessly?) so you need to double check the wireless setup on the machine that isn't working.

No I did not mean to suggest that the modem is at fault - its working fine.
    The PC that will not connect to the internet has 'acquired' this private address ( I will get the exact address tomorrow and post it) and in checking the PC support page it said that a private address is allocated when dhcp fails - but dhcp is obviously not failing. At one stage this pc connected to the net no problem and then suddenly stopped (there were no equipment changes) so I dont know how this address issue initally arose - anyways I will get the details of the address and post them. The subnet mask accompanying the private address is also different to the usual one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

dub45 wrote:
    a private address is allocated when dhcp fails - but dhcp is obviously not failing.
    No, if you're acquiring an address that is only allocated when DHCP fails, then DHCP very obviously IS failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to Nets/Comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is a problem which occurs mostly when the machine is trying to connect to a peer-to-peer network specifically. It may pick up your AP/router, but it won't try to connect to it, because it's been told only to connect to other client adapters.

It's a very simple setting, but I don't know where it is, because my machine at home runs wireless on XP, but my machine here doesn't, and it's 2k. :)
    Basically, you need to find a small Dialog Box where you get the option to connect to Peer-to-Peer only, Infrastructure only, or both. Choose both. There's also be a tickbox on that same dialog that says "Automatically connect to non-preferred networks". Tick that too.

A good place to start is to Right-Click on the Network Connection, choose properties, and I think it may be in the General Tab, lower section, where it shows the wireless networks, the Configure button. I may be wrong.

XP can be quite finnicky. When all else fail, take your Router, plug it into the ethernet port on your machine, reset all the settings (keep your SSID though), take off any security, and see if you can connect. Then one-by-one change a setting on the router, apply it. Make the same change on the Wireless card, apply it. If it connects, move onto the next change, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement