Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have a Cloud board about apples?

Options
  • 01-04-1999 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

books smile.gif whatever next tongue.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Heathen!! tongue.gif

OK. Maybe Lord of the Rings was not a good start, so how about something a little closer to home?

Neuromancer by William Gibson.

Famed for his vision of the internet of the future, including the VR aspects Gibsons book is absolutely brilliant. He doesn't bother explaining every little word and phrase but lets the reader catch up in his own time. I'm reading it again for the third or fourth time (secondhand book but someone has underlined passages like they were writing a school project on it or something! Very annoying). Enough about the atmosphere! Just for you bubbles, I'll list the basics,

Sex - yes
    Violence - yes
    Computers - yes
    Quakelike scenes of mass carnage - no

Concise enough?

Anyway, has anyone else read this book? Is his other book, Mona Lisa Overdrive any good? Any roleplayers out there who play Shadowrun or any Cyberpunk genre should definitely read Gibsons books (I'd actually be suprised if you have not already).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

i prefer apples..
    love those nice big juicy ones you can buy in fours in the supermarkets, man they rule

Kali the apple lover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭DeViant

Love Neuromancer.
    Wacked out!
    Love Gibson.

Mona Lisa Overdrive is good, but Count Zero comes first. Haven't read that yet. The whole series revolves around things only pointed at in Neuromancer. Gibson links Voodoo Gods (Vodun) to the 'net. Kewl.

His other books are good too. Idoru is excellent as is virtual light. I'll give ya a loan of them if ya want LoLth.

Here are some good links to Cyberpunk articles from the EFF
    http://www.eff.org/pub/Privacy/Security/Hacking_cracking_phreaking/Net_culture_and_hacking/Cyberpunk/Neal_Stephenson/
    http://www.eff.org/pub/Privacy/Security/Hacking_cracking_phreaking/Net_culture_and_hacking/Cyberpunk/Bruce_Sterling/
    http://www.eff.org/pub/Privacy/Security/Hacking_cracking_phreaking/Net_culture_and_hacking/Cyberpunk/William_Gibson/

De\/iant

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I thought William Gibson was a bit of a
    plonker who ripped his ideas from others.

Actually went to one of his book signings
    with some other IRC heads and I wasn't
    impressed with him at all.

Read SnowCrash, excellent book. Neal
    Stephenson, much better Author IMHO smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 08-04-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Wahey... I knew there had to be another Neal Stephenson fan out there somewhere.... smile.gif

Mata ne!
    Rob

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

Yep amazin stuff alright, anyone read zodiac not as good as snow crash but a damn fine book all the same.

shank1@usa.net
    q2n.quake.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I'm kind of reading that one along with 4 others... 2 Technical manuals, Teach yourself Korean and "Time Machine" which is kind of intresting. Takes off after HG Wells returns from the Future to find he has altered the time stream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

Yeah I have a problem with that as well readin Linux manual/Brian Lumley House of Doors II and inside intel. I get a new book I jus gotta start readin it.

shank1@usa.net
    q2n.quake.ie

Advertisement