Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement screen for X5?

Options
  • 01-11-2004 12:34pm
    Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

Busted the screen on my X5 at the weekend like the clumsy oaf I am. Rang dell and my warrenty doesn't cover it and they don't do replacement screens.

What are my options now? I've been told I can get replacement screens from third parties. Are they reliable and how easy are they to install?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

it is possible to DIY but you'd want to be confident / skilled enough to do it
    Dell Axim X5 Repair Guide

just factor in all the effort/risk and parts/shipping cost etc. might be better to get a new one with a fresh warranty (or extended / enhanced to cover any future mishaps) - bearing in mind they just released a new model in the US (X50) which should hopefully make it's way over here at some stage...

http://www.aximsite.com/ would be a good place to go for specific pointers / advice

BrianG

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Well since it's busted anyway I may as well have a go at fixing it. My boss is a dab hand at fixing things and will be giving me a hand. It doesn't look too bad.

I found this crowd sell replacement screens so I've got one off them and will have a go at it. I'll post up about my experiences afterwards.

A picture of my poor toy:
    pda.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Looks like the actual lcd screen is ok, you may simply need a new cover and digitiser.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Well the new digitiser arrived this morning and after a good bit of fiddling the new screen is in. as good as new bare the rubber feet at the back which I had to remove to get at the screws. The only difficulties I had were with removing the old digitiser(it was hard to get the blade between the lcd screen and the digitiser) and putting back in the cables was fiddly. Working a treat now.

Advertisement