Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand windows 2000 licence's

• 01-11-2004 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys and Gals, an old folks home has asked me to build them a low end PC, it for someone mentally challanged who is really interested in computers, I need a windows 2000 licence and Im not sure if these can be purchased direct from micro$$$$oft or can they be bought second :thumbsup: hand as im on a very very small budget. (donating my old PIII, monitor, keyboard etc)....

:cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Would be probably cheaper to find a PIII with a 2K oem sticker as OEM licenses can't be moved.

M$ don't tend to sell old licenses, they will sell you an XP license, some of which carry downgrade rights - but be careful many of the newer retail products do not offer downgrade rights, forcing companies to upgrade HW and loosing older licenses in an upward spiral.

If the other person is a full time student they might be entitled to the academic pricing. Other wise you'd be better off leaving windows 98 on it - use lcopy to backup the windows folder, so you can rebuild from the dos prompt later on.

BTW: Microsoft have $50Bn in cash lying around because they have very restricive upgrade and re-use policies. And I'd rackon that pile will get bigger rather than them easing up on licencing terms and conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

It’s mighty nice of you to donate stuff.
    Why do you want windows 2000, It's more expensive than Xp
    The site below has some decent prices.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Operating_Systems_20.html

I have herd that M$ do actually had out free copies of Xp to non profit making organizations, it might be worth looking into that.

Advertisement