Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I knew this would happen !!!

Options
  • 01-11-2004 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

About 2 months ago I had the use of a rental car (04 Astra H/B 1.4) for about a week and 1 night I went the flicks with the gf as we would normally do, but when I came out to the car after the film I saw the d/s mirror was damaged. The mirror was cracked and a part of the casing was gone :eek: , so when I brought the car back I told them what had happend, they had a look at the car and said "Ah it's nothing, don't worry about it. It should only cost €50 at the most" I said "mmmm ok :confused: , grand €50 that's not bad" they said "Yeah, sure it's only the mirror and the casing" I taught to my-self grand...

But before I brought it back I took photos of the damage ;) (see below) because I know what these fcukers a like :mad: ...

And low and behold I got a lovely invoice this morning for €160.22c. :eek:

It reads on the invoice

"Supply right hand door mirror complete, Fitting and painting same - €58.29

Sub Total - 58.29
    Paint/Sundrie - 30.00
    Labour - 52.88

Sub Total - 141.17
    VAT @ 13.5% - 19.05

TOTAL EURO - 160.22

So what are my options ? :confused:

Please don't say none :confused: ...

This is obviously a rip-off, if I did go and pay the €160.22 could I ask for the part(s) they replaced ? Because I reckon they just replaced the mirror and casing !!! :(

Pictures001.jpgPictures002.jpg

Pictures003.jpgPictures004.jpg

Pictures005.jpgPictures006.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

well, when you buy a spare part you normally get the entire mirror and can't buy the separate parts of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Had an incident with a hire car last january. When I was returning it to birmingham airport, one of the car hire guys raced out with the clipboard and before I even had the damn thing parked he was pointing out a 'dent' on the bumper. Now I didn't hit anything and nothing could have hit it where it had been parked. I wrote words to that effect on the form and also mentioned the speed at which such a tiny blemish had been picked up considering you had to get down almost on your knees to see it. I never heard anything back from them. I'm assuming I was either taken at my word or they decided to try and blame the next unassuming punter for the damage and ripped up my damage report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

That invoice reads as though you're getting charged twice for the paint and fitting i.e labour, it' also looks as though they could only buy the whole mirror. Try the rip off Ireland board, they might be able to guide you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

Was the mirror actually body coloured (hence painted)? It looks like black plastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin_apache

Fabritzo wrote:
    That invoice reads as though you're getting charged twice for the paint and fitting i.e labour, it' also looks as though they could only buy the whole mirror. Try the rip off Ireland board, they might be able to guide you.

Cheers I just put it in the Rip-Off Ireland section.

I dunno about the invoice if it's right or not well it should be :rolleyes: ...

If they did buy the whole mirror would I not be entitled to the original one ? If there is one at all :mad: ..........
    Was the mirror actually body coloured (hence painted)? It looks like black plastic.

Yeah it was body coloured the same as the car (Gold) ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

about 5 years ago, I had to get a replacement mirror for a honda civic and it did cost me about 120 punt at the time through rathdown motors. I checked around and this was the norm apparently (unless I was ripped off big time!!) as on some cars they have to replace whole mirror unit but if they told you only 50e and you have a name of person who dealt with car when returned it (in an ideal world!) definitely dont let it go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You're not being ripped off, that is a standard main dealer price for a new colour coded mirror. Did you expect the hire company to go to a scrapyard for one?? The co(k-up was the spotty fellow behind the counter at the hire company "estimating" it would cost €50 - sheesh...probably a boards user!! :))

Advertisement