Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone 3G Mobiles Update

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Have been told it will be live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

Cool! The vodafone.co.uk website is updated with handset prices. I believe the Irish Pricing Structure will be announced later today. Wonder how much it will be?

Vodafone Ireland release:
    Vodafone Ireland Announces the Launch of Vodafone live! 3G Services for Irish Consumers
    Vodafone Ireland will initially offer four 3G handset models to consumers. These include the Motorola V980, the Nokia 6630, the Sony Ericsson V800 and Europe’s first 2 mega-pixel camera phone, the Sharp V902. Two of these handsets are exclusive to Vodafone and the range has been designed to offer a wide customer choice of high-, mid- and low-tier priced 3G devices, with prices starting at €169.
    Details of [the] two new big voice bundle packages and handset prices will be announced later this month when the handsets become available in store.

so a bit longer to wait for detailed tariff info to be published...

BrianG

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I watched the live webcast launch and very impressive it was to. I have my Vodafone account manager chasing up a Sharp 902 at the moment should have it by the end of the week i cant wait to try. And i reckon a ready to go model for somebody for xmas would be a lovely present

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

And i reckon a ready to go model for somebody for xmas would be a lovely present

It would. Shame however that prepaid wont be available in Ireland until March/April next year at the earliest.

The handset renge being launched here is quite different to that in the UK also. I think we got the better deal to be honest..

I agree the Sharp 902 looks like sheer quality also the E1000 is supposed to be a great phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Just to tell everyone that sky News Ireland has a bit on it tonight. It's on @ 10 live, but repeated for a while tonight on Sky news Active(press red on sky Digital)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

anyone know what handsets will be released on vodafone for the 3g service and if so when?
    seen the flyer they had with about ten to twelve phones on it but doubt they will all be released here in ireland

• Advertisement

didn't see any 3G handsets for sale in (Dublin) city centre over the weekend - the staff in the Voda stores were saying it 'should be next week'

they also mentioned there should be in-store demos of the handsets when they become available

BrianG

I reckon it might be another week or so before they are widespread in the shops.

The carphonewarehouse business centre told me the 17th Nov today heres hoping i want my 902

Jesus is right with the time scale, there wont be any available before next week. I also heard that there are problems with the sharp so it wont be available for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Spoke to a Vodafone customer service and he told me that the phones will hit the shelves in 2 weeks time. He didnt have the prices for it though. I'm more interested in the prices then when its available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

The Motorola V980 will be in stores on Monday 22nd from €169 on contract.

There will be 2 tariffs exclusive to customers who buy a 3G handset which are supposed to be ''better value than anything vodafone has done before'' but aimed at the high end users.

On standard Tariffs you will pay the standard rates for vodafone live browsing etc. Video downloads from 50 cent to €2.

Now heres where it gets interesting ... Add Ons ... €9.99 per month gets you unlimited downloads of premiership video clips .. which should be available within 30 minutes of the end of a game.

€7.99 per month for unlimited music video downloads.

With all phones purchased before xmas .. You get 1 off these addons for free 'til Feb 2005 so you can download as much as you like.

The Nokia 6630 should be in stores within 2 weeks and the Sony Ericsson V800
    hopefully before xmas .. finally the Sharp SH920 shortly after xmas.

Both the Sharp and the Sony Ericsson are 2 megapixel Cameras !!!

v10 wrote:
    The Motorola V980 will be in stores on Monday 22nd from €169 on contract.... The Nokia 6630 should be in stores within 2 weeks and the Sony Ericsson V800 hopefully before xmas .. finally the Sharp SH920 shortly after xmas.

Both the Sharp and the Sony Ericsson are 2 megapixel Cameras !!!

22nd was the last "should be" date i got too - although they failed to mention the piecemeal availability you're highlighting - pity as i'm not interested in that Moto so the wait will be a while longer...

p.s. the SE V800 deffo isn't a 2 Mega-Pixel camera but a 1.3 Mega-Pixel (max. 1280 x 960)

BrianG

22nd was the last "should be" date i got too - although they failed to mention the piecemeal availability you're highlighting - pity as i'm not interested in that Moto so the wait will be a while longer...
    p.s. the SE V800 deffo isn't a 2 Mega-Pixel camera but a 1.3 Mega-Pixel (max. 1280 x 960)
    BrianG

Yeah your right sorry. Only the Sharp is 2 mega pixel.

BTW .. 22nd is not a should be date .. They ARE available to dealers from Monday.

v10 wrote:
    22nd is not a should be date .. They ARE available to dealers from Monday.

well the latest available date then ;) - hope to see them demoed in store on the 22nd... they need to be out soon to meet the dates given in the press release...

although following your post's info there are still 3 more dates to be confirmed for the other handsets... and they include the one I'm interested in :(

BrianG

I had one for the Motorola handsets demoed for me by two lovely ladies last week and I was quite surprised by them. The screen seemed to be quite good and the video calling quality was very good also. Mind you, I have a major dislike for Motorola phones so I will do my best to avoid the handset.

For the moment, the 6630 is leading the pack considering the Sharp will not be out until after Christmas. I like the V800 but dont think I could stick the SE UI for a few months again. But, the 6630 has not got video calling... Stress

Speaking of which, have a 7610 that I will be letting go of in about 2 weeks.. Anyone interested?

• Advertisement

I had one for the Motorola handsets demoed for me by two lovely ladies last week and I was quite surprised by them.

intrigued to know what the lovely ladies did that was so surprising... ;)

the only Moto 3G handset that's perked my interest so far is the A1000 (Symbian/UIQ based Smartphone)

BrianG

intrigued to know what the lovely ladies did that was so surprising... ;)

I think it was their optimism ;)

If they do just release the Motorola V980 and the Nokia that will be a disaster because the Motorola V980 is just a glorified 2.5g phone and as usual Nokia phones have rubbish cameras and rubbish screens, the only two i am interested in are the V800 and the 902 these are quality 3G phones
    OH Vodafone cant you get anything right if you want people to take up this new service you need much better than two crappy launch phones

Why is the V980 a glorified 2.5G phone? It does everything the SE800 does (that I've tried) - I've had them both for the last few weeks. I find the V980 far weirder to use, but actual features I've tried to use they match.

As for the Sharp being released late, that's not VFs fault. They had a problem that needed Sharp to sort out. Not sure why the SEs wont be avail at launch (if its true they wont be), there are a few around in the office, but they are harder to find than the moto.

I have one of the Motorola V980 now .. Its not bad I guess but not very different from the V525/V550 handset .. with video calling feature and without bluetooth...
    But, the 6630 has not got video calling... Stress
    This is true but it is being shipped by Vodafone with the Video Call Stand:
    350x303_popup.jpg

... I reckon Nokia have slipped up in the 3G area .. 3 of the first 10 3G handsets being launched by Vodafone are Motorolas .. only 1 Nokia .. and it doesn't support video calling without an accessory !!!!

BIGMOOSE as V10 said its basically the same as the 2.5g V525/V550 phones thats what i ment.

BIGMOOSE as V10 said its basically the same as the 2.5g V525/V550 phones thats what i ment.

Fair enough, I've not used them :) It does do video calls and also media streaming plus 384kbs downloads (not that I've actually tested this to be fair) which is what I'd want in a 3G phone.

I am amazed that the Nokia doesn't do VT! I had no idea. Shant be getting one of them then. Not that I see myself making many VT calls, but might be a laugh every now and then...

Big Moose just out of interest do you work in Vodafone and have you seen a Sharp 902 yet if so what are your thoughts. If i cant get a 902 till after XMAS its a V800 for me

Just to confirm they will be in stores on Monday and the fears are true it will only be one phone and that is the Motorola V980. Ah well best of luck to anybody that buys one. I might pop in for a look but will hold off for the V800 or the Sharp 902

• Advertisement

I was surpised by the V980 though, it is not all that bad to be honest. Obviously it doesn't compare to the V800 or Sharp but the price justfies the difference in features.

I have only used the Sharp 902 for about 20 minutes on and off and in that short time I came away very inpressed.. Those who have used the GX20 and GX30 will be familiar with the UI pretty quickly as it is quite similar. The upgraded features such as the camera, screen and VT are the clinchers though, the camera really is incredible for a mobile phone..

The Nokia only for VT with the aid of the stand BigMoose. The fact that the stand is being bundled makes a big difference though as I wouldnt have been happy shelling out Nokia accessory prices for one!!

Advertisement