Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Messengers / IM on Mobiles

• 01-11-2004 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Hey all just wondering if anyone here has managed to get MSN messenger or ICQ working on their mobile phone?

If so what sort of phone do you have and hows it working?

Farlz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

have used Agile Messenger on Symbian handsets (e.g. Nokia Series 60 and Sony Ericsson UIQ)
    www.agilemobile.com

and MSN Mobile itself on Windows Mobile Smartphone and Pocket PC Phone Edition devices
    www.windowsmobile.com

you need an Internet / ISP type connection to use those examples though (not just WAP)

not a big IM user, but has worked out grand when I've used it with those devices and an appropriate connection - although it can be a slower experience when not using a 'proper' keyboard, and mobile data isn't cheap here costs could add up depending on how much you use it

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

The IM Client on Motorola V Series can be set up quite easily for Yamigo

It has it's own IM and then supports proxying of MSN, AIM, Yahoo and ICQ.

Can also be set up for others - Nokia, Sony Ericsson, etc.

As mentioned however it can be a tad expensive with GPRS costs being what they are in Ireland - especially for those on pre-pay. Initial log on is about 11K and about 1-4k every few 5 mins or so. After a few hours it starts building a nice little bill. I think an 8 hour day with little traffic was running at about 400k or so for me. On pre-pay at ~3c per k that's 12 euros!!! Even my 5Mb per month service won't last long :(

-RikD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Cheers for the links, it'll give me something to play with later.

I'm not a big IM user myself either just interested in seeing it actually work!

Cheers

Farlz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Like it says in the title :)
    All I can see is the i-mate range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hi eth0,

2 more...

Motorola MPX200
    Motorola MPX220

Basically any device that runs Windows Mobile 2002/2003/2003 SE

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

I've been using AgileMessenger on my Nokia 3650 for a few months now and find it excellent. I've got one business partner in the USA and another in Spain so its ideal for keeping in touch with them for next to no cost.

I'm hoping they'll be porting it to the 9500 (my next phone) because, even though I've become reasonably quick with T9 entry, a full QWERTY keyboard would make it a killer app.

-Jim.
    http://eirepreneur.blogs.com

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Hi
    Can anyone tell me the best way to use MSN messenger on the move ,no access to land line ,
    Can it used on a PDA or Laptop only ,will it be available on any 3G phones
    Any idea on the cost of connecting while on the move

TIA

Macker

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

AgileMessenger also supports MSN. I've used it to on my Nokia 3650 to keep in contact with a friend in Spain. It works great.

The Nokia 3650 is what's called 2.5G - it supports GPRS, an "always-on" technology similar to what 3G will offer (only much, much slower). It's just about as fast as a 56kbps modem on a PC but I only pay per amount of data transferred as opposed to time 'dialled-in'. That means that "keeping a channel opened" via IM, even for hours on end, can cost only a few cents. It's terrific!

AOL, ICQ and Yahoo IM are also supported.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Jim.
    http://eirepreneur.blogs.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm looking to get some sort of Java based MSN program for my K750i.

Any suggestions ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I have a prog called VeriChat on my Blackberry that does all the major IM's including MSN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

ciaranfo wrote:
    I'm looking to get some sort of Java based MSN program for my K750i.

Any suggestions ?

http://www.agilemobile.com/

Has a Java version

I'll take a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Agile messenger is the best you will find, much better on Symbian sis rather then Java but its you only decent option I suppose :)

They all seem to be .sis or .exe ... should they not be .jar for java versions ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

ciaranfo wrote:
    They all seem to be .sis or .exe ... should they not be .jar for java versions ?
    probably trying to prevent decompiling..

Mobile said it works as a java based program? (I have a SE K750i...) ?

ciaranfo wrote:
    Mobile said it works as a java based program? (I have a SE K750i...) ?
    Any ideas ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Agile messenger is the best you will find, much better on Symbian sis rather then Java but its you only decent option I suppose :)

agile messenger was great but now they're charging for it (20 euro one off payment or 3 euro a month), so if don't use it on a day to day basis to get your moneys worth then it's probably an expensive option.

I'd be happy to pay if it bloody well worked. I can't get the demo to work, so I won't be getting the full version :(

Open to other suggestions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭N90user

http://www.agilemobile.com/

Its looks sweet, just downloaded it. Basically its MSN,ICQ,Yahoo etc for your mobile but if you are on your mobile and your are talking to someone on a pc, then you can record a sound (eg a voice message, music etc) and send it to them as a link. I was talking to a guy and he did it to me today! Very handy!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Do 3 offer any kind of a messaging service that would work with MSN, or do they have any plans for the future? Those data charges being all inclusive... ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

agile messenger was great but now they're charging for it (20 euro one off payment or 3 euro a month), so if don't use it on a day to day basis to get your moneys worth then it's probably an expensive option.

That's only on some markets.. And I have downloaded the symbian and windows mobile 2003 versions recently - and they are not restricted at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Do 3 offer any kind of a messaging service that would work with MSN, or do they have any plans for the future? Those data charges being all inclusive... ;-)

3 will include MSN Messenger soon, but it will cost 1c or 2c per received message... :(

flodis79 wrote:
    3 will include MSN Messenger soon, but it will cost 1c or 2c per received message... :(

Ouch :(

I'll just have to make sure that I always have access to broadband, for MSN... it doesn't sound like there's any cheap way of accessing it via mobile networks in Ireland...

Here's an interesting development:

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/April2006/2992.htm

3 in Oz are now offering unlimited MSN messaging for 5 ozzie dollars per month (30 days). Many of the handsets are the same as over here, so hopefully it won't be too difficult to port the service over to the Irish market... would be a nice little bonus for those of us on the road...

Advertisement