Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VB .net program

Options
  • 01-11-2004 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm having a problem whereby all messageboxes in my VB.net application
    are not showing the text. So when the event happens, the msgbox comes
    up, but there is no text or no icon. There is even no text on the
    button????

Anyone ever see this before???

Cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

If this is a system msg Box then you might need a reinstall. check the "common files" folder to see if any icons are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Polonious

I've just checked, and actually the icons are appearing, it's just the text that is missing... See attachment...

check if fonts required are missing.

Yep it's there alright, (MS Sans Serif). It's a strange one. It works fine in college, but not here in work.

Can’t Remember in VB if you can set the colour in system Msg. you might have it set to the same colour as the background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Post your code.

Here we go, just a simple Message box:

Private Sub btnYes_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnYes.Click

MessageBox.Show("Request has been processed...", "HR Department", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Information)

End Sub

did you try to create a new project, with just this code to see if its a comipler error? every so offen MS compilers do somthing weird. last year i wrote a very small program in Visual C++ and it wouldnt compile. the code was perfect so i copied and pasted it into a new project and it comipled fine.

Yep, I've tried that too, still same problem. I've also tried running it from the .exe and it looks the same too. It's wrecking my head, I just don't understand. I've reinstalled VB.net too, still no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

If the same project runs OK on another machine, I would suggest that it is not a compiler problem.

More likely, it is a .NET Framework issue. Try reinstalling the .NET Framework

Also, change the Appearance Settings in your PC's Display Properties. I have seen cases where message boxes have appeared as all black, because the display properties got changed horribly :eek:

• Advertisement

krinpit wrote:
    If the same project runs OK on another machine, I would suggest that it is not a compiler problem.

To me this would suggest that it is a IDE problem.(machine specific, nothing to do with his code).

jessy wrote:
    To me this would suggest that it is a IDE problem.(machine specific, nothing to do with his code).

I guess the best way to test that would be to create a SETUP project and try to install the application on another machine

You're up late :D

Have tried all of the above (.net frwrk version 2.0) and it's still the same. The only thing I haven't tries is creating a setup program. I don't seem to have that option cos it's "Standard" edition. But the .exe file it create's in the bin folder after a build, has the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Version 2.0 is a beta release isn't it? Perhaps you've found a bug.

Na, it was happening before I installed version 2..

For anybody who is interested, the problem was with McAfee. I run McAfee Viruscan ver 8.0i and I had to disable "Buffer Overflow Protection" in order for the message boxes to work correctly.

Obviously :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 miseme

ermm.. how did you come up with that solution? scuse my ignorance and all.. but how did this cause your prob :confused:

The answer was on another site like this one dedicated to .net. Reason it causes a problem - Dunno!!! Some new feature of McAfee that blocks a hole in MS products and as a result affects message boxes and combo boxes aparently!!! I'm just glad to have it sorted to be honest!

How did you figure it Polonious? it aint exactly obvious.

• Advertisement

Hours of trawling google and putting up posts on other sites. THe answer finally came from here...

http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1045148#post1045148

Advertisement