Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus Problem (Valla.2048)

• 01-11-2004 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

From the start.
    My PC was running v.slow, I had no anti-virus s/w
    I downloaded AVG and installed it
    Following install I was requested to restart my PC...bad move
    Windows won't start up because the AVG s/w has found the Valla.2048 virus
    I have been told that this virus can only be removed in DOS
    I got a DOS boot disk and the PC booted to A: drive
    I cannot get into the C: drive as I have W2k which is FAT32 not NTFS.
    I need some advice.
    thegills

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Try booting in "Safe Mode" and removing it there.

I presume you are using the rmvalla.exe utility? This should work in Safe Mode. You should probably disable System Restore first if you're using it.

You could also try looking at the symantec site if this doesn't work as they quite often produce small virus removal tools for indicidual viruses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Leeroy,
    Booting in Safe Mode doesn't work either. When the login window appears so does the virus alerts and you can get no further. I put the rmvall.exe onto the boot disk but as I can't see the C: drive its of no use.
    thegills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭Japseye

If you still have your Win2k OS disk , boot off that and go into the recovery console, from there you should be able to do what you need to do .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭Japseye

You could also remove the hard disk drive, mount it in another computer with NT, Windows 2000 or XP that has a current virus scanner as slave or on the secondary channel and run a virus scan on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

In the bios disable Virus detection.

• Advertisement

This should be what your looking for.
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_remtext.php?id=valla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Guys during starting up, there is an option for Advanced Starup Options by pressing the F8 key when you the the Windows Is Staing Up status bar.

thegills, try this - I think there is an option there to boot in DOS mode for W2K.

Seanie.

w2k or xp are not built on top of dos, so neither should be shipped with it.

I checked it myself earlier, and there is a Boot In Safe Mode With Command Promp option there.

Seanie.

yes i know there is but command line and DOS are not the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I checked it myself earlier, and there is a Boot In Safe Mode With Command Promp option there
    Thats true, but when you select this option Windows still opens and asks you for a username / password. Its at this point that the virus kicks in as it has appended itself to the files that W2K uses to boot-up. The only option that I haven't tried yet is Japseye suggestion of removing the hard disk and installing it as a second hard disk in a clean PC. This is beyond my remit so I'll be giving the PC to an IT mate.
    thegills

thegills wrote:
    The only option that I haven't tried yet is Japseye suggestion of removing the hard disk and installing it as a second hard disk in a clean PC. This is beyond my remit so I'll be giving the PC to an IT mate.
    thegills

That would really be your only hope left, shy of paying big bucks to a professional IT copany that will get your hard drive back up and running.

I sure hope you have your more important stuff backed up somewhere else!

Seanie.

Advertisement