Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

city break, recomendations?

• 01-11-2004 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

any idea's for a romantic 2/3 night city break, ie madrid, sorrento...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

Would definately reccomend the city of Dubrovnik, Croatia.
    Was there for two weeks this summer. Some people thought I was mad going for 2 weeks and that I'd be bored, but I wasn't.

The old town is spectacular. It's a walled town with narrow streets. It's only entrance apart from the small pretty port is a small gateway with a draw bridge. The whole old town is free from vehicles, it's all pedestrianised.

Old churches and buildings pack the town. Bars are excellent and the food is the nicest ever [loads of seafood] and is very cheap [everything else costs pretty much the same as in Ireland if not slightly cheaper].
    Weather is always sunny in the summer [27-32 C]. But don't be expecting sandy beaches [big ones anyway]. Mostly pebbled beaches.

The old town is even nicer at night [it's more livlier] streets all lit up. Frequented a nice jazz bar situated in a tiny square next to a cathedral.
    Seats are all outside bars here. The wall of the bar was laced in 20mm bullet holes from the war [long since over].

It has to be the cleanest town ever, no papers blowing around at all. The locusts hopping around are a nuisance but despite what local women told me, they are harmless. Ugly though.

The islands up the coast are a must see, esp Lopud, Sipan, and further up, Mjet- which has a natural park covered in pine forest and 2 salt water lakes.

I'm going to stop at that. Also Venice is good, and I hear St. Petersborg, Prague and Budapest are nice also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I'll second Dubrovnik (although I would question some of Herr Captain's info - not really relevant, so I'll shut up about it now). But it would be a May to October holiday imo.

If you're thinking of going soon i'd suggest Munich or somewhere with a Christmas market (Germany, Austria and probably more of europe). They start soon and go on until Christmas (surprisingly enough).

If you're waiting until the spring then pretty much the usual suspects could probably apply (Prague, Budapest, Vienna, Florence, Venice, Paris, Barcelona among others)

[Edit]Just reread original post. Deleted stupid question :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭missy me

Brugges,belgium. its a really nice place,lots to do and all in walking distance.or bus ,really pretty town, easy to get to(via train from brussels) nice pubs and i think a few disco bars(plus its the home of the best chocolate shops ever!!!!!!!)a really romantic place for walks and to just spend time together really. ;)

Advertisement