Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PLUS goes, ITV3 launches

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

will there be listings on itv3 soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

Gonzo wrote:
    unfortunately i cant imagine this itv3 lasting too long for us.. its currently fta and more than likely it will be encrypted very soon meaning blue screens for ireland... it is itv afterall with some of their prime programmes... remember we had itv2 free on its first day too then it was blue screen of death... enjoy it while it lasts i think :([/QUOTE
    gonze where have you been dont you know that itv contract with sky is up at the end of this month so it could be a prelude to all the itv channels going fta..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

But, channelsurfer, as ITV have done a deal with Sky to buy GSB which operated Plus, its possible that they could do another deal in a few weeks.

Todays events have throw this up in the air again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

nods it sounds ominous all right. look out for a deal on nov 19th where itv pay sky about one tenth of the price they pay now probably for soft encryption. but itv3 is fta on free to air receivers so that is a plus side ..wait until tomorrow to see if it still is..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Definition of ITV3

ITV3 is an entertainment television channel in the United Kingdom owned by ITV plc. It is planned to launch on the terrestrial (Freeview) platform on November 1, 2004 and will be available on the Digital television satellite (Sky Digital) and cable platforms once distribution deals have been finalised.

The channel will mainly be aimed at the over 35 audience, and the company are hoping to use it, and extra investment into its ITV2 channel to triple non-terrestrial revenue within five years.

Programming will include:

Detective and contemporary:
    Inspector Morse, Midsomer Murders, Touch Of Frost, Prime Suspect, Foyle’s War and Cold Feet, plus UK premieres of new dramas.

ITV classics
    Maigret, Cadfael, Jeeves & Wooster and Mapp & Lucia
    Top US crime drama

Films
    Big Hollywood hits including A Fish Called Wanda, The Color of Money, Rain Man, A Fistful of Dollars and What About Bob?
    Catch-ups
    ITV1 favourites like The Bill, Parkinson and Heartbeat repeated the same night.
    Themed nights and new commissions

Including behind the scenes shows from ITV1’s major dramas, and another chance to see great ITV dramas one and two-part dramas like Henry VIII, Wall Of Silence and My Beautiful Son in their entirety on Saturday nights.
    itv3.pngitv3.pngitv3.png

Hasn't been as much excitement here in ages :):D

ITV3 is now going into
    Freeview_bible3.jpg

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What's the chances that down the line, Men & Motors will be rebranded ITV4? I think it highly likely.

As for ITV3 remaining FTA, it's hard to call. ITV bought over GSkyB at the last minute and seemingly threw ITV3 into a position on the EPG as quickly as possible and didnt have time to update EPG programming info! It'll be interesting to see if it will remain FTA or go FTV or subscription....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Colm80

Why do so many people think sky will block ITV3 in a few days. Cant see that happening. Well i hope it wont.

Well Itv 4 is on the way in the new year so more than likely M & M will go.

So if Itv is to go clear and i mean if in 3 weeks will we get Itv 1 & 2 on epg.

If this happens will Ntl be a good deal any more not that it ever was. I suppose Ntl will brain wash us now with Ch4 or Setanta to keep subscribers. They wont be able to plug UTV hopefully soon.

TV 3 must be getting a bit worried now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭djpaul

Come on ITV, we've waited long enough!!!!! ;)

• Advertisement

Colm80 wrote:
    Why do so many people think sky will block ITV3 in a few days.
    Well because thats what happened when ITV came to Sky digital first.
    It was available from November to about the first week in january iirc on Irish cards via add channels and then it was blocked by Sky at the request of the ITV network centre.

It's looking increasingly likely that ITV will come though given that ITV3 is FTA and given what fungus posted on the other thread from the media guardian.

But look at Ch 4-a lot of its programmes are on e4 and available to ROI cards in that way, but not Ch4 itself, so there are silly precedents already that don't favour the republic of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i had a look at ITV3 last night and all i got was the blasted no signal message

but this is a problem with my dish/lnb as the same result came when a different box was plugged in. damn weather messing everything up

Earthman wrote:
    Well because thats what happened when ITV came to Sky digital first.
    It was available from November to about the first week in january iirc on Irish cards via add channels and then it was blocked by Sky at the request of the ITV network centre.

Aw yes I remember it well, its nearly 3 years to the day :cool: , but None of the ITV variations were available on the EPG and only available through the other channels option.
    Besides I'm after looking through the line up for ITV3 and it appears just to be another repeat channel. Where as programming rights won't effect TV3 or the other ITV regions.
    Maybe ITV are paving the way quietly and descretly for a total switch to FTA and once ITV3 has its EPG placing behaind ITV2 Sky aren't going to screw around with ITV1 placing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭donhughberto

I see subtitles aren't on this channel yet, i suppose they will pop up for hard of hearing people as all ITVs other channels have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

DMC wrote:
    Well, that was a damp squib! :eek:

I watched with baited breath as the on-screen clock ticked down to the launch of ITV’s latest digital channel ITV3 last night. I have to say it was one of the most anti-climactic moments in TV history. Without so much as a hullabaloo, the announcer said welcome to ITV3 and then it was straight into the murder mystery Rebus. Couldn’t they have mustered a bit more enthusiasm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Widescreen

If they muster the same hello for ITV1, ITV 2 and Channel 4 and Five I won't be complaining!! Don't think anyone else will be either :D

• Advertisement

Search and Scan programes now available to ITV 3 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Colm80

Thats good news at last.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Colm80 wrote:
    So if Itv is to go clear and i mean if in 3 weeks will we get Itv 1 & 2 on epg..

If ITV goes in the clear, the chances of ITV1 and ITV2 being on EPG is slim. They would need to be accessed via Add Channels, I would imagine, same as BBC Three and BBC News 24 etc.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭mike2084

byte wrote:
    If ITV goes in the clear, the chances of ITV1 and ITV2 being on EPG is slim. They would need to be accessed via Add Channels, I would imagine, same as BBC Three and BBC News 24 etc.

Would do me. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

byte wrote:
    What's the chances that down the line, Men & Motors will be rebranded ITV4? I think it highly likely.

ITV Phwoaar! perhaps?

I would be surprised if they rebranded M&M with the itv name, I wouldn't have thought that they would see associating the itv brand with the smutty M&M programmes as a good move. Ditching them altogether is unlikely as they are excellent money-spinners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

ITV has never been happy with rip-off Sky encryption charges.

There can be a point, esp. now BBC is FTA, that it is easier to negotiate with rights holders than with Sky, after all, Sky is a monopoly on encrption for Digibox, but alternative programs can be bought and the "rights issue" is not so important on home produced programming.

Also ITV has always been on 2D smaller footprint.

I heard late last night (I don't watch Sky box much) and immediately pulled out the "card". My money is on it staying FTA, or at least FTV, but since no-one can get FTV cards in UK, why would ITV limit themselves.

IMHO it is more TV3, NTL and Chorus that have stood in way of ITV/C4/Five in Ireland as almost all programs (all except odd sport fixture) have Irish rights anyway (75% of Ireland can get ITV without Sky).

It is RTE et Al in UK that is a problem, not UK stations in Ireland.

It will be interesting to see what happens to ITV1 & ITV2.

My money is on "Five" losing analog terrestrial licence and becomming a Pay Only channel. It messed up the UK analog TV band plan as it was only ever meant to be Digital. With Sky's holding in Five this is likely. As a Pay TV Ch it would be likely on Sky Ireland too.

Sky keep offering me new digiboxes and cheap subs to come back :-) Maybe if they offer a rental free Sky+ box :-) (I'd take 6mths subscription if the stupid box still worked on FTA channels with no sub. I refuse to rent a video recorder, esp. when my PC does direct FTA MPEG recording on Satellite and has DVD writer)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Given ITV3's appearence on cable here, you're possibly safe with it on satellite at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Bad news Mossy - due to ITV3 acquiring Plus's programme rights they have scrapped plans to show "catch-up" repeats of The Bill. The planned weekend omnibus has also been scrapped. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

****, must make phone call pronto

Glenn wrote:
    Bad news Mossy - due to ITV3 acquiring Plus's programme rights they have scrapped plans to show "catch-up" repeats of The Bill. The planned weekend omnibus has also been scrapped. :(

Glenn, Where did you hear this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

djpaul wrote:
    Glenn, Where did you hear this??

Over on the Digital Spy forums. The EPG listings were updated today to remove The Bill from the schedule and replace it with 'The Jury'.

Advertisement