Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those of you suffering US election fatigue on Tuesday Night

Options
  • 01-11-2004 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭

Before you sit down to watch round the clock election coverage through the night (you know you are admit it) can I suggest an alternative program to capture your attention before polls close in the west coast.

At 10:15 on RTE 1 (after prime time) the documentary "Family Fortunes, DeValera's Irish Press" will be screened.

The documentary looks at the foundation rise and collapse of the Irish insituation the Press group, founded using money raised by Fianna Fail followers in the 30s and yet became a DeValera family resource. It's a story of corruption, betrayal of ordinary Irish people, and despite the paper's collapse ten years ago it still continues to this day.

It features interviews with Tim Pat Coogan and Emmanuele Kehoe and other former press workers, it was shot in dublin and new york and includes archive footage and reconstructions specialy shot.

In my mind anyway it suggests the culture of corruption and the ruthless persuit of power at the expense to the population of this country is not a recent occurance in the Fianna Fail party. But rather a culture inspired and created by "the chief".

I really think many members of the politics forum would enjoy the documentary and would enjoy discussing some of the issues raised.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Will probably take a peek at that alright! I'm heading on holidays early on Wednesday morning but I'll still probably watch until the wee hours!

Advertisement