Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭grimsbymatt

Finished reading Of Mice And Men by Steinbeck a copule of days ago. An excellent novel.
    Finally started reading Catcher In The Rye. Not mad about it TBH.
    I read Of Mice Men on the train the other day and have now started The Catcher In The Rye - according to comments read on Boards, it doesn't sound like it's going to be any good at my age. Maybe I'll read 1984 first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

I read Of Mice Men on the train the other day and have now started The Catcher In The Rye - according to comments read on Boards, it doesn't sound like it's going to be any good at my age. Maybe I'll read 1984 first.

Go with 1984 first. Best book ever! Finished Catcher In The Rye and it was awful IMO. Can't work out what the big deal is about it. I didn't relate to it at all. It could be argued that that is because I'm too old for it at this stage but if I had've read a few years ago when I was 16, I still wouldn't have related to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Feet Of Clay - Pratchett.
    Tres good book! From the period when Pratchett was writing his best.
    dudara wrote:
    The Dante Club - Matthew Pearl

Took a while to get going at the start, but I'm currently enjoying it.
    It was the same for me. It's quite good it's just the ending let's it down a bit because it drags out; but the rest is enjoyable.

I agree with the above post dump Catcher and read a REAL book: 1984 is class. As for myself.....

I'm presently readin' Dan Simmons's Hyperion it's a sort of Canterbury tales in the 29th century; it's quite enjoyable some of the tales are very interesting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Finished Catcher In The Rye and it was awful IMO. Can't work out what the big deal is about it. I didn't relate to it at all. It could be argued that that is because I'm too old for it at this stage but if I had've read a few years ago when I was 16, I still wouldn't have related to it.
    Touché.

Finally finished it yesterday so back to reading Billions and Billions (Carl Sagan) by day, and
    Sunstorm (Arthur C Clarke & Stephen Baxter) by night....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭supersheep

This week, oi have mostly been reading "The Balkans, 1804-1999" by Misha Glenny (my holiday reading, apart from Dan Brown books <shudder> and some Hemingway short stories). It's very good, although he does occasionally skim over some sections - especially the revolutions, which are often just alluded to more than described. One to read if you're interested in history, especially the Balkans - anyone who's doing the Eastern Question in history would be advised to read the description of the Council of Berlin, very informative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Am currently on holidays so am basically eating books, but a really good one is "The Armchair Diplomat on Europe" by Melissa Rossi. A really great read, good to dip in and out of but very informative with numerous interesting facts and observations on Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

In the middle of Justice Denied by Jimmy Guerin. its meh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Reading The Good Apprentice by Iris Murdoch. Very interesting ideas on ethics and a good, engaging read too!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Currently reading Auschwitz by Laurence Rees. Very chilling book detailing the creation and implementation of Nazi policy. Very well written and engaging despite the horrific subject matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Reading "Middlemarch" by George Eliot, and "That Hideous Strength" by C.S. Lewis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Reading "perfume" by Peter Suskind(I think that's his name)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Kafka's The Trial. Don't really have much idea what's going on >_>

Franky Boy wrote:
    Reading "perfume" by Peter Suskind(I think that's his name)
    Excellent book! very absorbing and chilling, or at least, so I remember.

At the moment, I'm reading one of my teenage sister's books, "Eragon" by Christopher Paolini. Fantasy stuff based around dragon riders, but not bad at all. A nice easy book for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

dudara wrote:
    At the moment, I'm reading one of my teenage sister's books, "Eragon" by Christopher Paolini. Fantasy stuff based around dragon riders, but not bad at all. A nice easy book for a change.

Recall liking that - also noticed the sequel has just been released in Easons.

Currently reading Shadow Warrior - nice in a bounty hunter way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The Fall Of Hyperion by Dan Simmons it's very good; I like it even with the bits and pieces of poetry in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

Catch-22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius - by Dave Eggers

This is a fantastic book, so descriptive, funny, real, tragic. It encompasses everything. It's a while since I enjoyed a book as much as this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived by Robert Rankin.... I swear I'm gonna lay off the Rankin after I finish this one. I've being reading far too much of his lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The Men Who Stare At Goats by Jon Ronson. Ive only just started it, and its completely insane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Foundation and Empire - Isaac Asimov. Great continuation to the saga.

• Advertisement

Eragon wasn't bad at all. considering the author wrote it when he was a teenager. You can see the LoTR influence, but still, not bad at all.

I finished The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood yesterday. What a great book. Short and simple, yet a fantastic story about love and loss. Thoroughly recommended. If anyone read "The Time Traveller's Wife" then they'll probably like this

Just started Kings of Albion by Julian Rathborne. So far so good, but it's early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

"Nam: Vietnam War in the Words of the Men and Women Who Fought There"
    by Mark Baker.

Just starting it really, it's a collection of lots of personal accounts from veterans, the reasons why they signed up, their experience etc. I'm amazed at how young they all were, 17/18 years old, and they're being sent to kill and die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Skip

The Tin Drum by Günter Grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

the invisible man
    h. g. wells

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

Just finished
    Bolivian Diaries by Che Guevara
    The Making Of A Legionnaire by Bill Parris

Just Started
    Jupiter's Travels by Ted Simon
    A Season With Verona by ?
    The Naked Soldier

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Skip wrote:
    The Tin Drum by Günter Grass.

That's an absolutely great book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

-The lion, the witch and the wardrobe
    (the movie is coming out soon, and I want to relive my childhood...em hem...it's soooo good,sigh..)
    -Confessions of Sveno

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Last weekend I bought:

The Idiot: Dostoyevsky (downstairs in Easons, O'Connell Street for €2.20!)
    Book 3, Part 1 (can't remember the name) of George R.R. Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series
    The Ancestor's Tale: Richard Dawkins

Have started on Dawkins first, excellent so far, I have read most of his books previously and enjoy his style and the content covered. Many of the 'popular science' books that cover evolution and evolutionary theory are wonderful.

Anyone read War of the Flowers by Tad Williams? I have read almost all of his works and really loved them, but would like to hear an opinion before diving in...

Alana wrote:
    -The lion, the witch and the wardrobe

You just made me put that on my next-to-read list. Time to go home and steal it from my kid sister

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

The Mosquito Coast by Paul Theroux.

Just started it so can't really comment on it yet. I finally finished the French Lieutenant's Woman, I got kind of bogged down in the middle of it but not a bad story overall.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement