Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 GumDropButtons

The Boer War, by Thomas Pakenham. So big and pretty... mmm, history....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Grapes of Wrath - Stienbeck

Finished 'rule of four' last week, great story right up to the final few chapters which were poor imho

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Finally finished the Mosquito Coast this week, very odd book.
    I also read Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman, it's his short story and poem collection which I greatly enjoyed.
    On top of that I also managed to read the first Anita Blake book, Guilty Pleasures which is written by Laurell K. Hamilton. It was a nice little read and distracted me from a lot of things I should've been doing other than reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭pukey

read Smoke and Mirrors a while back, really good. good omens is really well worth reading too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Just finished:

Jarhead - Antony Swofford, great read, highly recommend.
    Eleanor Rigby - Douglas Coupland, classic Coupland but not his best.
    States of Fear - Micheal Crichton, I needed to pass the time!
    Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - Ditto.

Starting Burmese Days - Orwell, great so far, love Orwells writing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

On top of that I also managed to read the first Anita Blake book, Guilty Pleasures which is written by Laurell K. Hamilton.

The Anita Blake books are good for a read alright. I personally thought they started tailing off after book 9 - Obsidian Butterfly - which is easily the best imo.

*cough* *cough* There is a link in my sig where all the Laurel K books are going cheap. *cough* *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Just started part 3 of The Dark Tower. Thought it was a trilogy but have learned much to my chagrin that it's in 8 parts. :eek: I have access to the fourth part but after that I'm in trouble...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Jay Tomio

Finishing up Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora, and Maureen Mchugh's collection, Mothers and Other Monsters.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just started part 3 of The Dark Tower. Thought it was a trilogy but have learned much to my chagrin that it's in 8 parts. :eek: I have access to the fourth part but after that I'm in trouble...
    LOL.

I have a reluctance to start trilogies etc. as it means you have to write off so much reading time. 8 parts - yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Just bought Judas Unchained by Peter F Hamilton - only released today, and Im already trying to resist its call..... Still got it in Trade Paperback format from Easons so saved me €9 over the hardback in Waterstones.
    It's in paperback already?! Are there many copies left?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Suprised By Joy - C.S. Lewis ; kind of a biography but also an account of Lewis' spiritual milestones in his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

SofaKing wrote:
    It's in paperback already?! Are there many copies left?

TRADE paperback - the giant sized paper back thats sometimes larger than the actual Hardback version. I only saw it in O'Connel St Easons. The rest of Dublin either had the Hardback or not at all. (it was the first day of release).

There were a pile of about 20 copies there on Sat.

I've noticed that happens quite a lot here - Irish chains get the trade paperback (easons, Hughes and Hughes etc)versions and the UK owned chains (waterstones) get the Hardback versions of new books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

The Plague - Albert Camus
    A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson

only about 100 pages into each, but really liking both of them so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 aptappellative

Just finished 'Case Histories' by Kate Atkinson. Couldnt put it down. Anyone read it? What d'you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

Just finished reading "a million little pieces" by James Frey

Intense and vivid and brutally honest. Excellent :) Anyone else read it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Nick Hornby - A Long Way Down

Halfway through and really enjoying it.

Although theres Four novels I'm supposed to have read for college already ....but, eh...hmmmm Yea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Fallen Dragon by Peter F Hamilton not as good as Nights Dawn trilogy but still very enjoyable - I think I'll start reading all his other books I'm quite liking this author's style :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The Demon Haunted World - Carl Sagan.

And a random Clive Cussler just before kip-time. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Jay Tomio

Currently working through The Strange Adventures of Ranger Girl by Tim Pratt, and Glass Soup by Jonathan Carroll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭tinka

Great Expectations - Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Demon Haunted World - Carl Sagan.

And a random Clive Cussler just before kip-time. :D
    good one first one.

As for Clive I can imagine him at his word processor ..
    Find "Titanic carrying rare metal" Replace All With "Roman Tresure Ship"

ReReading There and back again aka The Hobbit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'm reading a biography of Bill Hicks called American Scream by Cynthia True.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Closing Doors

1984....yes I know, I should have read it long ago..blah blah :p
    Something to keep me occupied til Book 11 of Wheel Of Time arrives (hopefully tommorow!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Reading Bleak House by Dickens, just finished Feist's Magician. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

The Stand, Stephen King

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭pukey

just read coraline by neil gaiman on the plane, a childrens book but very good i thought. starting south by ernest shakelton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

I'm about 100 pages into Tracy Chevalier's
    Girl With a Pearl Earring.

You can almost feel the imagery she creates. It's beautifully written.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I read Oscar Wilde's "Lord Savile's Crime" last night and then started on "Anansi Boys" by Neil Gaiman. I didn't like it at first but I'm starting to get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

theCzar wrote:
    Reading Bleak House by Dickens, just finished Feist's Magician. Excellent.

I've been thinking about that too, what with the BBC version starting on Thursday.

Finished "My Name is Red" by Orhan Pamuk and "Operation Red Jericho" by Joshua Mowll recently. And I'm about ahlf-way through "Sheepfarmers Daughter" by Elizabeth Moon. (Every so often I just have to give in to those fantasy urgings)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Neal Stephenson's System of the World just came out in paperback (finally!) the other week. So picked that up this morning for €12 - am looking forward to it. Im a slowish reader so hopefully, by the time ive finished it, Peter Hamiltions Judas Unchained will be out on paperback :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement