Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

The Rules of Attraction - Bret Easton Ellis

Second time, this stuff is so fupping caustic and dare I say it applicable to a certain extent to modern Eire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭pukey

finished "South" by ernest shakelton tonight, looking at "50 facts that should change the world" by jessica williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm rereading ''Lolita'' by Vladimir Nabakov. I loved it the first time but I didn't really feel like I had appreciated it and absorbed it as well as I could have. Also I'm a fast reader so I often don't properly take in what I read. I'm reading it more slowly now ans really enjoying it, I'm picking out things and realising things I hadn't noticed first time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 greengoddess

At the moment I am reading Never Let me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. Great book!!!

Just finished "My sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult....... Loved it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm reading 'The Da Vinci Code', by Dan Brown!

I'm a little behind the craze, but I don't normally read that much, so it's a wonder I'm reading it at all! :p

Anywho, I'm on about pg 250 -- brilliant book so far!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Piste wrote:
    I'm rereading ''Lolita'' by Vladimir Nabakov.
    One of my all time favs - read it a couple of times too.
    I'll always remember the description of the chess game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Which chess game? there are a few. I can think of one quite memorable one though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Piste wrote:
    Which chess game? there are a few. I can think of one quite memorable one though.
    Think it was a game Humbert played against Gaston (sp?) later on.

edit: Found it!
    I suppose I am especially susceptible to the magic of games. In my chess sessions with Gaston I saw the board as a square pool of limpid water with rare shells and stratagems rosily visible upon the smooth tessellated bottom, which to my confused adversary was all ooze and squid-cloud.

Wow haven't seen that in 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

Tietam Brown by Mick Foley.

(Who used to be Mankind in WWF. Bizarre eh?)

It's very good so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

A Feast For Crows, Book 4 in A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin.
    Reading it for the last two weeks actually but mainly only on the bus to\from work and am taking my time with it, had been waiting for it to be published for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭EvilPixieOne

My Cousin Rachel - Daphne du Marier(sp?). dont think its as good as Rebecca but I suppose it's a hard book to top

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

A Darkness at Sethanon by Raymond E. Feist a book that sort of meanders along until it remembers it has to conclude a trilogy which it then promptly does. The last 1/4 of the book is the really good part as for the rest it was OK; standard fantasy fare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The Dragonmaster trilogy by Chris Bunch. Average fantasy for the most part, with one or two nice bits. I do like the way that, since it's from the point of view of a soldier, magic is very unknown and mysterious and best left alone. Quick reading too, you could do worse to fill the gap between reading bigger things.

finished "ireland: a novel" by frank delaney, which i wasn't mad about, started slowly, got better, then got convoluted in its efforts to tie everything together and end with everyone having a nice day.#

back to starting "50 facts that should change the world" by jessica williams, unless i find something better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Little Giant

I'm reading Wuthering Heights at the mo..i always meant to read it but only started when I was sick in bed! Really, really good. Also, the Trinity Law Review.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Starting reading Small Gods, a discworld book by Terry Pratchett. Nice reading so far, especially just coming off Ulysses by James Joyce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭grimsbymatt

The Virgin Suicides, by Jeffrey Eugenides, is my book for this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Finished Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys on the luas home. It was ok, I don't see why there's so much hype about him. All the best bits just made me think "A poor man's Douglas Adams". Going to dip into some Poe tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just started "Teeth of the Tiger" by Tom Clancy. Always been a big fan of him, he can really write a good adventure story, but he's gone downhill lately

Just started Never let me go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

just finished
    do androids dream of electric sheep? by Philip K. Dick,
    very good read.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dudara wrote:
    Just started "Teeth of the Tiger" by Tom Clancy. Always been a big fan of him, he can really write a good adventure story, but he's gone downhill lately
    Red October - great.
    SSN - a second rate US sub sinks 60 Chineese and Russian subs. The End.

Just finished Stalingrad, not as good as a old book that I lost, the old book was written shortly after the war.

just started "brave new world" by aldous huxley. pretty good so far.
    have read "doors of perception" and "heaven and hell" by him aswell.

pukey wrote:
    just started "brave new world" by aldous huxley. pretty good so far.

I keep meaning to read this as last year I did an essay on prozac for college and every second review mentioned this book when discussing the willingless of GPs to prescribe prozac outside of clinical depression. Bit of an aside there. Back to what you're reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Finished "teeth of the tiger". it's really weak, pity, cause for the most part, I've enjoyed his novels.

Started "Guns, Germs and Steel" which is trying to explain how society developed at different rates in different geographical locations

picked up "2001: a space odyssey" by arthur c clarke this morning aswell. i might have too much spare time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

just got "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel

been reading it for about a week.. very nicely written but it's starting to get a bit crazy...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Thud! by Terry Pratchett; as usual I liked it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Rantorama

Just finished,F.Scott Fitzgerald,The Great Gatsby.

Great stuff.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

I'm going to start some Henry Miller I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement