Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

A book on the history of aspirin. Very interesting but the style of writing is a bit of a headache :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Have had a feast of Neil Gaiman in the last few weeks. Read American Gods, Neverwere and Anasi Boys and i loved them all.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Currently reading "The 7 habits of highly effective people", as mentioned in that other thread. Started it back in May or June and got sidetracked by stuff like Ulysses, Brave new world, Small Gods, Sophie's World, Geisha.. plus some others. Got a pile of books at home that seems to get bigger every weekend when I pass the second hand book market.

The 7 habits is an interesting read, if not overly targeted towards America.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

John2 wrote:
    A book on the history of aspirin. Very interesting but the style of writing is a bit of a headache :D

*groan*:rolleyes:

anyway... I got 2 books off my uncle by Uruguayan writer whose name escapes me atm, they're the first 2 of a trilogy that charts the history of South America via thousands of short fictional accounts. looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

I'm about to tuck into The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭pukey

george orwell, "why i write" for the plane tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

just about to finish lolita by nabokov. starting the great gatsby next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Just got a book of the complete works of T.S. Eliot the other day. Much reading ahoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Rantorama

Planet Simpson,Chris Turner
    For anyone who loves the Simpsons,tis great:v:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Reading A Confederacy of Dunces now, very funny stuff.
    Just finished One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

Excerpts from The Decameron and Thousand and One Nights (for class)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Jay Tomio

Dusk by Tim Lebbon, a new fantasy effort due out the end of January from the Bram Stoker award winning author, as well as Martin's A Feast for Crows (finally). Also working on Gabriel Garica Marquez's Memories of My Melancholy Whores

I recently finished reread of a manuscript of Scott Lynch's debut The Lies of Locke Lamora which comes out mid 2006 that I just think is going to be a major fantasy release,

Finished Four and Twenty Blackbirds by Cherie Priest, a fantastic southern/horror work, as well as Jay Lake's Rocket Science, a bit of a throwback to old school science fiction atmosphere, very competently written by one of the most prolific and noteable short story writers currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Finished The Alchemist. Didn't like it at all....
    I'm a copule of chapters into Dracula by Bram Stoker. It's really good so far, a promising start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I just finished Rising Sun by Michael Crichton. And I started a book on UML the other night. Cant imagine i'll keep it up though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

im reading american psycho..its really good..i tried it before and i couldnt get into it..different now though..
    i read orhan pamuk and snow last week also really good.!

Some more Poe tonight. I'm slowly getting through his complete works.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Finally finished A Game of Thrones (George R.R. Martin) the other day, so now I'm straight into A Clash of Kings.

Thanks to the Boarders whose raves introduced me to this series - absolutely lovin' it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Michael Collins by Tim Pat Coogan

its amazing some of the books people actually put time into reading..
    my two cents

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

adonis wrote:
    its amazing some of the books people actually put time into reading..
    Such as?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The bible?
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

I'm a copule of chapters into Dracula by Bram Stoker. It's really good so far, a promising start!

I just finished it last night; A bit "meh", And I'm not sure about the ending. I thought it was a bit abrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

This week I are mostly reading The Provoked Wife by John Vanburgh. My drama group is doing it atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭NineMoons

This week I are mostly reading Georgette Heyer - Faro's Daughter which I finished on the train. Not one of her best.
    Have just started Neil Gaiman - American Gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Time by Stephen Baxter a bit too hard to swallow tbh and the authors hard-on for the Great And Allmighty USA is somewhat annoying; I suggest passing this one out for anyone who likes truly possible Sci-Fi.

Such as?

a lot of the stuff a lot of people are mentioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭pukey

a book called "irish myths and legends" by micheal scott. picked it up at an airport. 'nuf said

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

This week I am reading Tom Stoppard's book of plays; 5. I'm currently on Arcadia.

A collection of TS Eliot poetry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

The Heart of the Matter by Graham Greene.

Bit of a slow burner so far.

Recently finished The Colour of Memory by Geoff Dyer - reccommended.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement