Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Oh so it's kind of different drafts of how he constructed the world rather than background info? Thanks for the insight btw.

Exactly. And a lot of the notes are just the relationships between the languages and previous versions of the languages or old English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Closing Doors

John2 wrote:
    Exactly. And a lot of the notes are just the relationships between the languages and previous versions of the languages or old English.

Hmmm....doesn't sound overly interesting. And they managed to milk, what, 10/11 volumes out of it? Is it literally just his notes slapped in a book or there a commentary etc. ? Sorry to be asking so many questions....

It's all his various drafts for all the books he did and then a commentary by his son (who seems to be just as obsessed as his father). There's some nice things like correspondence from CS Lewis about the Silmarillion and alternative and unfinished stories. I say give one a go and then see how you go from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Personally I found them turgid pieces of crap. They offer an insight into his obsessive World building - but very little readable prose.

Dont expect them to be anything like the LOTR trilogy.

One for Tolkien completists, uber nerds or budding obsessive authors only tbh.

Is it me or is there the faint hint of cash-in about them?

Personally I found them turgid pieces of crap. They offer an insight into his obsessive World building - but very little readable prose.

Dont expect them to be anything like the LOTR trilogy.

One for Tolkien completists, uber nerds or budding obsessive authors only tbh.

Is it me or is there the faint hint of cash-in about them?

Just a faint hint. But it's like b-side and unreleased song compilations, won't appeal to the general reader but it's gold to the hardcore fan.

• Advertisement

John2 wrote:
    Just a faint hint. But it's like b-side and unreleased song compilations, won't appeal to the general reader but it's gold to the hardcore fan.

Excellent way of putting it.:)

Right I'm taking a break from these oft-mentioned Tolkien books and getting in the Christmas mood with some more Poe and some HP Lovecraft. Yes Christmas is weird in my house :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Jay Tomio

Recently finished Umbero Eco's The Mysteriosu Flame of Queen Loana, now reading Paul Auster's Leviathan, and Jeffrey Ford's Cosmology of the Wider World.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just finished Stephen Baxter's "Coalescent"

Don't know what to read next!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Robert Ludlum's Bourne Trilogy- nearing the end of 'Identity'

Might as well be considered an entirely different story to the movie. He's not a great author.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

August 1914 by Solzhenitsyn. I don't know if I spelled that right ;)

Putting other books down as I just got The Thousandfold Thought by R. Scott Bakker today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Just finished Lord of the Flies. Excellent. And now for On the Road...

Undergod wrote:
    Robert Ludlum's Bourne Trilogy- nearing the end of 'Identity'

Might as well be considered an entirely different story to the movie. He's not a great author.

Considering the book was written a decade or two before the movie its not surprising its different. IMO the 3 bourne novels are easily his best works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Love all the people - Bill Hicks.

As it's really a collection of his stand-up gigs with a few essays thrown in for good measure, can become very repetitive at times.

Finished R. Scott Bakker's TheThousandfold Thought - powerful, the best completed epic sequences in at least 25 years IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭supersheep

Just finished A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving - thanks to my girlfriend for lending it to me. Pretty damn amazing. I actually felt a sense of loss on completion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Ring was a decent enough yarn. I started Grapes Of Wrath by John Steinbeck yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Vangelis

Reading Virginia Wolfe's "The Voyage Out".
    Next will be Jean Paul Sartre's "The Imaginary".
    I simply can't wait!! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

supersheep wrote:
    Just finished A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving - thanks to my girlfriend for lending it to me. Pretty damn amazing. I actually felt a sense of loss on completion...
    I know exactly what you mean. I think that A Prayer for Owen Meany is the best of his novels.

In other news, I'm currently reading Villa Incognito by Tom Robbins. It's very good, I'm really enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

"Libra" by L.J. Doyle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

The human Stain by philip roth

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just finished "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire. Didn't think much of it to be honest, it really didn't live up to the expectations I'd had.

Just started "The Oxford Murders" by Guillermo Martínez. So far, it's really good.

Crytsal Rain by Tobias Buckell and Summer Isle by Ian R. Macleod

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Player Of Games - Iain M. Banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Night_Rocker

Would it be cool if i posted an unfinished story i'm writing and get general criticism from you guys? Just to let me think what you think and if it's goin alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Night_Rocker

Please pay no attention to the name. I have no idea what i was thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Vangelis

Who wrote this?

You will get far better quality of criticism in the Arts -> Creative Writing forum to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Hells Angels - Hunter S Thompson

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement