Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Equinox Book of Science: The Earth, the Brain, Space, Warfare.
    Written by Challoner, Grayson and Harclerode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Iain M. Banks - Dead Air

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Terry Pratchett - Carpe Jugulum; re-reading something I know I'll like :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

A dodgy book called "Thunder Run" by David Zucchino. It's about the American invasion of Iraq, concentrating on the "thunderrun" into Baghdad. Reading it for information rather than pleasure, it has been sitting on the shelf for the past 6 months - an unwanted gift. I find it annoying the way the killing in it is glorified. The author dedicates the book to his father who was a Vietnam vet and Korean vet.... thus the book is rather American biased.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Terry Pratchett - Carpe Jugulum; re-reading something I know I'll like :)
    Brilliant book...resting in my bag atm :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Tim Pat Coogan - DeValera: Long Fellow, Long Shadow

Have forgotton how to read over the past few months, need a concentration span transplant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Homer - The Iliad

Enjoying it so far. Roughly 2/3 through. Not as good as The Odyssey though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

DH Lawrence - Women In Love

*tears of envious hatred*

;)

Tchocky wrote:
    DH Lawrence - Women In Love

*tears of envious hatred*

;)
    Welcome to boards :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just finished the Day of the Triffids quite different from the film. So even if you didn't like the film it still worth a read for the whole "cold war" setting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Jay Tomio

As I'm making my way through Tobias Buckell's forthcoming Crystal Rain, I just received another book that on my 2006 most wanted list, Daniel Abraham's A Shadow in Summer, the first book in The Long Price Quartet - really been looking forward to this seies.

GRRM had great thing to say about it from the blurbage:
    "he tells their stories in an elegant style that reminded me by turns of Gene Wolfe, Jack Vance, and M. John Harrison"
    -GRRM

He invoked MJH and Wolfe! :) Huge expectations.

The usborne illustrated dictionary of science

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Last night I started "The Truth" - another discworld... a recovery read from the last one a few posts above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Just finished the Day of the Triffids quite different from the film. So even if you didn't like the film it still worth a read for the whole "cold war" setting.

Freakin' rules. I love that novel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

reading timothy hindley - headhunter.... pretty good, I find myself kind disagreeing with alot of his moral viewpoints but it's an interesting read and I'd be willing to believe that I'm misinterpreting stuff.

The magicians' guild - trudi canavan

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

Just started Game of Thrones - GRR Martin, 1st book of Song of Ice and Fire - one of those books I've been meaning to read for ages.

Just finished Georgette Heyer's The Corinthian, delighted her books have been republished as I read many of them when I was in school but only ever managed to buy one or two.

The Fifth Elephant

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Am reading Selected Works of Anton Chekhov, a Shakespeare Classics print

Evocative Russian short stories with at times obscure moral statements and ponderings. Very enjoyable so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I've Galeano on hold to read "Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson. great read.

Misty Moon wrote:
    Just started Game of Thrones - GRR Martin, 1st book of Song of Ice and Fire - one of those books I've been meaning to read for ages.
    Just finished that :)
    on to the second one now.
    Also just read the black magician trilogy and loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

The Plot Against America, Philip Roth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

Just finished "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, and about to begin "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas.

Pandora's Star - Peter F Hamilton

Knife Of Dreams - Robert Jordan. It's much better then the last two books (finally action and some wars! I even spent a few late night on it :)) but I'm seriously wondering if Robert Jordan is writing all of it because the style difference between some books seems odd......maybe it's just proper editorial control.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

About to start Nicholas Nickelby by Charles Dickens..

It's my novel for Junior Cert and need to re-read it... yay.....

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

conversations with toni morisson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

The Plot Against America, Philip Roth
    I'm just about to start that myself.
    Looks like being a fantastic read. Great premise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

JCDenton wrote:
    Just finished "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, and about to begin "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas.

Love the Count of Monte Cristo - one of my favourite books ever. First time I read it I found it deadly boring for the first 150 pages or so but once you get past that it's unputdownable. I think in part it just took me a while to adjust to the older style English as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement