Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Bleak House by Dickens

....It hurts!

I enjoyed that a lot but most people I know hate dickens on account of his meandering seemingly plotless narrative. I just loved the writing, particularily his rants against social injustice.

Finished "Silverthorn" by Feist, starting something or other by Clive Cussler, the books I hate to love...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solas
    Also started Carl Sagans "Contact", based on the movie of the same. Because I'm familiar with the movie it seems difficult to not want to skip forward a few chapters and requires pateience, which is difficult personally.
    Seems to be the way with books that have been translated onto the big screen and you've seen the movie first.

Frickin' love that book. But I love all Sagan's stuff and most sci-fi so go figure!

Dont' skip anything you won't be disappointed.

After you have read Contact you might be interested to read Idlewild by his son Nick Sagan. Its very very good. One of my fave's from last year.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I'm am currently reading: Knees Up Mother Earth by Robert Rankin.

It's a bit of fun like all his books. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭**elaine**

This week I am reading One by One in the Darkness by Deirdre Madden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Reading A.N. Wilson's biography of C.S. Lewis.
    A good read for any Lewis fan, Wilson divulges more of the 'juicy' details than Jacks himself ever would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

The Wealth and Poverty of Nations by David Landes

Plenty of ammunition there to fire at the student lefties on the Politics board (though I really have got better things to do nowadays)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The Bible - some guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭pukey

just picked up "the dreams in the witch house and other weird stories" by HP Lovecraft. haven't read anything by him before so hoping it'll be good

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

pukey wrote:
    just picked up "the dreams in the witch house and other weird stories" by HP Lovecraft. haven't read anything by him before so hoping it'll be good

I really like him. The Dreams in the Witch house is a very scary tale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭curious_george

A Time of Gifts - Patrick Leigh Fermor

Excellent so far, the descriptive language he uses is quite unique.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Angela's Ashes - a sad book, but told in such a way through the eyes of a child that I cannot stop laughing aloud each page or so. Very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

Just starting The Waste Land by T.S. Eliot.

It's a very rich poem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

I'm re-reading The Rum Diary by HST. It's truly brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

Frickin' love that book. But I love all Sagan's stuff and most sci-fi so go figure!
    I love sci fi too but prefer watching it, mostly because that kind of imagery translates so well on the big screen, lazers and wormholes and whatnots. I Will get into it but I've put it aside for the minute. I decided to totally wreck my brain by doing a complete 180 and picked up "Christ the Lord" by Ann Rice. (same lass who did the vampire chronicles/interview with a vampire) It has my attention so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Jay Tomio

Shriek: and afterword by Jeff Vandermeer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Just started Magician by Raymond E. Feist. I don't know if I'll read the entire series, it's been ages since I read a fantasy novel. I'll see if this one floats my boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lord Slayus

LAIR by James Herbert....the man is a genius. Also a lot of star wars and residenty evil novels..........

Auschwitz: A History by Sybille Steinbacher

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

A Storm of Swords, Book Two, George RR Martin.

3 down, 2 to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

Gene by Stel Pavlou

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Heart of Darkness. And by a coincidence 'Apocalypse Now' was on the other night. I had no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭hepcat

Paradise by Abdulrazak Gurnah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Masculinity in Crisis by Anthony Clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭pukey

finished lovecraft, finished "generation X" by coupland. thiking about starting "leviathan" by hobbes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Jay Tomio

Finished Jeff Vandermeer's wonderful latest novel, Shriek: an Afterword, a return to one of the exceptional fanatsy setting i n fantastic fiction, Ambergis - great book but one of my favorite fantasy writers.

Right now I'm starting Elantris by Brandson Sanderson, I was supposed to get this book last year, and finally just received it. This is a rare standalone epic fantasy nvoel, and Sanderson's debut. It was getting some buzz, but most people I talked to (whose taste I tend to respect) said it was okay - not great. I'm glad to finaly be able to decide for myself:)

Recently, I put up my review of R. Scott Bakker's third and final installment of his Prince of Nothing sequence --a mindblowing series -- The Thousandfold Thought.

After making way through Elantris I'm hoping to move into Douglas Lain's latest, a collection entitled Last Week's Apocalypse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

band of brothers - its been on my shelf for a couple of years, so I thought I might as well :)

Just finished High Society, despite myself [I think the bloke himself is a bit of a twat] I'm really liking the few Ben Elton books I've read . I'll have to check out the rest of his books now.

No idea what to read after BoB - I think I'll find something on the non fiction thread and amazon it.

Ken Kesey's One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. It's better than the movie but it's impossible to think of McMurphy as anyone other than Jack Nicholson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

just finishiing Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. I've read hundreds of books and novels and without doubt this is the best thing i've ever read in my entire life. Has anyone else ever read it? Apparently johnny Depp plays the main character & narrator "linbaba" in the film that is due out next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Charlotte Grey - Sebastian Faulks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

"Long Shadows- Truth Lies and History" by Erna Paris.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement