Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Labyrinth by Kate Mosse

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Dave3x

Just Finished Reading "Paradise Lost" by John Milton, because it's on my course.

Reaction? OH, MY, GOD, THIS BOOK IS INCREDIBLE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Morrigan

"LSD - My Problem Child" by Dr. Albert Hofmann

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

John2 wrote:
    Ken Kesey's One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. It's better than the movie but it's impossible to think of McMurphy as anyone other than Jack Nicholson.

Afraid I'll have to agree to disagree with you there, I think they're equally good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

lunar park by bret easton ellis

very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

-House of Leaves. I'm only 120 pages or so in but I'm completely immersed.

-Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence. Pretty neat so far.
    John2 wrote:
    Ken Kesey's One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. It's better than the movie but it's impossible to think of McMurphy as anyone other than Jack Nicholson.

That's weird...a buddy of mine said the exact same thing to me last week when we were discussing this book. :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 warrenz79

tiza poetry book..very good so it is: have a lookhttp://www.lulu.com/content/223090

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Cosmic Trigger - Volume 3 by Robert Anton Wilson.

Brilliant, but not quite as good as the previous two.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke.

I'm not a big fantasy/whatever reader but the characters are very interesting and the scene is set very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Feu wrote:
    Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke.

I'm not a big fantasy/whatever reader but the characters are very interesting and the scene is set very well

Just finished them - interesting books, bit fussy in places, and fairly inconclusive ending imo.

Fresh take on a fantasy setting though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lyrama

I'm finally starting Chaos by James Gleick, lol I've been meaning to read it for yonks but only got around to it now :p !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'm reading the John Peel book Margrave of the Marshes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Just finished Saturday by Ian McEwan. Very good.

Any recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Just started Ecstasy by Irvine Welsh. It's taken him about 6 pages to broach the rather taboo subject of necrophilia! He's a sick bastid but a great writer all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

Incompetnce by Rob Grant. Very funny book. I highly recommend it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm finally there... A Feast For Crows (George RR Martin).

Man, that book is a pain to lug on and off the train every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

The Pyrates! by George McDonald Fraser

It's like every pirate story you've ever wanted mixed into one, completely historically innaccurate, but hilariously quirky and Monty-Python-esque at times, the characters (characitures!) are cliched and over the top, but they're all balanced out and their adventures never let up throuout the book.
    This should so be made into a movie, it's got movie cues in it and everything (like when the author suggests what kind of music to use, and what kind of camera shot to use)

Amazon here (with reviews and such)
    Easons here

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Because I'm an idiot, I'm juggling between reading several different books at the same time. They are:

Chaos at the Crossroads by Frank MacDonald and James Nix.
    The Secret Life of Tony Cascarino by Tony Cascarino and Paul Kimmage.
    A Drink With Shane MacGowan by Some Woman.
    Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Starting the latest Ross O'Carroll-Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

Joe - is 'A star called Henry' any good?

Im reading 'American Psycho' by Brett Easton -Ellis it took me a while to get into it but Im hooked now I just love the main characters mad way of thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

a star called henry, i read that when i was younger. wasnt very impressed. but then again, its so different to his other books... and im sure id appreciate it much more now that i'm older with four years of english lit in college behind me. reading the shadow of the wind by carlos ruiz zafón at the moment, also without my cloak by kate o brien and non ti muovere (dont move) by margatet mazzantini

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

keevita wrote:
    a star called henry

Is that the R. Doyle book set in the early 20th century? if so I liked that a lot.

I've finished Clive Cussler's Black Wind, not his best but there's flashes of goodness sandwiched in between the chapters of crud that I'm blaming on his co-writing son.

Started reading "A Tale of Two Cities" by Charley D. Only read the first three chapters last night. The scene setting is stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Re-reading The Hobbit

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

The Great Gatsby - F.Scott Fitzgerald.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

"Cloud Atlas" by David Mitchell. Really reminds me of Margaret Atwood's writing for some reason, but I am enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

david gremmel blood stone and angel tower storm tad williams. good books all in all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭pukey

"jupiters travels" by ted simon. good so far

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Read "The Little Prince" today, and then started "Catch-22".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. Completely bonkers in a very absurdist kind of way. Very funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

BopNiblets wrote:
    The Pyrates! by George McDonald Fraser

It's like every pirate story you've ever wanted mixed into one, completely historically innaccurate, but hilariously quirky and Monty-Python-esque at times, the characters (characitures!) are cliched and over the top, but they're all balanced out and their adventures never let up throuout the book.
    This should so be made into a movie, it's got movie cues in it and everything (like when the author suggests what kind of music to use, and what kind of camera shot to use)

Amazon here (with reviews and such)
    Easons here

:D
    I might check that book out, sounds intriguing...

Currently reading Everything is Illuminated by Safran Foer. I'm really enjoying it, very funny at times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement